Mushrump walk and talk??

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Fri 3 Dec 2021, 14:40

If buying a book, much missed Jon Carpenter was vituperative about what I would call the “predasite-ory” practises of the ultimate multinational corpserat Amazon/Alphabet for bookselling. He recommended HIVE (simply hive.com or .co.uk I think) based in Eastbourne for online book purchase and ebook “licensing” (from what I’ve heard one doesn’t own an ebook, just have a licence to use it). I set up an account with Hive when Jon shut up his bookshop, up until then I liked the feeling of “popping out to the bookshop’ cos my books arrived” experience, especially with the kids when young. 

Also I’ve been trying to remember the name of some sort of independent bookseller network that has been (? or was being mooted) or might be in existence and that was also doing wholesale distribution of material to booksellers. Anyone with links to the publishing world able to inform us of any substance to this? 

Liz Puttick
👍 1

Thu 2 Dec 2021, 19:06

Entangled Life is by Merlin Sheldrake, and delighted that he's just won the Royal Society Science Book Prize

https://royalsociety.org/news/2021/11/2021-royal-society-science-book-prize-winner/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA-qGNBhD3ARIsAO_o7ynAFnt0l7NY0-5zfF_a3e-0yZO8m5R23fTg-0vaxeKs-pxuFZAc3IEaAi2LEALw_wcB

michele marietta
👍 2

Thu 2 Dec 2021, 16:28

https://www.bbowt.org.uk/events/2021-12-21-fungi-beautiful-killers-or-benevolent-helpers

Malcolm Blackmore
👍 1

Thu 2 Dec 2021, 14:54

I've been inspired by two books recently:

Finding the Mother Tree: Uncovering the Wisdom and Intelligence of the Forest by Suzanne Simard and: Entangled Life: How Fungi Make Our Worlds, Change Our Minds and Shape Our Futures by Martin Sheldrake. There is a third book in the trilogy I've got to work through: Soil The Incredible Story of What Keeps the Earth, and Us, Healthy by Martin Evans. Next on my list.

Yes, that name Sheldrake, familiar to many a scientist raised during the mid 1970s and into the 80s. And I have no idea what traction the ideas have nowadays. Martin is the progeny of the "oddball??" Rupert Sheldrake of Morphic Resonance (in)fame ... but I've always had a uncomfortable feeling in the back of my consciousness that there might, just, be something a bit ... strange ... going on with complex bio-geologic systems... quanta, dark thingummies ... As Isaac Asimov put it - the two most exciting words in science are "that's funny...?"...

Apparently its been one of the wettest "summers" on record and thus yielding a bumper crop of the weird, wonderful and often gastronomically gorgeous fruiting bodies whose sudden appearance overnight are the only visual indication of the mass and entangled complexity below.

So I'd love a guided walk in a promising area or two for fungi. Does anyone know of any locally? Or perhaps some knowledgeable person could do a sudden Pop-Up fungi tour in a couple of different ecosystems? My ignorance is utterly profound and if it isn't in a plastic (boo!) tray on a supermarket shelf my default setting for seeing any mushrooms is that they are full of toxic alkaloids, and what's more, can be absorbed through the skin! 

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.