Wed 2 Jun 2021, 13:30

Mmalcolm

Yes that is the company they are based in Bedford

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Tue 1 Jun 2021, 15:22

Hi David! Was it this company which calls itself precisely

https://www.pigeonproofingsolarpanels.co.uk

Its probably obvious that the company mentioned is them, but a search on pigeon proofing solar panels threw up 2+ pages of hits on an Ecosia search, so shudder to think how many in Google search!

Evidently pigeons have a really big "thing" about panels seeing so many people providing the service. I've seen one near miss in a bedroom upstairs. The room has big windows front and back and looks, to a bird not savvy with glass, like a nice tunnel to fly through en route to front and rear gardens. A splendid plan-form display of the full wing spread and tail fanned out to utmost width in a crash-braking effort. The pigeons aren't all white, some have a rusty coloured streak just behind the leading edge of the wings.

Will they be escapees? Are white doves a species or subspecies (White Doves in those terms) or just albino pigeons? If the latter why the group nesting or are pigeons just attracted to ... a racial group on appearances, as its the only way I can think to describe the phenomenon.

Anyone else used any other service provider they can remark on?

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Tue 1 Jun 2021, 01:43

I’d kept on seeing a dove flying past exactly at the right altitude to be right bang in the centre of an upstairs window. I hadn’t realised that “it” was the “they” that Janet had spotted already on our roof under the panels! The first I heard about it was that the puppy had got a fledgling in the back garden, alas.

It’s so crashingly obvious that birds will nest under such a nice warm sheltered spot, and also so nicely cool as the front of the panels will also radiate heat away being so black. Wonder what the transition temperature is?

I’m concerned that young and inquisitive beaks might start exploring any wires underneath. I’ve not looked under the panels to see what may protrude linking panels together etc.

Installers should be made to be duty bound to mention bird issues. Fitting bird shields would be a nice little money spinner on the side for an installation.

Roughly what was the cost? I’m assuming you’re at the usual 4kw size of array?

John Kearsey
👍

Mon 31 May 2021, 18:23

I have a similar problem - they really seem to like solar panels!

david Court
👍

Sun 30 May 2021, 19:59

We had the same problem so we used a company from Bedford called Pigeon proofing solar panels Ltd

They came and fitted a mesh all round the panels which stopped the doves nesting again, they were very efficient and professional

Janet Sly
👍

Sun 30 May 2021, 10:58

We have 5 or maybe 6 white doves on our roof and believe they may have been nesting under the solar panels or in the gutter and chicks now hatching and at least one has fallen out. Any ideas what we should do?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.