What shops would Charlbury still have?

Jane parsons
👍 3

Sat 21 Aug 2021, 11:55

I also remember Viv Brackenbury having a tiny shop for selling and repairing watches

Edmund Blok
👍 3

Sat 21 Aug 2021, 09:03

I love this thread. 

john h
👍 1

Wed 18 Aug 2021, 16:38

I am also reminded of Mr Longshaws shop, where Cotswold Frames now are. Sign above shop advertised cooked meats and general groceries , there are still descendants in Town now.  John Harrison 

Ray Marshall
👍 1

Mon 16 Aug 2021, 11:19

We all remember Frank Jeffs Town Hall Cinema but does anyone remember Victory Hall in Church Street which was also equiped to show films but failed to get a public license due the emergency exit. The only way an emergency exit could be provided was through the rear of Frank Baileys shop, which he refused so audiences were limited to members of the armed forces staying nearby.

The Victory Hall used 16mm projectors and the Town Hall cinema used 35mm Kaylee projectors with carbon arc lighting.

Jane Martin
👍 4

Sat 29 May 2021, 14:41 (last edited on Sat 29 May 2021, 15:41)

From the 1930s until 1959 my grandfather owned the house and shop at what is now known as The Old Farmhouse, Sheep Street (currently for sale).  He also used to deliver groceries to nearby villages first with a horse and cart, then with a van. A few years ago the shop was an estate agents.   There was an orchard where he kept chickens, a lawned area called the drying green and a lovely walled garden.  There was also a barn where he stored cattle feed and other stuff he sold.  Most of this was sold off years ago.  The house itself had a small, damp scullery next to the kitchen, 2 reception rooms and an office. There was a conservatory at the side and steep stairs down to a cellar. Upstairs was a huge, cold, bathroom which had a rainwater tap.  It also had a maze of attic rooms where the children of a previous owner used to sleep..  We were never allowed up there because it was riddled with wood worm. I have so many happy memories of that place, It is now completely unrecognizable from how I remember it.

J Fox
👍 1

Thu 27 May 2021, 19:30

Karizma was a beauty therapist. Margaret and team were awesome. 

Not a “massage parlour”. 

john h
👍 3

Sat 22 May 2021, 17:43

That is why the soil in and around the Centenary  Wood is so dark, the badgers are living on one of the old tips, still excavating some of Charlbury's rubbish as they go. John H

Leah Fowler
👍

Sat 22 May 2021, 10:57

He emptied the dustbins as well so they were emptied twice a week!  

john h
👍

Sat 22 May 2021, 10:29

And you could smell him half a mile away!!!!!  John H

Chris Wastie
👍 3

Fri 21 May 2021, 12:54

dont forget Percy Hughes who had the job of empting the buckets of the outside lavy`s into

the purpose built trailer on the back of his fergi tractor ..i can see him now with a fag in the corner of his mouth allways.......Chris wastie

Janet Jeffs
👍 1

Thu 20 May 2021, 09:28

The old bakery in Market Street became the old grocery shop and later on the old betting shop and the old display window.  The Midland Bank and Barclays Bank, Warner's and then Morrison's garage, the old fancy goods/wool/toy shop/book shop and now the DustScan window, the post office in three different properties, all in Market Street.  Another old fish and chip shop in Church Street for a while, below Barnard's and Chapman's butchers' shops, and another fancy goods shop (advertised in one of John Kibble's books).

Alex Flynn
👍

Thu 20 May 2021, 06:43

A quick Google tells me we still have a beauticians in Charlbury Central!

Alex Flynn
👍

Thu 20 May 2021, 06:39

Are there any more old Charlbury shops to mention in living memory. I think most of them have been covered off. We had a massage parlour at one stage didn’t we? They also did petticures - not that I ever needed one! But each to their own! 

Alex Flynn
👍

Thu 20 May 2021, 06:30

Too much sugar (but probably not spice) can lead to type 2 diabetes Richard! :)

Graeme Hall
👍 4

Wed 19 May 2021, 20:32

On a brighter note, the museum display of old photos is fascinating. Thank you for taking the time.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Wed 19 May 2021, 20:27

Let’s keep this thread to old shops but do feel free to start a new one to talk about… (I’m not quite sure?)

Alex Flynn
👍

Wed 19 May 2021, 19:48

"(I was going to say something involving the word 'pedantic' but decided "Hey maybe I made someone's day by giving them this opportunity to feel better about themselves!")"

LOL! How does that make me feel better about myself?

vicky burton
👍 12

Mon 17 May 2021, 21:07

'didn't mean to perplex anyone.

