Gigaclear Road closure - Enstone Road

veronica robinson
👍 4

Thu 13 May 2021, 23:41

Martin, as I said in my previous post, I followed the diversion signs only to find after doing so that the road was in fact open.  This situation with the signage is a regular occurrence in Charlbury.  If one cannot trust the signage it is more likely to be ignored. 

Sam Small
👍

Thu 13 May 2021, 23:13

So, access to Lees Heights & Lee Close over this weekend is closed. What about deliveries, etc?

martin
👍 1

Thu 13 May 2021, 22:28

Veronica, I’m not making a point. Just asking a question. Do you ignore all road signs or just ones in Charlbury? Do you run red lights? Do you drive across railway crossings when the lights are flashing? 

Bruce Claridge
👍 5

Thu 13 May 2021, 20:01

Just wondering if the people that are ignoring the road closed signs are the same people driving the wrong way down Fisher's Lane and then turning right and going the wrong way up Sheep Street?

veronica robinson
👍 1

Thu 13 May 2021, 17:21

Martin, your point is?

martin
👍 1

Thu 13 May 2021, 16:15

Veronica, would you ignore a road closed sign in a town you weren't familiar with?

veronica robinson
👍 1

Thu 13 May 2021, 15:50

Just drove up to the Nine Acres, Stuart Road, Enstone Road crossroads, road closed sign in place for Enstone Road.  Drove round diversion route to Enstone Road, Browns Lane and lo as if by magic the road is open.  If that isn’t reason to ignore road closed signs I don’t know what is.  They really should keep on top of this road signage.

Robin Taylor
👍 4

Thu 13 May 2021, 10:51

I agree, Andrew. A few weeks ago when Market Street was closed, but not Thames Street, there was a sign along Thames Street saying 'Road Ahead Closed'. I hesitated, thinking, I’m sure Dyers Hill is meant to be open. So I proceeded with caution, and sure enough, I could turn right into Dyers Hill, the Road Closed sign referred to Market Street ahead, even though it’s no entry from that direction!

Andrew Greenfield
👍 4

Thu 13 May 2021, 10:47

In many cases the "Road Closed" signs have been only half correct which is probably why drivers will try before accepting this is the case.

As an example, for a few days there was a sign at the very top of Dancers Hill stating that the road was closed ahead but giving no indication of where the closure was nor where to go as a diversion.

The closure was actually outside the Coop Store so a right turn to drive up Enstone Road was not possible. However you could turn left down Browns Lane to Market Street or Sheep Street and it was still possible to drive into the Community Centre.

More information was needed for people about exactly where these closures were (just saying ahead is not helpful) and what it really meant regarding access in that area, and the http://one.network/ links pointed to by many have, unfortunately, not always been the most helpful.

Christine Battersby
👍 3

Thu 13 May 2021, 10:05 (last edited on Thu 13 May 2021, 10:06)

I now see I underestimated the traffic problems likely at the weekend (15th/16th May).

Sturt Rd is advertised as being completely closed not merely overnight on Saturday to Sunday, but from 5 a.m. Saturday 15th to 8 p.m Sunday 16th.

The part closed off is from 5 ways to past the turn into Dancer's Hill, with the advertised diversion going right round via the B4437, Oxford Rd and Banbury Hill.

Where are the buses supposed to go, given that the Enstone Rd is also officially closed at the weekend? But perhaps it is not ...

Yes, some drivers do stupid things. But at least when Thames Street was closed there was an official diversion on one network that made sense. This time there is nothing, and that presumably explains the unfortunate overlap of Gigaclear (Enstone Rd) and Sturt Rd (OCC). 

Also the turn to Dancer's Hill is the unofficial route to the Coop (I think), but that's also marked as closed during the Sturt Rd roadworks. 

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 16

Thu 13 May 2021, 08:10

When Thames Street was closed, there were six signs between the Chadlington turn and the top of Dyers Hill. Most saying “Road closed” but some explicitly saying “No route through to Charlbury”. 

People still drove past.

I moved the sign after the station roundabout out into the middle of the lane. Someone else came along later and added a bunch of cones. So you had to deliberately go past a roadblock with a “Road closed” sign in the middle of it.

People still drove past.

At what point is it reasonable to expect drivers to have some awareness of their surroundings and actually read the signs? Ten signs? Twenty?

martin
👍 5

Thu 13 May 2021, 07:55

Would these drivers ignore a red light? 

stephen cavell
👍 10

Thu 13 May 2021, 07:44

"It is a mistake to blame the drivers"?  Who else to blame? The signs were there; the queues of parked cars were obvious; cars turning in our drive at the top of Enstone Rd and in Wychwood Paddocks were all clear indications that the signs of Road Closed were real.  I still contend the chaos was self inflicted.

