Reporting blocked street drains

Jim Holah
👍 14

Fri 21 May 2021, 10:29

Some success to report; OPC the OCC contractors, have today arrived to clear a drain that's been blocked for 18 months ++.  Even though I had, only today, reported another 2 on the other side of the road, the helpful operative agreed to clear these as well, sorting out the paperwork later.  That's a good service.

Jim Holah
👍 1

Sun 16 May 2021, 20:13

I don't think TW have anything to do with clearing surface water gullies.

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍

Sun 16 May 2021, 17:17

Thought I saw a great big Thames water wagon stopped down Church st last week, not sure what they were doing though

Liz Leffman
👍 4

Sun 16 May 2021, 16:44

Yes, the quickest way to report blocked drains is exactly what Jim has done - I can follow that up with an email to the relevant officer.

I have been campaigning to get drains cleared more regularly and hopefully this will be sorted very soon.  At the moment though they are on whatever cycle they are on - which by the way is four years!!! That WILL change!

Jim Clemence
👍

Sun 16 May 2021, 15:53

I think Liz circulated that reported blockages are being given some priority in the maintenance schedule so hopefully it's not a waste of time.  And these heavy downpours make the photographer's work especially easy.  You'd hope a large number of reports in close proximity might make a maintenance visit more worthwhile and likely.  Keep up the good work Jim, and share your successes.

Gareth Epps
👍 2

Sun 16 May 2021, 15:11

It appears our county councillor (who has campaigned on this issue) is now the leader of the largest group on the council.  Fingers crossed!

Jim Holah
👍 2

Sun 16 May 2021, 11:12

Jim, I've been reporting blocked surface water gullies around the town for months.  Some get cleared but many are declined, purportedly to be added to the "annual maintenance" schedule.  Its all to do with budget constraints (definitely a false economy) but who knows, with a refreshed administration, the age of austerity may end.  Use fixmystreet & if sufficient reports are received, perhaps they'll do something.  Sadly, not even Cllr Leffmans intervention has been unable to clear the blockages in their response...pun intended

Jim Clemence
👍 1

Sun 16 May 2021, 10:03

While hoping that OCC will some day recognise the false economy of its cuts to street drain maintenance, in the meantime could we report the blocked street drains around the town and see if we can get things improved?  I've just reported the blocked street drains on the west side of Dyers Hill. Easy to do with a photo on fixmystreet.oxfordshire.gov.uk.  The surface water flooding on the roads all round the town is creating potholes and contributing to the flooding of the foul drainage and consequent pollution of the river.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.