The Bull at Charlbury hits the papers again

Kevin Mangelll
👍 6

Fri 30 Apr 2021, 18:22

I can’t help but think Tim’s response articulates it perfectly. I understand the emotion around the paper involved (and i cannot stand the paper personally myself) but it’s still great promotion of a great town with great businesses that need every little bit of support they can get after an awful year. Sometimes you just need to look at the bigger picture.

Rachel Cooper
👍 7

Thu 29 Apr 2021, 19:38 (last edited on Thu 29 Apr 2021, 19:41)

Yes we should embrace the publicity but we should also thank all of our lovely locals for keeping us going all of this time. Without their continued support I may have had to shut my doors. I am so lucky I could come back to all of my clients ready and waiting. So a massive thanks Charlbury Town. I used to do Princess Beatrice’s mother in laws hair but I’m clearly not daily mail material :D 

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍 12

Thu 29 Apr 2021, 15:21 (last edited on Thu 29 Apr 2021, 22:29)

This article and come to think of it any article that mentions Charlbury no matter what "Publication" it's in, is "Free publicity" for the town, I also find that reading a variety of daily papers helps  me from becoming too blinkered from other people's point of view, it's amazing what you can find in the vast array of papers available today, besides there was nothing negative in the article itself just a bit of artistic licence & I'm sure we have all been guilty of that at some stage.

During the lockdowns lots of business's that have been forced to close have been severely affected in and around Charlbury, not just the Pubs, there’s the hairdressers, the beauty salon, stove shop, my shop, Bed and Breakfast establishments, Campsites and not forgetting the people that work on the hoof, mobile hairdressers etc the list goes on & on, it is also fair to say that most of these business's overheads have been pretty much the same throughout the lockdowns but with the added burden of little or no income to support them, some of us have been lucky enough to qualify for the government grants some haven’t been lucky.

So what can we all do to help our local economy ?

Well, we can embrace any good publicity that has been bestowed upon us, such as this article and we can where possible make sure that we -

Shop Local, Buy Local and Use Local Tradespersons if possible and last but not least we can also -

Welcome the Non-Local into the community the person that this article will no doubt help to draw in, the Tourist, the Cyclist & the ones just driving through.

Welcome them into our community and hopefully the community will reap the benefits.

Dave Oates
👍 2

Thu 29 Apr 2021, 13:54

I agree Gareth - Tom's crisps are as good as ever!!!!

Gareth Epps
👍 6

Thu 29 Apr 2021, 12:45

The important thing is to support the pubs that are open.  Both are running significantly under capacity, but with the same overheads; both will be finding that the initial post-12 April surge of enthusiasm has been dampened down, quite literally.  Both have incurred significant costs during the periods of restriction and enforced closure.

'Help', for Tom, Nikki, Charlie and their staff, can only be measured in terms of income and turnover.  By the way, the quality of the food and drink on offer, for those who haven't sampled them recently, is as excellent as ever.

Dave Oates
👍 6

Thu 29 Apr 2021, 11:32

I am with Janet and John on this (now there's a title for a book series!!). I would never read the DM. However, we should be celebrating the fact that one of Charlbury's own businesses has a fantastic write-up, which can only help ti increase trade, not just to the Bull but to Charlbury itself. 

Our pubs have taken a massive hit during Covid and I for one am grateful for the efforts of Charlie and of course, Tom Page at the Rose and Crown for all the efforts they have taken during the pandemic, not just to stay afloat but also to serve the community. Let's celebrate this, not just moan because we disagree with who published the article

Jackie Hague
👍 4

Thu 29 Apr 2021, 10:44

Thank you Janet. Well said.  

John Munro
👍 5

Thu 29 Apr 2021, 10:39 (last edited on Thu 29 Apr 2021, 10:40)

Very well said Janet. Does it really matter if there a few minor inaccuracies, or some poetic licence, in the article?

Janet Burroughs
👍 17

Thu 29 Apr 2021, 10:31

I see Tim’s posting as something that should be celebrated. I think we should all be positive. Or have I missed something? Are we not living through unique times and slowly moving out of another lockdown? Are businesses not having to work hard to re-build? And in particular are not non-essential retail businesses like Tim’s and hospitality businesses like The Bull facing real challenges? So surely any help for them should be welcomed. As the draft Neighbourhood Plan recognises, businesses are an integral part of our community. The media item referred to is surely part informative and part marketing. And it’s not aimed at locals, but at others and might in some way help to attract visitors who will contribute to our economy. 

Claire Wilding
👍 2

Wed 28 Apr 2021, 21:52

"nestled in the evenlode valley..." They've ripped that off from Richard's introduction on the home page!  

Charlie M
👍 2

Wed 28 Apr 2021, 20:37

Typical BS from the organ that supported Oswald Mosley and Adolf Hitler. 
I would pay it no heed.

Hannen Beith
👍

Wed 28 Apr 2021, 18:29 (last edited on Wed 28 Apr 2021, 18:30)

Gareth, agree.

Why the oblique reference to Harry and M?  I can't see it adds anything, besides they've now gone into self imposed exile.  Did they frequent The Bull?

Is this the same pub that was fined and penalised with a costs order for poisoning a girl?  I like The Bull, but really can't these journos do some research?!

"It’s a huge portion that’s meant to be shared but is too delicious to waste even a scrap."  So you don't share then, you just keep it all to yourself!

Allergy:  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-51389521#:~:text=A%20company%20that%20served%20a,%2C%20Oxfordshire%2C%20on%2014%20April.

Gareth Epps
👍 2

Wed 28 Apr 2021, 17:21

Nobody would expect anything from that organ to be accurate, would they?

Graeme Hall
👍 3

Wed 28 Apr 2021, 16:59

Well good luck to them, I say. It's nice to see any local business doing well.

Incidentally it's written as 'high street' in lower case isn't it? So, a description, not a place name. 'Village' on the other hand... Uff!

Sandy Fairhurst
👍 1

Wed 28 Apr 2021, 15:48

“The distant peal of church bells” 

So the mythical “High Street” is nowhere near the centre of town then.

Simon J Harley
👍 2

Wed 28 Apr 2021, 14:01 (last edited on Wed 28 Apr 2021, 14:05)

Who is the man on the bike who sings quietly to himself and where is the High Street?  Do the people who write these articles do any proper research?

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍 3

Wed 28 Apr 2021, 13:25

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/escape/article-9506985/Review-Cotswolds-pub-run-florist-designed-blooms-Harry-Meghans-wedding.html

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.