Christine Battersby
👍 6

Wed 12 May 2021, 22:30 (last edited on Thu 13 May 2021, 00:17)

I think it a mistake to blame the drivers. There is no route to the Co-op if one follows the instructions of one network oxfordshire, and we have all learnt that road closed signs so frequently don't mean what they say.

People get used to thinking that there will be a way through somehow. 

It is going to be particularly interesting at the weekend when a section of The Slade is also officially closed on May 15th /16th from the evening and overnight for roadworks. As far as I can see, there will be no obvious route to the Co-op (and to some houses) for people coming from the Witney direction, but perhaps it will be possible to get there by ignoring diversion signs. 

The problem lies with OCC for agreeing to and posting quite impossible diversions. 

Tim Gosling
👍 7

Wed 12 May 2021, 20:46

You are quite right Stephen. There was a sign at the top. A sign halfway down. At the bottom another sign, a ditch and a barrier. I met a car stuck between a sign and a trailer and he asked me if he could get through. I had to help him back up the hill by moving the sign, but he had already scratched his car when he hit the trailer. I later counted three cars which had stopped in front of the barrier and then parked there. Then another car came down the hill and assumed they were at traffic lights and joined the queue. If i had more time i would have pulled up a chair and watched the fun. On a serious note though it is a bit worrying that people ignore the signs which i presume explains why people ignore the speed limit sign as well.

Harold Laff
👍 6

Wed 12 May 2021, 19:11

Well I will not be switching my internet provider to Gigacrap. The amount of chaos they have subjected our town to over the last 15 months is shocking. I hope others will also reject using them on principle as well. 

stephen cavell
👍 10

Wed 12 May 2021, 18:16

Living near the Enstone X Roads and watching the trsffic I have come to the conclusion the chaos is largely due to the fact that drivers are simply ignoring the signs clearly stating 'Road Closed'  Especially puzzling  when the comments come from those who have been following this thread and have the information before leaving home. 

Tim Gosling
👍 12

Wed 12 May 2021, 12:30

I agree. Chaos! They should put a sign behind the road closed sign saying "read previous sign". That would sort it.

Hannen Beith
👍 2

Wed 12 May 2021, 12:13

Absolute chaos outside the Co-op this morning.

Gridlock, people doing u-turns, reversing, etc.  Can't they have an operative there (MKJ, not the Co-op)?

Had to park near Wychwood Paddocks and walk down and back.

Wendy Bailey
👍 11

Tue 11 May 2021, 16:40 (last edited on Wed 12 May 2021, 08:52)

I feel all credit to Gigaclear for the way they are managing the works there. The COOP still had a delivery at 10.15. Which means access to the surgery  and all other business can "carry on". The bin men were not hindered either. It's only for a few more days. The guy's  are very accommodating. I was even able to turn out of COOP last evening and turn left to drive up to the Enstone Road Crossroads. I am only speaking from my own experience. 

Emily Algar
👍 2

Tue 11 May 2021, 11:42

Susie, they are picking up from opposite Wychwood Close on The Slade.

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Tue 11 May 2021, 10:55

I need to get the 8.05 bus to Witney tomorrow.  Does anyone know where they are picking up from?

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Mon 10 May 2021, 13:21 (last edited on Mon 10 May 2021, 13:58)

Hannen, I think this should be OK if you drive along The Slade from 5 Ways.

Also those in Enstone Rd with a house number more than 1 can get to the crossroads OK.

The problem is that one network oxfordshire still has not updated the diversion, and signs a return route along 1 way streets. 

The link (does not need a password) is here: one.network/custom/oxfordshire/

I believe you will not be able to return to Wellington Cottages if you drive past the Coop . Via the Slade should be OK.

Don't put it off. There are other diversions ahead as well. 

Hannen Beith
👍

Mon 10 May 2021, 13:05

Does anyone know if I'll be able to drive along the Slade and then turn right to get on to the A44 to go to my medical appointment at Chippy tomorrow (Tuesday 11 May) or am I best to play it safe and go via Spelsbury?

I've already postponed it twice.

Thank you.

Harriet Baldwin
👍 1

Mon 10 May 2021, 12:28

The closure is currently outside the co-op -you can get into the car park and drive between there and the cross roads.

The stagecoach buses are currently waiting on nine acres close like they do for street fair

Rachel Ramsay
👍 1

Mon 10 May 2021, 12:11

Wait, what? The Enstone crossroads are closed? I thought it was outside Co-op that was closed? So how are people who live on Enstone road actually meant to get out?!