The way I phrased it, reflects the mindset I had when I posted the question. 

(I was going to say something involving the word 'pedantic' but decided "Hey maybe I made someone's day by giving them this opportunity to feel better about themselves!")

Alex Flynn
👍 1

Sun 16 May 2021, 20:42

I must say I am rather perplexed by the thread title "What shops would Charlbury still have?"

Maybe it needs rephrasing to "What shops did Charlbury used to have?" judging by the responses?

Alex Flynn
👍 1

Sun 16 May 2021, 20:29

And their demise is mostly not even down to us saving a few quid with Jeff Bezos.. 

Rosemary Bennett
👍 1

Fri 14 May 2021, 10:19 (last edited on Fri 14 May 2021, 10:34)

Vicky, there was a Forge in the buildings that are now respectively Anvil Cottage and Limestone Cottage, in Pooles Lane.. The original building was divided into the two dwellings but there’s nothing on our deeds about it.

There have been many, many attempts to set up small retail shops since we came here more than 30 years ago, but most don’t survive because we lost the sense of there being a High Street as the shops gradually closed up and mostly became domestic dwellings. People preferred to drive out to Witney, Chippy, etc. for a wider choice. There are exceptions of course, and thank goodness for that.

Judy Dod
👍 11

Thu 13 May 2021, 09:23

This was such an interesting thread that the museum thought it would be fun to put up pictures of some of the shops that traded in the town over the years.  There is now a collection of photos up on the museum noticeboard.  Some date from Victorian times, others much more recent.  It is very selective but will give you a taste of the large collection of photos we have in the museum.  If you are in the town do pop down and have a look.

john h
👍 4

Sat 1 May 2021, 15:51

Time to talk a load of Cobblers. There were 3  that  I remember, Mr George Thames st, Mr Howes Market st , and Mr Price /Mr Clemson  Sheep st . In the days when  shoes were made to last!!  John H

Judy kinchella
👍

Sat 1 May 2021, 14:47

Apologise if it has been mentioned, but I think there was a gun shop where the co-op is now.

michele marietta
👍 5

Sat 1 May 2021, 10:34

UPDATE: Sadly, no win last night for the Euromillions.

I'll keep you posted for next draw.

Janet Jeffs
👍 4

Sat 1 May 2021, 09:22

Charlbury Museum has masses of vintage photos and postcards of individual streets, trades, industries, public houses, people, and folders of bill heads, filed by street, going back to the 19th century. We also hold Professor Leslie's huge and unwieldy album of photos of shops and their owners/managers in the doorways. During the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Year we organised a trail highlighting former shops and businesses. John Kibble's 1930s books include adverts for local businesses showing, eg, how one local garage owned a bus which met every train at Charlbury Station. Not to mention files just donated covering the Charlbury Chamber of Commerce in the 21st century.   Watch this website to find out when you can next visit the museum, perhaps by appointment for your household.

Kim Sale
👍 2

Sat 1 May 2021, 08:39

I'm with you Vicky and in full support of Michele's Euro lottery post win plans. 

I know someone mentioned the Black Country Museum but another excellent museum is Blist Hill Victorian town in Ironbridge Shropshire. The staff/actors there remain in character for the whole of their working day. It's fantastic and highly recommended.

Sam Small
👍 3

Fri 30 Apr 2021, 23:00

It's a pity that the retail premises just up Sheep St from The 3 Horsehoes can't be put to good use. How about becoming an opticians.

Graham Wisker
👍 1

Fri 30 Apr 2021, 19:17

Remember arriving here in 1980, in addition to many of the above, I recall the Car accessory shop next door to Goodgames, Prices shoe shop, the VG and of course News & Things.

john h
👍 2

Fri 30 Apr 2021, 18:05

There was a blacksmith come agricultural repairs. His name was George Brackenbury. His workshop was opposite the Meeting House in Market st. When George passed, his Son Vic built a bungalow on the site. Spent many a happy hour with my Grandfather talking to George. Incidentally they were founding members of the bowles club. John H

michele marietta
👍 2

Fri 30 Apr 2021, 16:15

Vicky -- I'll be a zillionaire, so I'll be able to pay a decent living wage for anyone who works in the shops I set up. I suspect that if people out there really knew how hard it is to bake bread, be a butcher, weave a basket, sew a dress, etc., wages would be a bit higher.

The Internets tell me that the top-paid butchers can bring in about £30K these days. But not everyone is established in locale that pays that high. Some are nearer to £24K. Which is pretty bunk.

But I'm all about the craft shop having model kits and dolls' house stuff. And any crafty demonstrations are more than welcome.

