Bell Hotel

Gareth Epps
👍 2

Wed 10 Aug 2022, 17:44

There are two potential routes, Charlie.  One is English Heritage.  

Charlie M
👍 5

Wed 10 Aug 2022, 07:41

Gareth (and maybe others too), is there nothing that can be done to bring pressure upon Greene King to carry out maintenance upon this listed ACV? To myself as a casual but caring observer, it seems that what is being allowed to happen to this building is little short of vandalism of a much-loved local asset. 

Gareth Epps
👍 3

Tue 9 Aug 2022, 23:02

While I’m sure many of us could join a lengthening queue of well-meaning advisors on the subject of how The Bell could become what we all thought it should be, it remains an empty building that is doing the town centre no good in its current state.  
Greene King has not advertised The Bell for sale or to let.

We all know what it could be, but that is a matter for those in charge of the building.  If there is no more positive news soon, then perhaps it will be our turn to start to state what is largely the bleeding obvious in terms of or ideas.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Tue 9 Aug 2022, 16:49

We used to take the kids down a lot during the noughties because of the big garden down by the stream at the bottom of the little valley even though the beer was indifferent to be polite. If a way to calm the speed of cars coming through to the car park was implemented and some sort of clearly differentiated pedestrian walkway seperated from the car park bit implemented that would be a big improvement. Although the kids are at university or graduated now and it won’t affect us must be younger generations of parents would love to see the back field built up into a family friendly good quality dining venue. So much family venues have terrible junk food. Oh and good! Vegetarian options! My kids are virtually vegan for environmental reasons and teenagers might be persuaded to attend if they get better than baked cheese…

Hans Eriksson
👍

Tue 9 Aug 2022, 15:53

That would be amazing news if Tom and Pete of the Bell Langford takes it on. We were there last week and the food was amazing. Tim Hayward of the FT one of the finest food writers in the country wrote a glowing review. https://www.ft.com/content/a45e47b9-e9bc-4da2-ae28-d570bf0d349d

Happy days.

Georgia Styring
👍 2

Tue 9 Aug 2022, 14:41

I have heard from people who have chatted to those going in and out recently that it has been taken on by the people who own The Bell at Langford and The Lamb at Shipton. Time will tell I guess, but good news that someone is hoping to finish off the work and open it.

Gareth Epps
👍

Tue 9 Aug 2022, 10:40

It may have been sold as a going concern, but as the Town Council has had it listed as an Asset of Community Value, we should have been notified had a sale gone through.

My understanding - and it hasn’t been advertised as such - is that Greene King was looking to put a new tenant in place.

denise martyn
👍

Tue 9 Aug 2022, 10:26

I heard the Bell has finally been sold, can anyone confirm?

Simon J Harley
👍 2

Sun 7 Aug 2022, 16:49

I have noticed today that the rear roof fire escape door is wide open. I don’t know if someone is living there, whether it’s been accidentally left open or someone has broken in?  I will drop Greene King a message to let them know.

Chris Tatton
👍 1

Wed 15 Dec 2021, 16:37

Totally agree with Charlie’s observations on the Bell Hotel. Christine,  the exchange with Greene King when they denied the Bell was one of theirs, was about two months ago. 

Charlie M
👍 9

Wed 15 Dec 2021, 11:55

Personally I would love to see The Bell reopen exactly as it was. The food and beer were absolutely superb, and I would be sad to see it turned into another highfalutin glory box where you are expected to pay £6 for a pint!

Gareth Epps
👍 4

Wed 15 Dec 2021, 11:18

Well, Greene King yesterday resolved the fire alarm that had been ringing in the hotel for some months....

The Bell is on the agenda of tonight's TC meeting.

Christine Battersby
👍

Wed 15 Dec 2021, 11:16

That's interesting, Chris.  I presume you are talking about a recent Facebook exchange. 

The Bell was valued at £1 million as a Greene King asset by Christies (Ireland) in 2019. 

See https://ise-prodnr-eu-west-1-data-integration.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/legacy/Prospectus+-+Standalone_3c12ba4f-f0f1-47e6-b32a-b5ac74027a9a.pdf

If Greene King says that they no longer own The Bell, they need to explain when in the last couple of years they ceased to own it.

Chris Tatton
👍

Wed 15 Dec 2021, 09:59

Interesting that you say the tenancy on the Bell has not been advertised by Greene King yet, Gareth. When I raised the issue of the Bell reopening via the Greene King Facebook page, they denied that the Bell is one of their pubs. In the circumstances the quicker the Town Council apply for an asset of Community listing on the Bell the better, me thinks. 

michele marietta
👍 7

Tue 7 Dec 2021, 17:07

I agree with you Charlie!!

It sure would be swell to turn it into something remarkable. 

Charlie M
👍 12

Tue 7 Dec 2021, 15:57

In my view it is essential that The Bell is declared an ACV. I hope the Town Council can work for this to happen as soon as possible.

Gareth Epps
👍 4

Tue 7 Dec 2021, 15:18

The next town Council meeting will discuss whether to confirm the ACV application, which has been drafted and is awaiting final feedback.

To my knowledge, the tenancy has not yet been advertised by Greene King.

Harold Laff
👍 9

Mon 6 Dec 2021, 16:54

Anybody have any information as to when the Bell Hotel is due to re-open? Presumably the Town Council has ensured that it is listed as an Asset of Community Value by now? 

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.