Emily Algar
👍 4

Mon 10 May 2021, 09:04 (last edited on Mon 10 May 2021, 09:17)

I had planned to catch the 8:05 bus to Witney this morning. Due to the closure of the Enstone crossroads I had presumed the buses would diverted via The Slade as they have been on other occasions. I also  have it on good authority that the 6:50 went this route. However, after waiting there for 15 minutes after the bus was meant to arrive I rang Pulhams to be told the bus had gone past the Enstone crossroads despite the signs on the bus stops saying they would not be stopping there.

Presumably this was because the crossroads was not blockaded at 8am and also because there was no adequate signage. There is also no temporary bus stop on The Slade, which does not help passengers or drivers.

From speaking to Stagecoach and Pulhams there seems to be a communication breakdown and no one knows what is going on and it's a "every wo(man) for himself" scenario. 

Liz - could you ask the council to erect a temporary bus stop on The Slade and could you ask the council to communicate once again to Stagecoach and Pulhams that the crossroads is indeed out of action. 

I am not asking for a renegotiation of the Brexit agreement, all I'm asking is for clear communication and signage. 

Ian Lewis
👍 2

Fri 7 May 2021, 12:43 (last edited on Mon 10 May 2021, 09:59)

If you go onto one network website for Oxfordshire, zoom down to the map of Charlbury and click on the diversion route, then scroll down it gives the technical details for the work, including the data source, which in this case is Oxfordshire County Council!

Amanda Epps
👍 1

Thu 6 May 2021, 22:22 (last edited on Thu 6 May 2021, 22:24)

Ian, I remember when I was a town councillor (2000-2008) County Highways were required to make comments on planning applications.  We often commented that their response was contrary to what local knowledge saw as problematic from a driving hazard point of view.

I also heard District Councillors make similar observations at Upland Planning meetings.

I have had similar experiences to yours when trying to make sense of their website.  The efficiency of the department seems unchanged.

Ian Lewis
👍 5

Thu 6 May 2021, 14:04 (last edited on Thu 6 May 2021, 14:05)

But it is where they advertise roadworks and diversions and link to from their (OCC) website. Also it has to be OCC that provide the (incorrect) information to upload onto the website?

Liz Leffman
👍 1

Thu 6 May 2021, 14:02 (last edited on Thu 6 May 2021, 14:10)

one.network is not run by OCC. OCC may put information up there but others do too. As regards the bus companies last time this happened I was contacted by a bus driver and asked what was happening because he was concerned that he had no information - he then got back to me and said he had just been told there would be a briefing. So I would expect this to happen again. 

Christine Battersby
👍 3

Thu 6 May 2021, 13:58

Liz, you are saying that the only problem is that one.network has made a mistake regarding the diversion route. But as far as I can tell from looking at the OCC website, one.network is the official OCC way of recording roadworks and the necessary diversions.

If there is a different OCC page, please could you post the link.

Also, regarding buses: if you look at the various bus websites, you will see no recorded diversions for Charlbury (plenty for other places). When the Finstock Bridge closure was extended, I emailed Pulham's who had not been told about that. 

I realise that it's not the OCC Councillor's job to deal directly with private companies. But making sure that OCC is doing their job adequately is a Councillor's responsibility. And I don't think the problem is with MJK but with OCC. It all seems so chaotic and unnecessary that I have simply lost patience ...

Ian Lewis
👍 2

Thu 6 May 2021, 13:27 (last edited on Thu 6 May 2021, 14:02)

Liz, so if I am on Enstone Road where is the diversion route that allows me to get to the Spendlove Centre ? The advertised one is via Nine Acres Lane, Thames St and Market St (the wrong way!). The only way is back to the Slade, and down Dancers Hill and PoolesLane which is not advertised.

Oxfordshire County have to approve the roadworks and presumably this includes approving and checking the diversion routes?  This is something they have singularly failed to do in recent road closures. eg Thames St where there was never an advertised diversion when approaching from Buford (road closed signs yes, but no diversion signs and nothing on one.network)

Emily Algar
👍 1

Thu 6 May 2021, 13:26

Harriet, I do remember the very high speed bumps on Nine Acres lane but I was more thinking of what Witney has as you drive in from Hailey, which is what the temporary traffic lights are effectively doing at the moment. From what I have seen, it doesn't seem to be causing vehicles any issues or creating any more of a disturbance than having vehicles breaking the speed limit as the pass the allotments. And presumably, emergency vehicles are not impacted by the traffic calming measures on the way into Witney otherwise they would have been removed.

