Public Transport

Julia Webb
👍 1

Thu 7 Oct 2021, 13:43

Christine - I use the 7 in the morning - I forget about the evening service. I have looked on the S3 bus timetable and the No.7 is now listed. I do agree the timetable is not easy reading.

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Thu 7 Oct 2021, 13:31 (last edited on Thu 7 Oct 2021, 13:35)

Julia -- that's what I also suggested, except at the times when the no 7 bus runs (or if the person did not feel like making that short walk)! 

Sorry to keeping banging on about the fact the 7 bus exists, but as it is not shown on the S3 bus timetable (and does not run down to The Bell on its late afternoon/early afternoon timetabled trip), many people do not know that it runs.

It leaves Oxford Magdalene St at 17.35, 18.35 and 00.20 (Summertown Shops at 17.44, 18.41 and 00.26). Also Oxford Station from 00.10.

On the way into Oxford, the only time is 06.15 from The Bell.

Julia Webb
👍 1

Thu 7 Oct 2021, 12:40

I would suggest catching the S3 into Oxford and get off at South Parade. It is a 5 minute walk to the bus stop in Summertown where you can catch the 700 bus that would take you to the CH via the JR. The 700 is every 30 mins so you would not have too long to wait. Returning could be slightly longer depending on what time your appointment is but the bus stop on Woodstock Road is roomy with seating. As a 12 year veteran of there journeys I am a bit of an anorak :-)

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Thu 7 Oct 2021, 12:32

If coming back on the direct 700/ no 7 route, Hannen, I recommend changing at Summertown (Summertown Shops stop) as there is a decent bus shelter there. 

Also, the no 7 bus does not go right into Water Eaton/Oxford Parkway, and the bus stop on the Oxford Rd near Oxford Parkway is a fairly grim place to wait to pick up the return bus -- not made any more pleasant by the speeding bicycles and now also the e-scooters that zoom along the pavement/cycle path.

Hannen Beith
👍

Thu 7 Oct 2021, 12:15

Many thanks all.  Really helpful.

Julia, I am a "wrinkly" so have a bus pass, but thanks for the advice. 

Christine Battersby
👍 2

Thu 7 Oct 2021, 12:11 (last edited on Thu 7 Oct 2021, 12:13)

Unless you are travelling really early in the morning, Hannen, when the no 7 bus travels through Charlbury and takes you direct to Summertown where you can pick up the no 700 bus to the hospitals, I recommend the S3 to Woodstock Rd (South Parade stop).

Then a short flat walk along South Parade (5 - 7 mins at most) and pick up the 700 bus, as recommended by Julia and Brian, on the opposite side of the Banbury Road in Summertown.

An alternative is to change from the S3 at Woodstock (Marlborough Arms) to the 500 bus. That takes you into Water Eaton where one can wait in the dry (and with loos) for the 700 bus. 

Coming back is much the same, but it's always worth checking the no 7 bus timetable, since that is often more useful if it it is late afternoon/early evening when you are coming back.

Brian Murray
👍 1

Thu 7 Oct 2021, 11:33

Recent roadworks on Botley Road have made the area around the station and Frideswide Sq a nightmare. Even with two changes of bus the best option is probably via Summertown and the 700 as Julia suggests.

Matt Bullock
👍

Thu 7 Oct 2021, 09:26

Or S3 to Oxford station and 15 from Frideswide Square to Roosevelt Drive

Julia Webb
👍 1

Thu 7 Oct 2021, 09:08 (last edited on Thu 7 Oct 2021, 09:33)

Morning Hannen

The 700 takes you onto the CH site. You can catch this in Summertown at the same stop you depart the number 7.

If you need to pay for the bus you can purchase a day rider that can be used on all Stagecoach buses.

Hannen Beith
👍

Thu 7 Oct 2021, 08:49

I have to get to the Churchill Hospital soon.

I should like to go by bus.

S3 to Woodstock, then 7 to Summertown, then what?  Thank you.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.