advice on IT consumer problem

Robin Taylor
👍 1

Thu 14 Oct 2021, 19:42

This happened recently with an App called Carbs and Cals, which is used by a lot of people with Diabetes to work out their insulin doses. People were offered a years' free trial of the subscription App, and then told they’d have to pay monthly. After a lot of complaints, supported by the Diabetes U.K. charity, the owners decided to make a 'legacy'' version available to people who had bought the App. So yes, adverse publicity may bring about results.

Christine Battersby
👍 2

Thu 14 Oct 2021, 17:43

If you bought this for an android phone via the official site (Play Store), you can leave a review and also contact the company via Play Store. Companies are very sensitive to negative reviews, and often correct things quickly when complaints are received.

I rarely buy apps without looking at the Play Store reviews, and companies know this very well. That's why they respond to negative reviews! 

You could also contact the company and ask for a refund. I've done this in the past. Google also sometimes gives refunds in response to complaints -- they usually have records of whatever has been bought on Play Store. 

However, sometimes the company in charge of the app has been sold to a different entity (too often google itself!). I've had problems with this in the past. But again they are likely to be responsive to negative reviews.

Presumably apple has a similar system; but I don't use apple so can't advise about this.

Hannen Beith
👍

Thu 14 Oct 2021, 16:43 (last edited on Thu 14 Oct 2021, 16:45)

Nick,

It might be worth contacting Trading Standards - who are free to contact.

Start here:

www.gov.uk/find-local-trading-standards-office

Hannen.

Nick Johnson
👍

Thu 14 Oct 2021, 15:27

I wonder if any techie reader can make any suggestion to help with an annoying little problem I have? About three years ago I bought an app for my phone which I use every day. It cost about £20. I like it. I woke up this morning to find the app symbol has gone to be replaced by another one : *****GOLD. Instead of my much loved old app, I am being invited to pay a monthly fee for the service I bought outright 3 years ago. But don't worry, the first month is free.

To me this isn't a tawdry and underhand business practice, it's theft. Imagine it's your car that you have brought outright which disappears from your drive and is replaced by a shiny new one and a sleek salesman telling you don't worry , the first month is free. No doubt, on p.346 of the terms and conditions I had to click on before being allowed to purchase my app, it purports to allow them to do this (and probably take my house as well).  

I don't know how to trace the company who is doing this, how to publicise this in the most embarrassing way for them, take action under consumer protection legislation etc. The etcetera includes doing a whole range of things to them which are way outside the rules of the forum. Help!

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.