The Bell & Airb'n'b

John Munro
👍 2

Sun 16 May 2021, 10:50

Sounds really good, Paul. Just looked at the Horse & Radish website and if they turn The Bell into a similar place, as you say, we certainly look like being in for a treat.

Paul D Jenkins
👍 10

Sun 16 May 2021, 07:18 (last edited on Sun 16 May 2021, 07:29)

Like Simon, I have had the pleasure of meeting the new owners, (living next door) and also has a walk round the pub during its current fit out stage. The new “owners” are absolutely delightful and are investing a lot of time and capital in the project. I think we are in for a treat!! The works have been slightly delayed as they have uncovered some issues and have correctly applied to get the appropriate consents to amend their plans. They have taken no short cuts and are doing things properly. I think they deserve our support. They current run the Horse and Radish in Minster Lovell https://www.thehorseandradish.com and are looking to take the Bell to a new place with a high quality menu and top quality rooms fitting of a first class Cotswold Country Hotel!

Rod Evans
👍 6

Fri 14 May 2021, 16:51

Agree totally with Simon.  We are lucky still to have 4 pubs in a place the size of Charlbury.  The difference with the other 3 is that The Bell has an absentee corporate owner with managers being parachuted in every now and then (I think 4 or 5 even in my 7 years here) where the others are locally owned and run and let's just say, 'know their place' - meaning who they are catering for!

Whether the new folks are managers or owners, I hope they make a success of it.  I'd have thought a well run inn/hotel ought to do well here - but it hasn't been in recent times.  Just a pity it seems to be taking a long time to agree works etc with WODC when they really need to re-open.

Chris Tatton
👍 1

Thu 13 May 2021, 17:42

What’s the latest news on when the Bell is going to re-open? 

Gary Harrison
👍 1

Thu 13 May 2021, 17:26

The new owners are aware of the legacy adverts on AirBnB and are attempting to have them removed.

Bob Khosa
👍 4

Sat 8 May 2021, 18:20 (last edited on Sat 8 May 2021, 18:23)

It’s very possible the Air BnB listing could now be a fraudulent one. A tourist family were caught out last week, and some very kind folk outside Rose & Crown managed to rescue their weekend and find them alternative accommodation.

It still comes up as reservable, as Rod says, hosted by Sarah. This would need someone to accept the reservation and payment. https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/41040948?adults=2&check_in=2021-05-09&check_out=2021-05-10&federated_search_id=7bffa0dc-3939-486d-8524-26a643170514&source_impression_id=p3_1620494287_xmomDBVqP21s%2Bt0R

Simon J Harley
👍 14

Sat 8 May 2021, 17:22

As far as I can see, neither Rod’s or Chris’s issues should reflect on the new managers. I assume the Airb’n’b was set up by the previous managers and not cancelled when they left and Chris’s visit was before the current owners took over?  
I spoke to one of the owners on Tuesday who said they have been working with WODC with regards to the building works.  Let’s give these guys a chance, they have had a lousy start what with lock down and are trying to do the right thing to keep the Bell in a fit state where it has been badly neglected in the past. 

Gareth Epps
👍 6

Sat 8 May 2021, 16:54 (last edited on Sat 8 May 2021, 17:27)

The listing can be read at https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1053235

Certainly, virtually no works can be undertaken without consent, and enforcement can be particularly onerous.  The words of the listing sometimes include internal fixtures (eg the fireplace at the Falkland Arms), not always.

We await the retrospective application with interest.  We all want the place to thrive despite the huge hindrance of Greene King.

Jody O'Reilly
👍 2

Sat 8 May 2021, 15:20

The listing of a building covers ALL parts of that building, not just the exterior and not only the bits mentioned in the description. The list description is more about identifying the building only, not a measure of its significance or features of interest. Something all owners/occupiers is listed buildings should be aware of. Enforcement action can be taken and unauthorised works to a LB are a criminal offence without a statute of limitations (letting time pass won’t therefore mean you don’t need consent)

Chris Wastie
👍 1

Sat 8 May 2021, 10:53

well it doesnt look that things have changed much ,last year my wife & i took my sister to the Bell for a meal on her birthday .on entering the bar my wife was told to keep her hands

off the bar counter very rudely .my wife was only supporting herself as she cant stand for very long,

we were shown to a table & given the menu .well i was expecting to see a good list of meals like steak & all the trimings but half the stuff was out of stock,so we settled for Fish & chips & peas..a good birthday meal for my 82 year old sister i dont think.

when the meals arrived i said to the waitress where are the peas .oh we have run out of them .how long would it have taken someone to run up to the coop ,so i vowed i would never go in to the Bell again ....Chris Wastie

stephen cavell
👍 2

Sat 8 May 2021, 09:01

"A retrospective application" is that like what Boris has just done for No 10/11??

Rod Evans
👍

Fri 7 May 2021, 23:14

Thanks Eileen - will keep you in mind for future reference - likely to be more visits in coming months.  On this occasion they found a room - at v short notice - at the Churchill Court in Hanborough, said to be very helpful.

Gareth - I put in a report to WODC.  A quick reply - a retrospective application is expected to be validated next week and they will check what if anything happening in the meantime.  Apparently first reported at end of Jan!

Eileen Hipgrave
👍 1

Fri 7 May 2021, 16:43

Sorry to hear about your sister in law’s Airbnb experience, Rod. If she needs accommodation in the future, I am an Airbnb host, thoroughly reliable, thoroughly dependable, thoroughly modest!  You are welcome to look up my credentials on the website. Eileen.     eileen130849@yahoo,co.uk 01608811210 

Gareth Epps
👍

Fri 7 May 2021, 10:47

The listing does not cover much of the interior.  The changes appear quite drastic though, especially in the lovely front bar.

Rod Evans
👍 2

Thu 6 May 2021, 23:35

A cautionary tale. 

My sister-in-law found rooms at The Bell advertised on Airb'n'b and booked one for 2 nights last Sat/Sun.  Booking accepted and arrival time requested & notified.  On arrival no-one there and the host Sarah's no (01608 810278 - as shown on this website) was unobtainable, not just no reply.  Reported to Airb'n'b.  2 days later they refunded the fee (good) and reported the booking had been cancelled by host (bad - obviously not as after the event!).

Oh and having looked through the front windows, I do hope they have Listed Building |Consent for the internal alterations - I wasn't able to find anything on the WODC website.  Anyone know anything? 

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.