The smoke from the fire

Hannen Beith
👍 1

Sat 11 Sep 2021, 12:25

Good point Liz but the Government ban introduced in May 2021 should help.

https://rangemoors.co.uk/2021/03/08/what-clean-fuels-woodburner-2021/

Liz Puttick
👍 3

Sat 11 Sep 2021, 11:36

I hope the people complaining about bonfires are not contributing to the environmental impact of wood burning stoves, which pollute the air of central Charlbury on a cold winter night - causing much coughing and spluttering even among us non-asthmatics!

Hannen Beith
👍 2

Sat 11 Sep 2021, 09:17

It's ironic that the Town Council has declared a climate and environmental emergency.  This was not a garden bonfire.  Fire pollutes the air with emissions harmful to human health especially those with asthma and COPD.  Fire also releases carbon dioxide—a key greenhouse gas—into the atmosphere.  

I appreciate that this conflagration was on private land and beyond the remit of the Town Councillors, but what does it say about our neighbour?

Miles Walkden
👍 6

Fri 10 Sep 2021, 21:21

Won’t somebody think of the children!

Janet Burroughs
👍 3

Fri 10 Sep 2021, 19:42

I have to say that although, having grown up with them, I like bonfires, I have a lot of sympathy with Jean today. As I was driving home along Sturt Road at around 5.30 the white smoke was billowing everywhere and reaching the top of Woodstock Road. This was partly due to the weather in the last 24 hours, rain, which makes bonfire damp and leads to an increase in smoke, and also to the wind levels and direction. 

Yes, bonfires are used to dispose of waste in rural areas. However, there should be some consideration given to the wind direction and strength and how this will affect the bonfires effect on nearby dwellings. And if the impact is likely to be bad, as today, then wait a day or two. 

Jean Adams
👍 3

Fri 10 Sep 2021, 19:25

Consider the environmental impact. I had to leave all my doors and windows closed.

Angus B
👍 8

Thu 9 Sep 2021, 23:07

Lovely fragrant scent of bonfire as I walked down and up the   Cornbury drive this evening!

Simon Bridgman
👍 4

Thu 9 Sep 2021, 18:16

It was like that for about 5 minutes and after seeing it go like that I stopped and let it calm down 

Phil Morgan
👍 4

Thu 9 Sep 2021, 17:42

Has anyone asked the horses?

Hannen Beith
👍

Thu 9 Sep 2021, 12:58

It seems not.

Jean Adams
👍 3

Thu 9 Sep 2021, 12:52

Completely covering the field where horses are grazing. Does anyone care?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.