Just off to purchase a ticket.

Phil Morgan
👍 3

Fri 30 Apr 2021, 13:55

Yes, I have been fortunate enough to share a pint with John Moore when he brought in his albums of photographs showing proprietors standing outside their business premises.

John is a 'local hero' who would probably love to participate in a Charlbury history project.

But, John doesn't do this web network so it would take somebody who knows him well to make a personal approach.

Maureen Nash
👍 1

Fri 30 Apr 2021, 12:58

There is a wealth of fascinating information on this topic (and many others) in Charlbury Museum files - highly recommended! 

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍 3

Fri 30 Apr 2021, 11:22 (last edited on Fri 30 Apr 2021, 14:29)

Anyone mentioned green fingers ? (think it was called in sheep st)

Anyway one of the best people on this subject is probably Mr Moore as he has been taking a photo of nearly every new shop and its owner in Charlbury for years it seems.

It would be great if he were able to produce either a book or a online photo book with his and possibly other peoples photos of the shops that have been in the town with the name of owners and description on what was sold and dates and stories etc that would be a fascinating read. 

vicky burton
👍 3

Fri 30 Apr 2021, 11:15

I've seen a former candle factory in Charlbury, surely there were a couple of blacksmiths etc. at some point. Where were they? I'd love to see all the old shop photos if the museum set it up.

Michele Marietta, I think that the people working in the former shops of Charlbury were self employed, not working for minimum wage to make profit for a third party. It's Euromillions lottery tonight so make sure you've got your ticket!  I love the idea of a craft shop. Can it sell model kits and doll houses? Local craftsman could sell hand made things. Kim Sale could do sewing demonstrations and sell her wares there too! 

john h
👍

Fri 30 Apr 2021, 10:46

Chris . To say nothing of a sharp tap on the head from Mrs Jeff's with her torch if you were misbehaving during film show . John H ( not you or I of course!)

Chris Wastie
👍 4

Fri 30 Apr 2021, 09:43

i dont think anybody has mensioned the Ymca near the cinema us lads used to spend alot of time there ,there was two full size billard tables play cards & darts or if it was a cold evening sit in front of a coke fire listening to the oldies conversation ,one comes to mind from Whally Bourne who lived at the end of Hunley lane ..Quote I bought this watch from Vick brackenbury last harvest but it went wrong so i sent it back to him i got it back now & it goes a treat but the only trouble is it bent my watch attal it be some bugger elces.

excuse the bad language......Chris wastie

Chris Wastie
👍 1

Fri 30 Apr 2021, 09:07

we all went to the charlbury cinema to watch Rock around the clock  everybody was stamping their feet to the rythem what a din it made ..chris Wastie

michele marietta
👍 2

Thu 29 Apr 2021, 21:47

Jody - you're hired! I'll be running the knitting and sewing shop part of the time, and my own little Pilates studio the other part of the time.

When I'm not on holiday, that is. Being a zillionare, I'll have a swinging little split-level pad in the Bahamas.

You're all invited, of course.

Joanne Fox
👍 2

Thu 29 Apr 2021, 20:31

Customer since 1998 of Rachel hairdressers.  Makes my day!!

Rachel Cooper
👍 5

Thu 29 Apr 2021, 19:49

Hang on a minute hairdressers still there and trading. Just not Leah Fowler. I took over her 47 year old business in 2000. Still in Old Post House. 

Jody O'Reilly
👍 2

Thu 29 Apr 2021, 19:43

I look forward to that day Michelle, I’ll give up the world of heritage to run your artist supply shop!! 
until that day the Museum have a fabulous collection of photographs of the former shops, and indeed a leaflet on which I based a walk during the Charlbury Festival one year. Maybe soon they’ll run another of they’re brilliant access to the archive type days where they let us all pour over the photo albums in their holdings. 

michele marietta
👍 5

Thu 29 Apr 2021, 17:37 (last edited on Thu 29 Apr 2021, 17:38)

Glena -- when I win, I'll ask Deep if he wants to run the bakery -- he can have a dedicated space to do all his baking and I'll kit it out exactly the way he wants it.

I couldn't do without the walnut sourdough.

As long as we're on the topic of MY world, my grocer would have no plastic bags -- you'd all need to bring along your old-skool basket (like Lizzie Bennett) to carry your produce. And I'd weigh out your sugar, tea, coffee, etc., so you'd only be paying for what you wanted, not what was prepackaged for you.

Basically I just want to live at the Black Country Living Museum.

