Anyone practical experience of handwriting on touch screens?

Christine Battersby
👍

Fri 16 Jul 2021, 16:02

Many students use Microsoft Surface Go Computers for note-taking in lectures, converting their handwriting later into text. I am contemplating getting a Go 2 to supplement my Microsoft Surface Laptop, as the reviews online are very good for note-taking (though less good for art). Handwriting recognition is built into Microsoft Word, but I think one need to use the Edge browser (which I usually disable a.s.a.p.). 

I don't think it very useful to compare what delivery drivers offer for signature (useless!) with the type of high-level touch screens and e-pens that can be bought.

I have tried an e-pen, but without much success -- although, to be fair, my rotten handwriting did convert easily into text. But that is because I have the wrong kind of Microsoft Surface computer (a Microsoft Surface Laptop). What is needed is a Surface Go or other more upmarket Surface computers that have detachable screens. 

If buying an e-pen, be sure to get one that is rechargeable. My earlier e-pen was not, and the batteries were very fiddly and also very expensive to replace.

Charlie M
👍

Fri 16 Jul 2021, 15:28

Malcolm, I find those handwriting things absolutely hopeless. The things that delivery people ask you to "sign" on when you receive a parcel, yes?
I know you say you hate dictation, but I must say that I have found https://otter.ai/ very effective. As a test, try going to that site and set it going with the radio or TV on. I am using it to transcribe some recordings that my mother made about her life, and it really seems to work very well.
Hope this helps.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Fri 16 Jul 2021, 13:13

I've decided this should be a separate topc to pick pre-purchase peoples' minds!

Anyone using or have used Cursive hand writing recognition on tablets/touchscreens? Anyone use, or have tried, handwriting to ascii text recognition from hand writing with a touch-screen Tablet or a 3-in-1 foldover Laptop? Does it work functionally well enough to be worth using?

I've been reduced to single hand finger-picking or right fingers plus 1 left hand finger at keyboards because my left hand nerves are interrupted by some serious spinal injuries. Alas. Anyone any useful observations.

I *hates* dictation...

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.