Strange noise...

glena chadwick
👍

Sat 30 Oct 2021, 10:26

Christine's account of the circus animals at Heythrop brought back memories. My father was one of the Valuation Officers for Oxford and area in the 50s and used to bring back some strange stories. His area was round here, stretching to Fyfield and Ibury. One day he had to 'value' Blenheim (they couldn't tell him how many rooms there were) and another day he went to Heythrop and saw the animals. I think it was the winter quarters for Chipperfields but I might be wrong.

Valerie Stewart
👍

Sat 30 Oct 2021, 09:59

This week's Springwatch on BBC2 had several spots about deer rutting, including marvellous noises.  And brilliant to watch in any case.  

Sandy Fairhurst
👍

Sat 30 Oct 2021, 09:55

Think you will find it is indeed deer. 
I’ve noticed the sound over the past 10 days or so, and it’s been coming from the old Quarry site. Dog walking along there most days, I’ve listened to it and noticed the sound moving as I assume the bucks strut around entrancing prospective partners with these sounds, establishing their territory and showing off to their opponents. 
The sound travels quite a way, I’ve hear it from a surprising distance. Not muntjacs though since they don’t have a defined breeding season.

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Wed 27 Oct 2021, 16:43 (last edited on Wed 27 Oct 2021, 17:08)

There are, in fact, lions, plus tigers, hippos, wolves, sloths, monkeys, zebra, camels, penguins, bears, panthers and much else at Heythrop which is only about 6 miles away. Details here: https://www.heythropzoologicalgardens.org/ More animals here: https://www.amazinganimals.co.uk/

The private zoo (controversially) includes over 250 animals, including five rare Bengal tigers. The animals are hired out by the owner -- a former circus performer, Jim Clubb -- to films, TV shows and adverts. I suppose you might be hearing the sounds in the air, depending on the direction of the wind. 

No public circuses now have lions or similar animals -- not like when I first moved to Charlbury & circuses set up with animals on 9 Acres Field. 

But the deer are not only in Cornbury Park. Ditchley Park also has its share & some are also on our roads, so don't rule out deer just because of the direction of the roar.

By the way, I think this would have been better on the main board. Really of interest to all -- and it's only the circus aspect that makes it controversial.

Ed Woodall
👍 1

Wed 27 Oct 2021, 12:37

Naomi, it came from the other side of the town than Cornbury. 

Christine, thanks for the links. It is deffo not that. It was like a croak/growl...Very loud! Given it was so far away. 

And I am not used to the forum ( old or new) and looked at the instructions and did not feel this was for the main board for some reason and so I popped it on here! 

Naomi Berger
👍 2

Wed 27 Oct 2021, 10:29

Could it be the deer rutting in cornbury park? Used to hear this when dog walking in the evening. It's an eerie noise.

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Wed 27 Oct 2021, 09:36 (last edited on Wed 27 Oct 2021, 09:39)

Are you sure it wasn't a muntjac? They make a loud and strange noise, but not really croak-like, more like a bark. A video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWLYfasFEOc

Muntjac and other possibilities here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/5MjB6tT1NNZGmfFDwvF75XJ/what-are-the-spine-tingling-sounds-we-hear-in-the-forest-at-night

Not sure why this is in the debate section, by the way.

Ed Woodall
👍

Wed 27 Oct 2021, 08:55

On walking my dog for the last two days, up in the fields beyond Woody Lane, I have heard a very strange noise from across the valley. 

It is somewhere before a croak, a low roar, or lowing. Honestly it sounded like a massive toad! It felt like it was coming from about a mile away. 

Are there circus animals in the area??

Can anyone let me know? 

Just curious...

My instinct said it was the sound of lions! But I thought, "Lions in Charlbury!? Surely not." I am relatively new to the area and wonder if anyone could enlighten me. 

Thank you. 

Ed 

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.