PS lynne, with her awesome cakes, could run the bakery -- I'll set that up, too, when I win.

glena chadwick
👍

Thu 29 Apr 2021, 12:59

'Baker, butcher, grocer'----surely that would impact on the Deli and the Co-op and Five Ways and the bread sold on Thurs. at Spendlove ?

Nick Millea
👍 2

Thu 29 Apr 2021, 11:58

What about 'Cotswold Garden Rail' - the shop for outdoor train sets that was briefly on Sheep Street?

michele marietta
👍 12

Thu 29 Apr 2021, 11:31

When I win the Euromillions, I'm going to open up shops again in Charlbury just like those described in this thread. I'll be able to pay a living wage because I'll be a zillionaire, and we'll get people in who want to learn how to be a baker, butcher, grocer, etc.

I'll keep you posted about when I win.

glena chadwick
👍 6

Thu 29 Apr 2021, 11:27

A very fascinating trip down memory lane and we only came to Charlbury in 1979. Closures had obviously happened before then and were continuing to happen. Could the clock be turned back ? At the risk of being attacked as negative and gloomy I don't really think so. Some died because they were their own worst enemies--i.e. at one point we had THREE flower shops. Some were really not needed; Goodgames turned into a 'boutique' selling frantically expensive clothes, bags and hand painted silk cushions. We all went to the opening and enjoyed a glass of champagne but I'm afraid never went back. Some were hugely lamented, especially the White Hart with its excellent food and friendly atmosphere but even so (and again at the risk of being shouted down !) aren't the number of pubs we have now (in normal times) about right ? Most of the them were fairly sparsely populated on week nights. Some businesses survived because, like the upholsterers (Peter and Peter ?) they sold furnishing fabrics etc. but also had an ongoing upholstery business. Tim is an excellent example of that tradition. People talk about keeping Charlbury 'vibrant'. I think it is---in its community activities, its societies like the Art Society and the Horticultural Society and lots more. I don't think lots of small struggling shops are the answer.

john h
👍 1

Thu 29 Apr 2021, 10:53

And when it rained you could not hear the film, because of the tin roof!! John H

Gordon Clemson
👍

Thu 29 Apr 2021, 10:11

Sorry ! forgot the Cinema (Mr Jeffs) who could forget the tin roof on a rainy Saturday afternoon and rolling marbles down the slope in the floor

vicky burton
👍 2

Thu 29 Apr 2021, 10:05

Oh wow; this thread is making me nostalgic for a Charlbury I never knew! Wouldn't it be something amazing if we could revive some of these local businesses for the good of all? Considering the level of skill, intellect, artistry and wealth the citizens of this town possess; this is not in the realms of fantasy. The Bull is obviously already on the band wagon with the dailymail advertisement, trying to pull in the Soho FH posse, with the lure of genuine non threatening locals on push-bikes (chewing straw no doubt and tipping their cloth caps;-) 

Failing that; how about window displays in the former shops as part of the Charlbury Festival or something like that perhaps?

Gordon Clemson
👍 1

Thu 29 Apr 2021, 10:02 (last edited on Thu 29 Apr 2021, 10:03)

The butchers were Chapmans on the left and Barnards on the right. Also don't forget Mrs Manners in market street as well as Midland Bank in the same street.

Mollarts where the 'New' post office was, Brice and Price at the top of Dyers Hill.

Frank Marshalls shop in Thames street, later Mr Scott then  Mr Mollart

Mr George also in Thames street (shoe repairer) alone with Mr Howse (shoe repairer) opposite Morrisons Garage.

Shoe repairs wer also carried out at CC Price shoe shop (my Dad !)

Not forgetting the mobile butchers from Chippy every week (Jim Harding)

Chip van from Stonesfield (Mr Harris) 

Mr and Mrs Guy who had the chip shop before Wendy Gee (their daughter)

Who could forget the Rooks Nest on the Spelsbury road !

Dentist in Market street, where Mary Robson started her practice.

Two Doctors, Juler and Chapman....

Richard Broughton
(site admin)
👍 2

Thu 29 Apr 2021, 09:33

Richard: Just an interactive map of Charlbury?  Why, with your post-Council free time you could create a virtual reality or augmented reality walk-about through our town in different time periods. We could become a more popular tourist destination than Pompey or Persepolis.

Martin King
👍 1

Thu 29 Apr 2021, 08:40

Just a slight amendment to Karen’s post in that mum Margaret King ( maiden name Lane) started work in the garage for Morrison’s serving petrol and oil etc from the shop , she worked through changes of ownership of the garage from Morrison’s, Dave and Lilian Cole and finally the Browns.

karen Pieroni
👍 5

Thu 29 Apr 2021, 00:56

The Old sweet shop, we all called Olives, traditional jars lined the shelves.

