Damaged Wall

Damian Gannon
👍 4

Fri 22 Oct 2021, 09:27

£1 per car? That would easily cover the cost of the wall. I could retire to the Bahama’s shortly thereafter.

Alice Brander
👍 9

Thu 21 Oct 2021, 08:45

So sorry Damian.  Opening up the Toll Cottage and charging £1 a vehicle would solve quite a few Charlbury problems and threads on the Forum.

Amanda Epps
👍 1

Wed 20 Oct 2021, 22:27

Damian, when I first came to Charlbury over 50 years ago, I looked at Tollgate Cottage.  At the time there was a plan to build a slip road between Enstone Road and the Slade which meant that vehicles would have avoided the tight turn around the cottage.  This is the reason that some of the houses on The Green face the wrong way as their access on foot would have been from the new road.   
For some reason the plan was abandoned, the land sold and filled with houses.  I am so sorry for the disruption you are experiencing as a result, like others who have lived there.

Damian Gannon
👍 1

Wed 20 Oct 2021, 21:46

Thank you for the post and update Gareth.

The wall is the least of  our concerns on the crossroad corner. It can be repaired over and over again without insult or injury. I am sure everyone who uses the road there,is aware of the potential danger it inherently presents to all traffic? Hopefully it can be made better soon?

Gareth Epps
👍 3

Wed 20 Oct 2021, 21:25

Sorry to hear that the wall has been knocked into yet again Damian.  The vehicle responsible has committed a criminal offence by driving away and should be reported to the police.  (There may be clues as to who it might have been…)

The Town Council asked OCC, some months ago, to provide quotes for a buildout on the approach to the crossroads, as we all know that only physical obstacles will stop those who ignore the speed limit there.  We are still waiting.

The County Council has, however, agreed to widen the pavement around the cottage - which should both reduce the instances of idiots driving into walls like this and help the many of us who have to do the dangerous crossing on foot or on a bike.  We understand that the work will take place in early 2022.

Damian Gannon
👍

Wed 20 Oct 2021, 19:04

The pavement had been mounted, driven on and struck several times over the past few days. This afternoon was the coup de grace. Some cones, tape and lights should be up shortly. Thankfully nobody has been harmed. Should be fixed soon.

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Wed 20 Oct 2021, 18:55

Some time before 8.30 Tuesday morning I think, because we saw it damaged again driving up the Enstone rd towards it

Christine Battersby
👍

Wed 20 Oct 2021, 18:51

I noticed this yesterday afternoon (19 October), so Tuesday not Wednesday. I didn't see it when I walked past at around 3.30 p.m. (but might just have missed it), but did notice when I walked home around 4.45 p.m.

I wonder if anyone has any dashcam footage? 

Leah Fowler
👍 3

Wed 20 Oct 2021, 16:32

Again !! 

Damian Gannon
👍

Wed 20 Oct 2021, 13:26

The low dry stone wall at Tollgate Cottage was badly damaged this afternoon by a vehicle driving on the pavement whilst taking the left turn. The vehicle may have sustained significant damage but did not stop. The wall will be made safe then repaired as soon as possible.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.