Loan of car battery charger please

Steve Jones
👍 1

Thu 23 Sep 2021, 16:01

Presumably a bridge already crossed if the battery is running flat overnight. It's one good reason for never enabling the PIN on a car radio, and who one earth still steals those as they tend to be specific to each car model?

john h
👍

Thu 23 Sep 2021, 15:25

And the next day trying to reset the radio etc!!!. John H

Steve Jones
👍

Thu 23 Sep 2021, 13:40 (last edited on Thu 23 Sep 2021, 13:41)

Actually, I did think of the disconnecting the battery idea afterwards, but too late. It's actually bad for car batteries for them to have a "deep discharge" as they aren't designed for that sort of duty cycle. It's easy enough for anybody to do (although always disconnect the negative terminal as there's no danger of an accidental short with the spanner).

Christine Battersby
👍 2

Wed 22 Sep 2021, 19:45

The AA also told me that I had a car battery drain, but when I got the car to the garage they found no evidence that this was the case.

Unfortunately the AA seems to have a new policy -- that they won't come out more than once for the same fault. Very annoying when the problem is a dead battery, and you don't want to take the car in immediately. I found a friend to give me a jump start. That is all that is usually needed to get the car going again for a short trip. 

Heather Williams
👍

Wed 22 Sep 2021, 18:08

If it's a new battery they come with a years guarantee so someone, where you got it from and have the receipt of payment details, should be able to replace FOC.

Hans Eriksson
👍

Wed 22 Sep 2021, 17:07

A handy chap could disconnect the battery for the lady. And then connect it for her when she needs to go for the service. 

Steve Jones
👍

Wed 22 Sep 2021, 14:42

Elaine's car was looked at by the AA and it's suffering from an approximately 1 amp battery drain, even when ignition is turned off. That will drain the battery in a day or so.

Jean Adams
👍

Wed 22 Sep 2021, 13:52 (last edited on Wed 22 Sep 2021, 18:59)

Not necessarily . Better to go to aGarage for them to sort the problem.

Elaine Kazimierczuk
👍

Wed 22 Sep 2021, 08:50

My car battery is losing charge due to a fault with the car's electronics. I need to get it over to the KIA dealership - it's booked in on 30 September, but I also need to make a trip to Witney in the meantime. It should be possible to charge it overnight - it's a new battery.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.