Where have all the pheasants gone?

graham W
👍

Sat 1 Nov 2008, 10:18

All birds shot are sold to local butchers and then sold as game, these birds and deer taste so much better than factory massed poduced stuff ( which is normally impregnated with water to increase weight and assist freezing)

roger
👍

Mon 27 Oct 2008, 04:17

For two reasons only .To make money for those who breed them and for the pleasure of the people who want to shoot them .

Derek Collett
👍

Sun 26 Oct 2008, 23:10

Why are they let out in the first place though?

roger
👍

Sun 26 Oct 2008, 23:00

I just wonder how we would react to being caged up for most of our early life and then let out amongst the traffic .They are not really stupid but just do not know how callous humans in cars are .

ken jones
👍

Sun 26 Oct 2008, 14:11

pheasants are the most stupid birds on the wing. thats why the upper class kill them for sport.most of the time they just run towards the guns. and they call it sport.

Derek Collett
👍

Fri 24 Oct 2008, 22:30

Janet: there were plenty on the road out of Dean when I cycled along it on Wednesday! The usual brainless pheasant activity - flapping, squawking and running along parallel to the bike in increasingly desperate fashion rather than turning left or right to get out of my way (or flying off - you have wings, why not use them?). Are pheasants the stupidest birds in the whole of Christendom? Discuss! Maybe they have all been run over this year or perhaps farmers have finally realised that the fence has been invented and that their precious stock can be contained and not allowed to roam free on every road in the county, awaiting imminent flattening.

John Biggs
👍

Fri 24 Oct 2008, 19:50

(Janet Biggs) All through the summer we usually have pheasants in our garden and in the field beyond. Not this year. I don't regularly encounter them on the road to Burford, near the Leafield turn, nor in the fields just outside Finstock, as in previous years. We have had no reason to moan and groan about their stupidity as they try to cross the road, as is normal for this time of year. Has there been a change in pheasant management, or is it just the rain?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.