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Thu 6 May 2021, 13:26 (last edited on Thu 6 May 2021, 13:29)

But they can't get to the Spendlove Car Park, Liz. 

From the Enstone Rd crossroads the official diversion route is Nine Acres Lane, Thames Street, Market street (but this is 1 way) and Enstone Rd. (presumably also via Brown's Lane which is also 1 way). 

AND the reverse route also applies! So, 2 way traffic in Market Street & Brown's Lane, but no traffic lights.

Martin, local residents might know the Poole's Lane diversion, but think about delivery vans, buses, etc. etc. It needs to be officially registered as the diversion if that is the intention.

martin
👍 6

Thu 6 May 2021, 13:25

It’s not for long, surely after the 12 months we’ve been through we can cope with a few road closures 

Liz Leffman
👍

Thu 6 May 2021, 13:16 (last edited on Thu 6 May 2021, 13:18)

If you read my previous post, Ian, you will see that people will be allowed to access the Spendlove car park using the diversion route

Ian Lewis
👍 2

Thu 6 May 2021, 13:13

Liz, I think you need to realise that the planned closure is from 1 Enstone Road down to Pooles Lane, it will not be possible to go left from Pooles Lane around the one way and back to the Spendlove down Enstone Road!

Harriet Baldwin
👍 1

Thu 6 May 2021, 13:08

Emily there used to be traffic calming measures on Banbury Hill (also on nine acres lane) and they were removed because of the problems they caused for residents of nearby houses and for emergency vehicles. 

Liz Leffman
👍 2

Thu 6 May 2021, 12:58 (last edited on Thu 6 May 2021, 13:11)

Christine, I am really struggling to understand what the problem is.  All that is happening is that instead of being able to turn right at the end of Pooles Lane to get into the Spendlove you have to turn left and go round the one way system and eventually you will be able to get into the Spendlove from Enstone Road.  I am not at all sure where the idea that there will be diversion signs pointing people the wrong way up Market St has come from, other than that the one.network site has made a mistake.  I cannot believe that MKJ are going to put up signs pointing people the wrong way up a one way street, whatever faults they may have! As regards the buses, they will have been informed as they will have been sent the temporary traffic restriction order some months ago and will be briefing their drivers as they did when other parts of the bus route were closed.

Councillors have no jurisdiction over private companies like MKJ - all we can do is make sure that things run as smoothly as possible by building relationships.  I am pleased that last week I was able to get them to put signs up all along the B4437, but that was only possible because I had previously made sure I knew who was responsible for doing things like that at MKJ.

I will of course check with MKJ to ensure that the planned diversion takes account of the one way system.

Christine Battersby
👍 2

Thu 6 May 2021, 12:48

Emily, The traffic lights are only shown to be at the crossroads on May 6th/7th, so this is really nothing to do with the Enstone Rd closure next week, so needed to be really on a different thread.

Sorry to keep banging on about the closure, but really it is urgent.

Emily Algar
👍 2

Thu 6 May 2021, 12:36

I am fully aware fo the chaos all of this is causing, so my next sentence is not intended to make light of the disruption, but seeing the traffic lights as you come into Charlbury from Banbury Hill and then actually being able to cross the road safely without being run over by a car, 4x4 or van going at 60mph plus in a 20mph zone, made me wonder if these traffic lights have actually made the Enstone crossroads safer for pedestrians and cyclists. 

If it has, I wonder if this would be good evidence for having permanent traffic calming measures on Banbury Hill for traffic entering Charlbury. 

Christine Battersby
👍 3

Thu 6 May 2021, 11:38

I am getting so fed up with the nonsensical road diversions advertised, and the failure of OCC officials (and councillors) to check that they make sense. 

The bus companies (S3, no 7 and X9) also seem not have been told about the major diversion that will surely affect them, given the complete closure of a section of Enstone Rd next week.

It's all very well Liz posting the message from MKJ about access to CMC and to the Co-op, but if nobody knows the route to get there how will this actually work? 

Please could somebody read  Ian Lewis's post -- a problem first pointed out by John Munro on 2 May, and then also by me (twice before this).

And, yes, this will affect how and who I vote for later today. 

Ian Lewis
👍 3

Thu 6 May 2021, 08:22

The only advertised diversion for this closure is on the one.network website for Oxfordshire, this clearly gives a diversion route along Market st, Thames St, Nine Acres lane and Enstone road, which is fine, however it also states that the reverse route applies, which is NOT fine and goes against the one way. Has anyone from Oxfordshire CC or Gigaclear/MJK actually checked the advertised diversion route? I can see a lot of extra traffic using Pooles lane.

