Address Theft/Scam

stephen cavell
👍 4

Fri 25 Jun 2021, 14:02

Up-date on the  Mis-use of  an Address is that it was  reported to Ebay who have taken the website down. The owner of the flat has reported to the police and we await results. Lesson learned on legal advice is to make sure that your household insurance carries 'identity theft'

stephen cavell
👍 5

Sun 20 Jun 2021, 12:02 (last edited on Sun 20 Jun 2021, 14:44)

This was not full identity theft (thank goodness) as per Hannen's experience of a few months ago. None-the-less annoying and could have serious consequences.  I am director of the management company that administers these 13 flats. As such I am kept aware of the comings and goings of the residents of the flats. Due to COVID restrictions on travel some owners have not been able to return from overseas. Last week one such flat began receiving return ebay parcels under a strange name through Royal Mail - you may have seen my posting last week asking for that person to come forward. One regular forum contributor did some on line detective work and found that a person was using the address of one of the flats as the address of his/her business on ebay.  The SCAM being that cheap goods were being sold using this address so that when the goods were received and did not meet the expectations of the customer they were being returned to this unoccupied address asking for their money back - I have quite a collection of such parcels. I just hope that some dis-satisfied customers don't march on the building! The matter has been reported to ebay and is said to be "dealt with"  I understand that ebay has some kind of repayment system to deal with such situations. I am also told that one can take out insurance on Identity theft. I report this as another scam example from which to learn

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.