Elections

Christine Battersby
👍 9

Mon 10 May 2021, 09:57 (last edited on Mon 10 May 2021, 13:58)

The Oxford Mail and associated newspapers were reporting that the Conservatives have lost 6 seats on OCC, including their Leader's seat (Ian Hudspeth losing out in Woodstock to Andy Graham of the LibDems), and have lost control of Oxfordshire County Council. They are said to be down from 28 seats to 22; but it seems likely that they are in fact down 7 seats to 21.

Elsewhere it has been claimed that there was a mistake by the returning officer for Banbury Ruscote - generally a safe Labour seat - and that the figures for Labour and Conservative were accidentally swapped over, with Labour the victor there, and not the Conservatives. Labour will be mounting a legal challenge it seems. 

The Oxford Mail has now corrected the story.

So it seems likely that both the Conservatives and the LibDems will end up with 21 seats and that Labour will have 16,  the Greens 3 and Independents 2. 

Tony Morgan
👍 3

Sun 9 May 2021, 10:55

Mark we haven't always seen eye to eye on this forum! but I completely agree with your comments on the Town Councillors

This also applies to the facilities & events which are available in Charlbury because people donate their time and expertise

Community Centre, Beer Festival, Riverside, Street Fair etc

Good to see new & younger residents stepping up

Matthew only if it provides the basis for a four year 'discussion'  on the debate section!

Matthew Greenfield
👍 3

Sun 9 May 2021, 10:42 (last edited on Sun 9 May 2021, 10:42)

Yes, many congratulations and thanks to all the candidates whether successful or not. The important question is: do we have a mandate for an independence referendum?

Rosemary Bennett
👍 5

Sun 9 May 2021, 09:41

I agree with Mark and would like to thank all of the candidates for their considerable efforts. Well done everyone, both winners and runners-up.

Mark Luntley
👍 20

Sun 9 May 2021, 07:41 (last edited on Sun 9 May 2021, 07:42)

I wanted to say congratulations to the people from different walks of life who were elected to our town council. And heartfelt commiserations to those who put their names forward but were not successful. 

Everyone who gives their time and effort to being a councillor deserves a big vote of thanks.

I saw Layla Moran's comment and completely agreed. The range of people, with a variety of perspectives and knowledge putting themselves forward in this way is genuinely humbling. It reminds me why we chose Charlbury as such a great place to live. 

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 5

Sat 8 May 2021, 19:37

Our Town Council candidates’ descriptions have gained the approval of a nearby MP!

https://twitter.com/LaylaMoran/status/1391053327992033280

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.