The "colour of windows" in Charlbury - what is it called?

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Fri 31 Oct 2008, 19:38

OK, looks like what is most recommended (reading between the lines a bit) is Burford Green. However, economically, uPVC is far and away the cheapest option for replacement sets of which we have to do some, and simply cannot afford 4x the price for wooden joinery.

I wonder if there…

Long post - click to read full text

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Fri 31 Oct 2008, 18:03

One wonders what the original tinting agent was used in historical times - must(?) or usually would have been something relatively local, usually a metal in some valent/oxidation state - but which one? If one looks at old colours in houses browns, creams, duck egg blues and greens dominate, with the occasional red (apart from iron in its different valencies I think mercury was also used for a red tint - don't sound too healthy to me for a living environment! Also arsenic but don't know what colours that produced) as was chrome which was common in Cornwall IIRC and much traded for pigmentation. What I don't know is the oil that the old paints used - probably linseed I should guess. Anyone?

Anyway, Cotswold Green or whatever, its a nicer shade than the brilliant titanium oxide whites they use nowadays with "blueing agents" to make them "whiter than white". Thanks for the pointer to the pdf file, hopefully that will elucidate!

Carolyn Connolly
👍

Fri 31 Oct 2008, 13:08

Someone told me that is called Cotswold Green but there are many variations from various companies. We have used Crown's Herb Garden but this is a shade darker.

Kate Smith
👍

Fri 31 Oct 2008, 12:34

www.westoxon.gov.uk/files/download/3499-2005.pdf

I think that link should take you to the colour bit of the WODC design guide for conservation areas - if not go to WODC, Planning, Conservation Design and Landscape, Design Guide. Hope that helps!

Derek Collett
👍

Thu 30 Oct 2008, 16:28

Pistachio?

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Thu 30 Oct 2008, 15:34

What is the name of the shade or tint of that sort of duck egg green colour a lot of windows in Charlbury are painted that goes nicely with the limestone?

We need repainting and the white woodwork is pretty boring, tho' as a 1970 house it isn't exactly period (fake concrete and powdered limestone don't fool no one no how that its Cotswold stone). A few houses up this end of town have done their woodwork in this pale green tint and despite being modern it looks nicer than white paint window frames even with the con-art fake stone.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.