Muntjac on Crawborough.

Heather Williams
👍

Mon 2 Aug 2021, 13:55

There was always one or two behind the office of the Spendlove Centre, backing on to a large overgrown garden.

Steve Jones
👍 1

Sat 31 Jul 2021, 20:19 (last edited on Sat 31 Jul 2021, 20:31)

There have apparently been no recorded examples of red deer in Oxfordshire since 2005. It would be extremely unusual to encounter one. The stags are large animals and weigh 160-240 kg and even the hinds are 120-170 kg.

https://www.oxonmammals.org/mammals-of-oxfordshire

Whilst driving I have come across roe deer (and had to slow for one on the Woodstock road two days ago) as well as fallow deer, which seem to prefer to travel in small groups. I also see a lot of muntjac, but I'm not a great fan of their looks (but they probably don't think much of me either) and I believe they are considered to be an invasive species in the UK.

Roe deer are the reddish-brown ones whilst fallow deer have lighter underbellies and those spots on the side, which is a usefully safety feature as they reflect in the headlamps as they seem inclined to run across the road at night without warning.

It seems that the sika deer, whilst rare, has had sightings around Charlbury and I suspect that is a more likely candidate than a red deer.

Pauline Eagling
👍

Sat 31 Jul 2021, 19:07

Hi, saw a Muntjac two days ago along Sandford Rise, it was alone and just mulling about, so sweet.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍 1

Tue 29 Jun 2021, 21:36

Red Deer? Surely not this far south ...? We've seen both types of "big deer" - Fallow and Roe - but can never remember which is which. Both species get very vocal males in the Quarry, we've listened to recordings of deer calls on the internet. One lovelorn Fallow buck was making a racket in the second week of December a couple of years ago! Heaven knows what he was thinking at that time of year!

Sitka deer aren't really any bigger than a Muntjac, but look like "proper" deer - antlers and all. Perspective, particularly in low-light conditions,  means you have no idea if you're looking at a big deer at some distance, or a little deer close by,

Muntjacs make a sort of coughing noise, and also sound a bit like a dog barking.

Also they aren't as benign as they look. Those little, straight, and *sharp* horns *are* dangerous. A chap was killed by one from a stabwound to the abdomen a few years back. Bled to death before aid could arrive etc. 3" is quite enough to kill from a penetration wound, and their horns are some 5-6" I'd reckon.

Unlike other deer, the native deer and the Chines Sitka, Muntjac are far bolder with regard to interacting with humans. This means that situations can and have arisen for "conflict" with us and our domestic animals. Alas.

glena chadwick
👍

Sun 27 Jun 2021, 13:23

I live 2/3rds of the way up Enstone Road and have had muntjacs in my garden for years. They usually appear about every 3 weeks or so. Sometimes in pairs but more often single; nothing seems to be destroyed by them but some of my neighbours are not so lucky. I don't encourage or discourage them.

Chloe Horner
👍

Tue 22 Jun 2021, 11:14

Thanks everyone.  I'm guessing they must have come via Wychwood House.  We certainly won't encourage them, but there are slim-pickings here currently so imagining they may not be back!

Claire Wilding
👍 1

Mon 21 Jun 2021, 22:22

I just saw a red deer in centenary wood!

Hannen Beith
👍

Mon 21 Jun 2021, 17:59

There was one wandering about on the Fawler Road yesterday - about a mile out of town.  I had to brake to avoid hitting it.  Just ambling about.

john h
👍 2

Mon 21 Jun 2021, 17:26

A firm favourite of Muntjac are rose trees/bushes, as this is a bumper year this year they may be looking for a feast, best not to encourage them! John H

stephen cavell
👍 2

Mon 21 Jun 2021, 16:13

Over the past years we have occasionally had a muntjac come thro' the wooded are of Wychwood House and up into the front garden. Over the past 2/3 weeks two muntjacs - mother and young? - have been seen grazing our front lawn either early in the morning 6am or at dusk. The other morning at 7am I was walking down from Enstone X Roads and one trotted past me along the verge and into Wychwood House entrance.

Robin Taylor
👍 1

Mon 21 Jun 2021, 14:55

We get them regularly in our garden near the top of Enstone Road, which is on the inside of the main roads, so to speak, ie, they must have crossed over The Slade and/or Enstone Road and Nine Acres Lane to get here.

Chloe Horner
👍

Mon 21 Jun 2021, 09:14

We had two Muntjac in our garden at the bottom of Crawborough yesterday (around 8pm) and are interested to find out if they visited anyone else in central Charlbury.  I know they can often end up in gardens close to fields and woodland but I'm curious as to how/why they ended up in such a built-up part of town...

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.