There was the Spar that was on the Hixet wood road, up the top near the Lee place gateway, that's where we all did our Sunday paper rounds, 40 odd years ago, some of my customers still live in the same houses. VG store, run by Mrs Caiger. Goodgame the greengrocers. Lady bird shop sold items of clothing. Hair dressers, Leah Fowler. The chip shop was Wendy Gee who owned it, great chips, opposite the pharmacy. Barclays was the Deli property. Cotswold frames was The Tool chest. Next to the post office was Midland bank. Where the estate agents is now was Ambrose, our Philip Dyas type shop. Both butcher's were called Chapmans. The toy shop was always known as Miss Vincent's, old book shop, that's opposite where the watch shop was, Vic Brackenbury. Just directly opposite the Old post office was Brown's garage, Gorden and Anne Brown ran that with a taxi service as well, Margaret Lane drove for them for years. Down towards the church was Bayliss shop, brown bags, weighing scales, I think they dropped off shopping if you needed it. Mrs Lay ran the shop next to the Bull, sweets and general goodies, if you could get past the dog.  Little trip down memory lane.

Amanda Epps
👍 1

Wed 28 Apr 2021, 22:35

And the knitting wool shop which then became John Carpenter’s book shop.

Rosemary Bennett
👍 1

Wed 28 Apr 2021, 21:08 (last edited on Wed 28 Apr 2021, 21:12)

The White Hart, at the top of Dyers Hill. You can just about see the original sign writing above the archway. The Marlborough pub, nearly opposite the pre-school at the bottom of the hill.

Harriet Baldwin
👍 2

Wed 28 Apr 2021, 20:11

Vic Brackenbury's watch repairs in market st. 

john h
👍 7

Wed 28 Apr 2021, 17:41 (last edited on Wed 28 Apr 2021, 17:46)

When I were a boy (late 40'early 50's) ,if you turned left from Fishers Lane into Sheep St you could buy a penny bag of sweets, a suit of clothes (Baldwins)a pair of shoes, (Prices)sugar in little blue bags.(Jack Keats)The Wessex Electric co had an office (,as did the Chipping Norton R D C, (manger Mr Bendall) a loaf of bread at "Annies" then your news papers(Jack Cowley) and toys, then finish in the greengrocers(Mrs Lays).  If your watch was broken that could be fixed also (I think it was a Mr Sullivan). Also there were places to have a beer at either end of the road and are  the only remaining business. The Bull and the Railway  Arms(now The 3 Horseshoes). I am sure there are some I have forgotten, but over the years there have been numerous shops that have come and gone. With a third of the population back then ,and 10 times the facilities,  that's progress for you!!. John  H . ps and if you wanted a news paper on Sunday Mrs Marsh sold them up Baylis Yard.  

Rosemary Bennett
👍 1

Wed 28 Apr 2021, 16:39

There was a Barclays Bank where the Deli is now.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 4

Wed 28 Apr 2021, 16:36

It would be interesting to build up an interactive map of what used to be where. Maybe a project for this site after the elections…

Father Clive Dytor
👍 6

Wed 28 Apr 2021, 16:29

And The Old Drapery where now liveth a man of the cloth( geddit?).

Father Clive Dytor
👍

Wed 28 Apr 2021, 16:28

The little outhouse going into St Teresa’s, that has been converted into a parish room over the last year, used to be a  sweet shop I am told.

Emily Algar
👍 1

Wed 28 Apr 2021, 13:37

There was that wedding dress shop that replaced the old Co-op and Shabby Sheep further up the road. I can't say Charlbury is particularly bereft of those two.

I also believe there was a bank in Charlbury pre-1991 and of course the Halifax after that where Cotswold Frames is now. 

Gareth Epps
👍 2

Wed 28 Apr 2021, 13:33

Two butchers (opposite each other), an ironmonger, antiques shop and at least four grocers that I can remember, too.

Rosemary Bennett
👍 3

Wed 28 Apr 2021, 13:22 (last edited on Wed 28 Apr 2021, 13:26)

A butcher, hardware, several grocers, greengrocer, baker, flower shop, electrical and white goods shops, shoe shop, a small garden centre, a gun and country clothes shop, a newsagent, haberdashery/knitting shop, bespoke curtain makers, plus banks and a building society..... off the top of my head...

vicky burton
👍 2

Wed 28 Apr 2021, 10:35

I've been thinking lately about the names of some of the lovely old cottages: The Old Sweet Shop, The Old Fish Shop.. What other retail outlets did we once have?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.