Experiences with new hospital parking?

K Harper
👍 1

Tue 10 Aug 2021, 13:16

We also had an appointment at JRH on Mon 2nd Aug 21 at 4pm.

As my passenger has serious mobility problems I dropped him at the front entrance of West Wing just after 3.30pm. Whilst doing this I noticed that the entrance to the underground car park to the right, which we usually try and use, was blocked off. I exited and went round the roundabout and up the road to the left of WW entrance; almost immediately I noticed a car park on the right which I entered; there was a space right in front of me into which I parked. I walked into the reception area a matter of minutes after I had dropped him to be met with sheer incredulity that I had parked and entered so quickly! We attended his appointment then left West Wing. As the car was so close he was able to walk to it whilst I located the pay machine, entered my vehicle registration number, selected payment method, paid and left; my exit time was 16:48 and the charge was £2.80. The whole process could not have been easier or more simple. I recognise that this may have been very good luck but we were both delighted! Previous systems of pay and display mean you have to try and work out how long you are going to there for and often mean you vastly overpay! Guess they didn’t complain about that though!

It also looked as though this may be the new way in to the underground car park.

Mark Sulik
👍

Fri 6 Aug 2021, 19:32

When will the charges increase ?

When will they increase capacity? 

Leah Fowler
👍 2

Fri 6 Aug 2021, 19:05

Or the Park and Ride from Wood Eaton is great 

Grace Cahill
👍 3

Fri 6 Aug 2021, 17:47

If you can, I would strongly consider taking public transport. 20 min train from Charlbury, jump on any one of the regular buses to the JR from the station doorstep, and you’re at the hospital in less than an hour! You’ll save plenty of time trying to park, and it’s better for the environment too. 

Heather Donegan
👍 2

Fri 6 Aug 2021, 14:20 (last edited on Fri 6 Aug 2021, 14:22)

We visited Monday 2.8.21 mid morning at 10.00am. There were no hold ups or queues at the entance/exit to the car parks, (the old barriers). Once in the car parks (we tried two), there was light gridlock in places, particularly where the roadways led into dead ends and the turn around was tight. There were two operatives helping at the new machines but no masks or social distancing being observed by them. The JR is short of a whole car park at the moment so I'd advise that if you are travelling by car that you either leave plenty of time or get someone to drop you off while they search for a place. The overall experience was pretty much the same as usual.

Richard Broughton
(site admin)
👍

Fri 6 Aug 2021, 12:36

The ATIC team has kindly alerted us to the new parking payment arrangements at the JR and Churchill and I thought it would be useful to collect initial experiences with the system here from anyone wishing to share. It would be helpful for those planning visits in the near future.

For me, how one pays was the least of the problems with the hospital parking. If they have removed both entering and exiting gates, I am wondering how they will avoid gridlock with cars that are looking for slots blocking exiting cars (as often happened in the West Wing carpark even with the entry gate). So, early adopters, please let us know how you get on.  Thanks.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.