Broken equipment at nine acres playground

Peter Kenrick
👍 5

Sat 30 Oct 2021, 14:51

In answer to Jackie re: the Wilkins Court development, the town council at the time (2016) repeatedly raised the issue of a children's play area and called for provision to be included within the development but regrettably this did not form part of the approved application and no related conditions nor developer obligations were included as part of the approval in 2017.

Of course, at that time, neither the current West Oxon Local Plan nor the Charlbury Neighbourhood Plan were in force but if they had been, I don't believe the application as approved would have been compliant with neighbourhood plan policy ECT6 or local plan policy EH5 with regard to the provision of children's play areas.

Jody O'Reilly
👍

Sat 30 Oct 2021, 11:29

Happy to give my views Nick and not ashamed to admit that I was one of the ‘heavy’ users when it broke. Holding my young nephew’s hand to help him across and enjoying his giggles as we wobbled! The link that went had worn down to a millimetre or two - was only a matter of time.  

The chain tight rope is part of the older outer loop of obstacles which have slowly been failing, more rapidly over the past five years. The sturdy nature of the nine acres course that allows grown ups to use and play alongside their kids is one of the positives of the playground - along with its wooden natural materials which would be nice to keep. 

stephen cavell
👍

Sat 30 Oct 2021, 11:26

I would certainly contribute.

Phil Morgan
👍 1

Sat 30 Oct 2021, 11:23

William, I think your idea of public donation/subscription towards the capital cost of renewal of the play area is an excellent one.

This is how Margorie Lesley funded the Hard Surface (Tennis Courts) many years ago.     I would be happy to collaborate with others about how this could be set up. Nine Acres is a registered charity. Does anyone have any experience/expertise in the area of setting up such a thing as a public trust fund?

William Robinson
👍

Sat 30 Oct 2021, 07:27

Our grandchildren were down from London for half-term. They always insist on going to Nine Acres playground as soon as they arrive. They love it.

The equipment gets a lot of heavy use. I was there when the chain tight rope was broken.

Are you looking for donations towards the costs of repairs and replacement?

Jackie Hague
👍 2

Fri 29 Oct 2021, 22:43

Amanda, I'm aware that the play equipment was removed after being vandalised. After the removal, the children at least had the grassed area to play on. Now they have no play area whatsoever in this part of Charlbury. 

Amanda Epps
👍 2

Fri 29 Oct 2021, 22:10

Jackie, the reason the Sturt Road play area was closed was the continual vandalism of the equipment.  The Town Council at time made efforts to include the view of the local children in adding to facilities but in vain.  The Council could not justify the frequent repair expenditure caused by the vandalism and responsibility was passed back to WODC/ Cotsway.

Phil Morgan
👍 1

Fri 29 Oct 2021, 16:14

I agree with Andrew and Nick that the children's play equipment on Nine Acres is looking very 'tired' and is not comparable with our neighbouring communities.

The Nine Acres Management Committee meets early next month and this will be on the agenda.

I think I need to point out that the play area is a community asset in the ownership of the Town Council. Any capital costs cannot be met by NAMC which has minimal income from football and tennis to cover maintenance.

A major renewal of the play equipment will fall to the Town Council and will form part of the precept which the Council sets for the Council Tax payers in the community.

Jackie Hague
👍 4

Fri 29 Oct 2021, 13:14

It's good news that money has been allocated for this.  Sadly, the children that live around Sturt Close and Hughes Close lost their play area when the Wilkins Court development was built.  Apart from playing on the bicycle parking racks opposite Londis, which otherwise are unused, the children living here have nowhere to play unless they walk along Sturt Road and The Slade to reach Ticknell Piece playground, or cross The Slade and walk down to Nine Acres.  

When the development at Wilkins Court was approved, I seem to recall that the town council said there would be some space for the children to play, or am I mistaken? 

Nick Johnson
👍 3

Fri 29 Oct 2021, 09:31

I agree Andrew, and NineAcres has allocated money for this. What Nineacres would like would be advice from one or two parents of  regular users. Would you and Jody be prepared to help?

Send me an email through the system on this if you are.

Andrew Mitchell
👍 7

Fri 29 Oct 2021, 08:21

Thanks Phil... the playground is looking very tatty and worn, a shadow of its  former self. It’s so poor compared to playgrounds in Milton, and Shipton ... time for an upgrade!

Phil Morgan
👍 2

Thu 28 Oct 2021, 11:00

I am Secretary to the Nine Acres Management Committee. I shall contact the contractor who maintains the play equipment. I have recently ordered a full upgrade and safety check from him.

Jody O'Reilly
👍

Wed 27 Oct 2021, 17:10

Thank you Claire. 

Claire Wilding
👍

Wed 27 Oct 2021, 17:07

Thanks Jody, the Nine Acres Management Committee run the park on behalf of the Town Council, so I'll pass this on. 

Jody O'Reilly
👍

Wed 27 Oct 2021, 16:48

Have had a bit of a search through the Community page of this website but can’t find any contact for Nine acres playground, is that Thomas Gifford Trust? Anyway, one of the pieces of playground equipment is broken, the chain tight rope. Needs to be disconnected really though I don’t think it’s imminently dangerous. 

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.