HGV's

Rosemary Bennett
👍 6

Fri 20 Aug 2021, 10:19

Thanks Matt. I am getting more and more convinced that there is so much more we will all need to do, and to sacrifice, in order to get a grip on the environmental issues facing us all. Do you think so?

Matt Bullock
👍 3

Fri 20 Aug 2021, 09:13

Rosemary, I think these guys work wherever there is stuff to be transported. He may have been taking the stuff from Wilderness to somewhere else in the UK; from there his next job could have been to anywhere in Europe.

Rosemary Bennett
👍 4

Fri 20 Aug 2021, 09:12

As a matter of interest, why would a Lithuanian truck be going to Wilderness? Also, given the unimaginable amounts of mileage involved overall, and considering the environmental degradation, is it not time we had some thoughts about the carbon footprint involved in setting up a festival such as Wilderness? How could this be assessed? This is not a whinge about the festival, by the way.

Matt Bullock
👍 3

Fri 20 Aug 2021, 08:44

Some of the trucks fetching stuff from Wilderness were Lithuanian registered. The ones I saw were taking the correct route, but you can't blame them for following sat-navs just as I would were I driving to Panevėžys, (where one of the trucks was from). 

stephen cavell
👍 3

Fri 20 Aug 2021, 07:17

Graham - that is really informative. A real insight into the life of a truck driver. They have my sympathy. Should we be looking more closely at the responsibilities of the employer?

Sam Small
👍 1

Thu 19 Aug 2021, 22:41

Hannen, this would have no impact on deliveries to/from the Wilderness as access to property & land within the restricted area is permitted. 

Graham Wisker
👍 3

Thu 19 Aug 2021, 21:45 (last edited on Thu 19 Aug 2021, 21:47)

Like I have said before,  many companies rely on agency drivers (Many of which come across from the old Eastern Bloc), these drivers are given the absolute minimum instructions regards to destinations. Many use sat navs that are not HGV spec, ie Do not show, height, weight and width restrictions, some of these spec.ones can cost up to £400. As many distribution / transport companies will not entertain this expenditure. So you follow a simple map and pray.

Hannen Beith
👍 1

Thu 19 Aug 2021, 18:15

Well a blanket ban on HGVs would put an end to Wilderness.  No matter what your views on it.

The HGVs start trundling past us 2/3 weeks before the festival and even today there were a few coming from the Cornbury Park direction.

Perhaps they are removing portaloos, "wet waste" and scaffolding from somewhere else?!

They seem to get wider each year so to pass each other (and the S3) they occasionally have to mount the pavement and verge.  Sometimes one will just reverse to the FiveWays junction which, to my feeble mind, must endanger other road users.  Especially pedestrians and cyclists. 

Gareth Epps
👍 2

Thu 19 Aug 2021, 15:10

Satnavs cannot be relied on.  They do not indicate the existing 20mph limits in Charlbury,

When I lived in Reading I found that they failed to pick up traffic calming schemes established 20-25 years previously.  I was on the front of the local rag once with a photo I’d taken of a lorry stuck trying to get down an industrial estate; it had to reverse 1km back down a narrow terraced street with cars partked on wither side.  This was not an uncommon occurrence….

Amanda Epps
👍 2

Wed 18 Aug 2021, 23:16

Mandy, I agree with you about drivers following the satnav gospel and switching off their eyes and brain.

I had problems for years due to a faulty satnav which gave directions to my house when intending to go to the same address in Fawler.  So the drivers passed large signs saying Charlbury when the address said  Fawler.  Once, I fortunately spotted a group of workmen before they dug up my drive to repair a drain in Fawler and on another occasion a parcel was left when I was out, resulting in someone not receiving their birthday present on time.  

Sam Small
👍 4

Wed 18 Aug 2021, 23:04

We should have a 7.5 ton weight limit covering ALL of Charlbury. Local deliveries wouldn't be impacted because there's always an exemption for them, but it would keep the HGV through traffic away. I cannot see a reason not to support this initiative .

Carl A Perkins
👍 1

Wed 18 Aug 2021, 12:25 (last edited on Wed 18 Aug 2021, 12:33)

Thanks Liz, I've just reported the issue via the link provided. It's actually a very informative/ useful site, I didn't know it existed until just now.

It seems that there are planned roadworks on Thames Street at the end of September so doubt the issue will be sorted until then!

Liz Leffman
👍 1

Wed 18 Aug 2021, 09:35

Please put the details of the bollard on https://fixmystreet.oxfordshire.gov.uk/. And please report any lorries that try to access the bridge to Trading Standards - they do prosecute but can only do so if you get the registration number. 

Mandy cooper
👍 1

Wed 18 Aug 2021, 09:24

All lorry drivers now will be directed by sat nav and if they don’t know the roads or are foreign drivers they don’t read the signs just follow the sat nav. As that’s what there told to do in there test. They have the same problem when co op lorry’s go down dancers hill. 

Brian Murray
👍 1

Wed 18 Aug 2021, 09:06

Carl, if you managed to get the vehicle reg number,  and/or the name of the operating company, you should report it to O C C Trading Standards who will prosecute. The displaced bollard should be of interest to O C C Highways.

We need good unambiguous signage on Nine Acres Lane and on Spelsbury Road, making it clear that there is a 7.5 ton weight limit xxx yards ahead etc, etc. Some of the existing signs around here read '.....no access to Charlbury Station.....', which is a bit daft as the drivers are not trying to reach the station, they want to get somewhere along the Burford road.

Rachael Lunney
👍

Wed 18 Aug 2021, 09:05

The Police had to be called as Thames Street was blocked by lorrys. 

Carl A Perkins
👍

Wed 18 Aug 2021, 08:54

I write as yet another large HGV attempts to get round the Dyers Hill/ Thames Street corner... why are so many HGV's coming along an unpermitted route? The bridge must be taking a battering! One of the street bollards on Thames Street has been hit and is looking quite precarious in its current state... who do I report this to?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.