Cyclists through Charlbury tomorrow

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Sun 11 Jul 2021, 11:24

There's several different rides going on - it's Ride Oxford as well and they have a handful of routes radiating from both Oxford and Chippy. 

Jean Adams
👍

Sun 11 Jul 2021, 09:56

What time can I expect them down Fawler/Witney Road ?

Brian Murray
👍

Sun 11 Jul 2021, 08:57

Lots of rather confusing signs around suggesting that the route(s) will entail cyclist travelling in both directions on the stretch of road between Charlbury and Leafield. 

Steve Jones
👍

Sat 10 Jul 2021, 10:53 (last edited on Sat 10 Jul 2021, 11:02)

A sportive isn't a race. Whilst individual cyclists will no doubt have targets, they are mass-participation endurance events and should not feature cyclists racing each other to finish first. I've done a few of these in the past when I was a little fitter. The main problem will be when driving and encountering groups of cyclist and passing safely.

I would also venture that cyclists going up Dyer's hill aren't going to be anything of a risk; I'd be much more concerned if they were travelling down as speeds could get very high.

Brian Murray
👍

Sat 10 Jul 2021, 09:09

According to the organiser's website - broughtoncastlesportive.co.uk - the race is on Sunday 11th but I have been unable to find details of route or timings.

Tony Graeme
👍

Sat 10 Jul 2021, 08:12 (last edited on Sat 10 Jul 2021, 10:06)

1. I think not, Gareth: the signs continue along Thames St not down Dyers Hill.. . .
  2. and there is more: I notice this morning that there is an arrow pointing up Dyers Hill. Could be nasty if riders coming up the hill meet others emerging from Market St. I think I will keep clear. . .or offer Forest Court as a site for the first aid team.
Gareth Epps
👍

Sat 10 Jul 2021, 00:29

The Broughton Castle Sportive, indeed.   Going down Dyers Hill and up Forest Road.

Jean Adams
👍

Fri 9 Jul 2021, 15:56

Signs are up and it is going to be very busy. 50 cyclists we were told.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.