Buses to Witney and Chippy

Christine Battersby
👍

Tue 28 Sep 2021, 22:35

Thank you, Amanda! 

Amanda Epps
👍

Tue 28 Sep 2021, 22:31

As I understand it Christine, the top part of the High Street is open for buses, taxis and disabled drivers.

Christine Battersby
👍

Tue 28 Sep 2021, 22:24

It was the closure of the top of Market Square in Witney that I was asking about.

I never stay on the X9 bus that long, and am not sure how buses travel between Sainsbury's and Market Square now that planters are placed across the entrance to the square. 

Bob Douglas
👍 1

Tue 28 Sep 2021, 13:19

X9 buses from Witney to Chipping Norton go along Sturt Road, The Slade, down Enstone Road into Church Street. From Church Street they go down Park Street and back to Five Ways, then along Sturt Road and The Slade (again) , finally Nine Acres Lane and so on to C/N.

From C/N to Witney they come up NineAcres Lane, down Enstone Road and into Church Street. Then Park Street, Five Ways and turn right to Witney.

All this to avoid Market Street which buses (S3 as well as X9) have not used for some years.

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Tue 28 Sep 2021, 00:43

Glad it was useful, Veronica. I had also been struggling to work out the times and still don't really understand the arrangements in Witney now that the top of Market Square is blocked off. Perhaps somebody who uses the X9 bus to Witney regularly could explain. 

Church Street appears twice on the timetable. You need to scroll down. It is different at different times, but there is a route through to Chippy. 

Veronica Stallwood
👍

Mon 27 Sep 2021, 23:48

Thank you so much, Christine. I've been battling with the Pulhams' timetables this week and this is very helpful. Incidentally, they say that the Chipping Norton buses don't leave from Church Street, only from The Slade. Surely this can't be right?

Christine Battersby
👍 4

Mon 27 Sep 2021, 11:31 (last edited on Mon 27 Sep 2021, 11:32)

With the current problems with petrol and diesel, no doubt quite a few people will need to be travelling to Witney and Chippy using the X9 bus.

Pulham's introduced a new timetable on September 1st 2021, and the link to it is extremely hard to find. But here it is: https://www.pulhamscoaches.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/Pulhams-X9-Timetable-September-2021-WEB.pdf

It's also worth noting that there is a later bus back from Chippy to Charlbury via Stagecoach, and the S3 bus. A new timetable started on 29 August. The link for that is here: https://tis-kml-stagecoach.s3.amazonaws.com/PdfTimetables/XOAS003.pdf

Confusingly, the S3 timetable does not include the timetable for the no 7 bus which links Charlbury to Spelsbury, Chadlington and Chippy and also runs past Oxford Parkway. Here is the timetable for the no 7:  https://tiscon-maps-stagecoachbus.s3.amazonaws.com/Timetables/Oxford_Timetables/7_current.pdf

And watch out, because the bus stops in Oxford (including those in Magdalen St) are also different. What's more the no 7 bus to Charlbury does not, in my experience, show up on the electronic departure boards in Magdalen Street.

Perhaps our Town Councillors could ask that the no 7 bus times could be better incorporated into the S3 timetable. Really, one needs to be a detective to discover that the no 7 bus runs through Charlbury very early in the morning and also late at night.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.