Stolen car number plates

Philip Ambrose
👍 1

Sat 13 Nov 2021, 18:59 (last edited on Sat 13 Nov 2021, 19:02)

The problem of number plate theft is only going to get worse as cities introduce / expand congestion charging and low emission zones. One solution is glue AND screw (using anti-theft screws). Also, if you buy an uncommon car in an uncommon colour your plates are less likely to be stolen. e.g VW Polo Harlequin!

Hannen Beith
👍

Sat 13 Nov 2021, 17:18

Lawless Charlbury.

The loss of two pairs of number plates and two pairs of wing mirrors has cost me over £1000 over the last few years.

Rascals!

Jackie Hague
👍

Sat 13 Nov 2021, 10:31

That's awful. 

Charlbury Garage fitted anti-theft screws to secure the number plates on my car after seeing the rear plate had had one screw removed; whoever tried to take the plate must have been disturbed whilst trying to remove it. 

Simon Walker
👍

Sat 13 Nov 2021, 10:19

The car that had its plates stolen at the Fiveways end of Hixet Wood last month seems to have lost another set overnight.

Pauline Eagling
👍 2

Fri 15 Oct 2021, 21:55

My neighbours reported it to the police and received a crime incident report.  They now have new numbers plates on their car which I think was done by Charlbury garage.  I will mention the special screws to them as they seem like a good idea, many thanks.

Christine Battersby
👍 3

Fri 15 Oct 2021, 20:42

Thames Valley Police also sent me the special screws for number plates after I reported the theft of my number plates from Ditchley Rd (now some years ago). But really the screws came only after several weeks, by which time my number plates (and screws) had been replaced.

It's illegal to drive a car without number plates (even to go and pick up new plates), so the service provided by the (excellent) Charlbury garage was particularly welcome. 

Fortunately, nobody tried to use the plates for anything sinister (at least as far as I know). But I still keep the crime reference number -- just in case. 

Steve Jones
👍 1

Fri 15 Oct 2021, 19:07

This company supplies "theft proof" number plates that cannot be transferred to another vehicle. I have no personal experience of them, and they aren't cheap.

https://staymarkautoplates.co.uk/

Graham Wisker
👍 1

Fri 15 Oct 2021, 18:19

Would highly recommend that you report this incident to the police as you could end with speeding fines etc.  This did happen to me some years ago.

Hans Eriksson
👍 2

Fri 15 Oct 2021, 18:16

I believe these are the screws mentioned by Hannen 

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-security/richbrook-anti-theft-number-plate-bolts-794669.html

Hannen Beith
👍 2

Fri 15 Oct 2021, 17:09

We've had two pairs of number plates stolen.  (Hixet Wood).

What we did was to report it to the Police and so avoid what Steve says.

Then fork out for new ones from Charlbury Garage, who are very good.

Does get expensive though - not worth claiming on the insurance.  Excess.

The last time it happened the nice people at TVP (Witney) sent us special screws which one can't unscrew (if you get my drift).  I think you can buy them in Halfords.  Possibly Charlbury Garage as well.  

Add to that wing mirrors knocked/ripped off, and one begins to see the merits of having a drive/garage.

Steve Jones
👍 1

Fri 15 Oct 2021, 14:50

Unfortunately I suspect your neighbours are shortly going to start getting speeding, parking and other fines coming through the post or the police following up driving off without paying events at fuel stations.

There used to be a company that sold number plates that would shatter if removed, and that always struck me as a great idea. I don't know if they are still available.

Pauline Eagling
👍 1

Fri 15 Oct 2021, 14:13

Please be aware, my neighbours had their car number plates stolen (front and back) sometime during the evening/night from the bottom of Sandford Rise.  Apparently this is not the first case as car number plates were also stolen in Finstock.  

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.