Blandford Fly

Gareth Epps
👍

Sat 7 May 2022, 10:29

Yes we’ve had a nasty bite on the top of the hill.

G Clarke
👍 7

Sat 7 May 2022, 01:56

Warning: the dreaded Blandford Fly seems to be back again.

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Tue 1 Jun 2021, 10:47

Thanks for the info, everyone.

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Mon 31 May 2021, 18:41

This year, because I have had to re-line and re-fill my pond & have not been able to keep the water moving, I've used mosquito dunks against Blandford Fly.

They contain bti and target few other species of insects. 

I got the idea from looking at how Dorset County Council controls the pest on the River Stour. It's just a 2 week period that needs to be covered, when the larvae are hatching out as the females need a blood meal before they can lay their eggs.

Perhaps something for our local councils to think about. 

Have yet to decide quite how good the dunks are, however. The water is moving again, and there are plenty of flying insects round the pond. Hope it won't affect the frog population -- we caught 48 frogs when emptying the pond!

Liz Maughn
👍 1

Mon 31 May 2021, 17:39

I got bitten in my garden in Sandford Park.

Thanks for alerting us about the GP's interest Jan. Is someone doing a  piece of research?

Jan Holah
👍

Mon 31 May 2021, 16:59

I believe GPs are monitoring Blandford Fly bites,  so anyone who gets one should report it.

G Clarke
👍

Mon 31 May 2021, 16:51

I got bitten a couple of weeks ago off Market Street.

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Mon 31 May 2021, 14:19

Aargh! Whereabouts were you Liz, any clues are welcome!

Liz Maughn
👍 3

Sun 30 May 2021, 11:08

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. It's that time again. I get caught out every year!

Please beware the blandford fly is on the hunt.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.