Corner House Garden refurbishment.

Hugh Belshaw
👍

Fri 4 Jun 2021, 19:50

The first Delivery of plants is scheduled for monday 7th so we will have a planting session on tuesday 8th 2 to 4pm. Volunteers to help with planting or watering welcome.

Stephen Andrews
👍 6

Tue 1 Jun 2021, 14:40

My suggestion was to make it inviting to enter the refurbished garden so it can attract people from Browns' Lane to new events that can sustain and provide income for the Corner House Charity. Outdoor seating for regular Coffee mornings could be reestablished, Cornerstone could have an outside Saturday stall with local allotment produce, there could be evening acoustic music recitals, wine tasting, linked Museum and Hall events etc. 

The height of the wall could be retained alongside the courtyard seating area, but then it could be properly stepped down revealing the impressive frontage and listed features of the original farmhouse. I do not think cutting a viewing porthole in the hedge or installing iron railings would achieve the objective to attract more users, however inviting the garden looks.

Hugh Belshaw
👍 6

Mon 31 May 2021, 10:46

Yes we thought we would start by opening a "window" in the beech hedge, next to the notice board, whrn there is something to see. Maybe later  reduce the hedge all the way along if that seems right. I like Peters idea ofa wrought iron railings eventually.

Jody O'Reilly
👍 5

Mon 31 May 2021, 08:29

Looking forward to seeing the garden progress in due course. Without making any comment whatsoever on the merits or not of the idea to reduce the wall, a quick note On the listing: the wall would be considered as listed. The legislation that covers listed buildings extends the protection to various features, sometimes whole buildings, and certainly things like garden walls where they meet a series of tests. (For anyone who would like to check...Section 1.5, Planning (listed buildings and conservation area) Act 1990). Though it is ultimately the decision of the local authorities as they decide which applications they would require, I think it is highly probable that it would be protected under the listing  and from my working knowledge of the WODC Conservation officers, reduction in height would be resisted. 

Leah Fowler
👍 5

Mon 31 May 2021, 06:48

Why not just lower the hedge? 

Peter Kenrick
👍 9

Sun 30 May 2021, 12:14

Well done Hugh and the team for improving this wonderful space.  I have an alternative recommendation for attracting more users and making people aware of this gem of a quiet space in the centre of the town.  Leave the wall alone but replace the beech hedge along the Memorial Hall drive with attractive wrought iron railings.  This would make the space visible to all walking down Browns Lane without intruding on the peace and quiet of the garden.

Nikki Rycroft
👍 14

Sun 30 May 2021, 10:13

I am astounded at the suggestion of lowering the beautiful and historic wall to allow all the noise from traffic, the pollution from all the buses and vans that pass alongside it regularly during the day to go into the garden. Yes , congratulations to Hugh and his team of willing workers for restoring the flowerbed which is going to look glorious, so let’s allow people in to see it, open the gates, and how about a café which would be really appreciated by the Cornerstone and Museum visitors, or allowing people to bring their drinks and takeaways from the Deli to sit in the garden rather than on the road ?  

But to lower the wall to allow passers by to peer in momentarily, and to sell the stone, words fail me ! 

Harriet Baldwin
👍 8

Sun 30 May 2021, 06:35

What actually makes the garden special is that it's behind the wall and the traffic noise and pollution and noise from the pub garden is reduced. You need to knock a window into the wall, or install a see through gate to keep the effect of privacy but still make it visible. 

Rosemary Bennett
👍 5

Sat 29 May 2021, 17:34

Phil, I am not dismissing the efforts of the Garden Society folk working to improve and maintain the secret garden and I thank them for their efforts.

If people want to see the garden, the front door is open and it’s easy enough to walk through to the peaceful and lovely garden. Why does something special and different have to be wrecked? 

Phil Morgan
👍 5

Sat 29 May 2021, 16:33

This is a rather dismissive response Rosemary. The Garden Society are working hard to restore the beauty of this space. As Hugh says; the purpose is to "attract more users". Why on earth should it remain a 'secret garden' hidden by a high wall?

As Steve says, most people don't know that it's there and that it's part of the town's public asset. If the wall is lowered, people can be more aware of just what they've got. 

Rosemary Bennett
👍 4

Sat 29 May 2021, 16:06

Stephen. I will assume that anyone who is sensitive to village quirkiness (things like secret gardens, and the notion of reprieve from passing double-decker buses, noisy and invasive 4x4s, traffic fumes and the like) will not agree with this silly idea. There are precious few spots like this left in the heart of Charlbury, and the Corner House and garden, and the Museum, are parts of old Charlbury, the tiny bit that is left of it.

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍

Fri 28 May 2021, 19:00

Can anyone give an indication as to when the coffee mornings will start again at the corner house ?  as I miss nipping across the road and buying some munchies for my coffee break looking forward to them resuming again soon.

Stephen Andrews
👍 8

Fri 28 May 2021, 16:17

Great to hear that this is being done with the aim of attracting use, as most people do not know that this gem of a space in the heart of the Town is there. In this vein, I’d like the gardens’ high wall along Browns Lane reduced to that of the the Bull’s wall. Unlike the Corner House the wall is not a listed feature and I reckon the work could be done in exchange for the salvaged stone. 

Hugh Belshaw
👍 1

Fri 28 May 2021, 15:02

The flowerbed has now been cleared and edged and one half composted. The second half will be done tomorrow(saturday 29th May) at 10am. Volunteers welcome - wheelbarrow, fork and rake useful but not essential.

Hugh Belshaw
👍 2

Mon 17 May 2021, 19:50

The Charlbury Garden Society and the Corner House Committee have agreed that the CH garden could do with a makeover so that it attracts more users. I have agreed to help with preparation and planting and am looking for volunteers to join me. Initially I plan to work in the garden on Thursdays 20th & 27th May at 2pm for two hours each day. Do join me if you can or give me contact details if you would like to help later on. Hugh 810130.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.