Liz Leffman
👍 2

Wed 5 May 2021, 18:02

I have had the following message from Gigaclear/MKJ:

"All patients needing to use the Medical Centre will be able to do so using the planned diversion route, with regards to the actual entrance to the Spendlove Car Park access will of course be provided we will barrier off half of the entrance at a time. There shouldn't be any issues but if so please advise that they can speak to the site team undertaking the works who will assist in what way they can.

I know there have also been some concerns about the Coop and how they will receive their deliveries, our Supervisor has spoken with the Coop and they are going to liaise with the team that deals with the deliveries and ask them to schedule them for first thing in the morning or later in the day when we have left site."

Christine Battersby
👍

Mon 3 May 2021, 17:36

Yes, Heather. I would think so.

There are 3 sets of multiway traffic lights marked for the Enstone Rd crossroads & the Slade for 6th - 7th May, but nothing else after that.

But I am still not understanding the diversion route for the Enstone Rd which seems to make Market Street & Brown's Lane 2 ways, and with no traffic lights. So chaos also seems quite possible.

I'm also not understanding how any traffic (let alone Co-op lorries) will access the Co-op, since it doesn't seem possible to turn right into Brown's Lane/Enstone Rd at the end of Poole's Lane.

Mandy's post was very helpful, but the mysteries remain.

Heather Williams
👍

Mon 3 May 2021, 17:22 (last edited on Mon 3 May 2021, 17:24)

Do you think you will still be able to drive through Charlbury from the station up Thames Street and Nine Acres to the Crossroads and turn left to Enstone from the 10th of May?

stephen cavell
👍

Mon 3 May 2021, 17:08

1 Enstone Road is the first House after going past the Medical Centre - the gate entrance of 9 Acres Field and proceeding up the hill towards the Enstone Cross Roads.

Heather Williams
👍

Mon 3 May 2021, 15:53

Where is No 1 Enstone Road?

Mandy cooper
👍 1

Mon 3 May 2021, 14:52

MKJ Group, which are completing works in Charlbury to bring the Gigaclear Ultrafast Broadband to the area, will be closing part of the Enstone road in Charlbury, delaying access to our branch from the 10th of May, for 8 days. Please see the notice below. ⠀

** ALL BUSINESSES REMAIN OPEN. If you have an appointment during these dates please leave additional time to get through these works to our Charlbury branch **⠀

“As part of the project to bring Gigaclear Ultrafast Broadband to your area, MKJ Group will be undertaking excavation works in your Road. We would like to take this chance to thank you in advance for your patience whilst the works are in progress.⠀

Due to the narrow width of Enstone Road, Charlbury, OX7 3QR we are legally required to close the Road to complete our works here. The closure will be in place 24 hours a day for 7 consecutive days between 10/05/2021-18/05/2021, which has been approved by OCC Highways Department.⠀

Our works will begin from the junction with Pooles Lane to outside No. 1 Enstone Road. We will try to maintain resident access to properties and business premises, for safety reasons barriers will be erected in front of your driveway/entrance and if you require access in or out of your driveway, please speak to our site team who will move the barriers and use driveway boards to cover any trenches. We ask for your patience whilst this is being done. Once the closure is set up, we will put out ‘Business as Usual’ signs. We ask that you refrain from parking your car in the immediate works site during working times as this will enable us to efficiently complete the works within the dates set out above.”⠀

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Mon 3 May 2021, 12:36

Amanda makes a really good point. I notice that CMC is giving 2nd Pfizer vaccinations in Carterton on 11 May, and so far there are no vaccinations in Charlbury scheduled for that week.

But people with reduced mobility will still need to access the medical centre, plus the dentist's, the vet's and the other facilities.

Could somebody explain how this is to be handled. The  diversion listed on the map makes no sense at all.

Amanda Epps
👍 4

Sun 2 May 2021, 22:36

And how can patients with mobility issues get to the Medical Centre?  It strikes me that Gigaclear have carte blanche to treat the residents of Charlbury with contempt and ignore their needs. Has there been no consultation with any local council  or anyone with local knowledge?

Mark Sulik
👍 4

Sun 2 May 2021, 19:24

How will they deliver to the co-op

John Munro
👍 1

Sun 2 May 2021, 17:34

According to the one.network website it is the section between Pooles Lane and Wychwood Paddocks.  Interestingly, the diversion listed on that website is Market Street, Thames Street, Nine Acres Lane and Enstone Road, but worryingly also states that 'The reverse route applies'!

Heather Williams
👍 1

Sun 2 May 2021, 16:54

When the above is closed, which part of Enstone Road is going to be closed. Is it from the crossroads down to the Co op or further up the road going out towards Enstone itself, does anyone know?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.