Nine Acres Fence Posts

Meraud Hand
👍 1

Sun 16 May 2021, 14:42

As a parent of football players, it's nice to see that the work is moving on and the pitch has been seeded. Let's hope for exactly the right amount of rain...

And apologies for a possibly stupid question, but are the plans for Nine Acres/minutes of the committee available online? I couldn't see them on the town council website and it might be useful, if they're not online at present?

Mary Heckman
👍

Mon 26 Apr 2021, 07:06

Thank you, Paul for your understanding and help.

Russell Ingham
👍 1

Sun 25 Apr 2021, 21:16

Paul, thank you for your concise explanation - let us hope that we get some rain.

Meraud Hand
👍

Sun 25 Apr 2021, 20:00

Thanks Paul!

Paul D Jenkins
👍

Sun 25 Apr 2021, 09:40

Yes Meraud that would be perfectly possible.

glena chadwick
👍

Sat 24 Apr 2021, 23:59

That was exactly what I meant Meraud but I wasn't quite as clear as you !

Meraud Hand
👍

Sat 24 Apr 2021, 17:11 (last edited on Sat 24 Apr 2021, 17:12)

Are the posts far enough out from the lines that the rope could go diagonally at the corner and miss out the offending corner post while still protecting the pitch? That and a bit of pruning of the big shrub between the steps and the corner might be the simplest and cheapest solution?

Mary Heckman
👍

Sat 24 Apr 2021, 16:18

The tree/shrub has already been cut back to put the post in. Were it to be pruned a little further it may be possible to get round - that is if the post absolutely cannot be moved.

glena chadwick
👍

Sat 24 Apr 2021, 14:56

I don't want the tree to be cut either Rachel, but if the corner post was moved in a bit so that the corner was not 90 degrees but more oblique then one would be able to get round.

Rachel Gallagher
👍

Sat 24 Apr 2021, 11:59

At the moment one of the posts is so close to a tree that a perimeter walk is not possible...but it is a most beautiful tree, and though I would very much like to have a perimeter, I would definitely not want the tree to be cut.  

glena chadwick
👍 1

Sat 24 Apr 2021, 10:43

Thank you Paul for recognising the importance of maintaining a perimeter walk.

Lesley Algar
👍

Sat 24 Apr 2021, 10:21

It would also be good if there were more benches for for people to sit, not just for watching football but a small area to meet people outside or to sit and read etc. I know there are picnic tables near the play area, but that is for families with young children. 

Paul D Jenkins
👍 3

Sat 24 Apr 2021, 08:07

Thank you Glena and Mary for your comments. I will look at the position of the outer posts before we have to rope off the area and we will treat with equal importance the need to maintain a perimeter track/ walk. The grass seed has been postponed from being sown last Thursday slightly simply due to the dry spell we are having and we are allowing the football club to finish their season hence the need to put the outer posts where they are. We are hopeful that the seeding can take place in the next 7 to 10 days. With regard to Russell's point which is also a fair one, we have postponed the works for 2 seasons and really have reached the point of no return. The pitch qualities are in an extremely poor state of repair, currently leading to the some of Charlbury's youth teams to play outside of Charlbury. We have phased the works by pitch  (although more expensive) to allow nine acres to be used by everyone. My final point, to which I have been asked is why the posts are so robust. This is simply from experience that if we don't put in a robust barrier it will simply be ignored, stolen or pushed over and the work undertaken of little meaning. If you have any further queries please do email me at pauldarrenjenkins@gmail.com. Thanks

glena chadwick
👍 5

Fri 23 Apr 2021, 19:09

My friend and I were also rather appalled by the forest of posts which rather destroy the lovely open sweep of 9 Acres. And, as Mary says, the post by the wall stops one walking round the perimeter and the other corner post at that end is right up against the slope so also making walking difficult. Paul Jenkins was able to tell us why it was being done and that the posts will (hopefully) be taken away when the work has finished. Those two corner posts need moving now though. 9 Acres is not only used by the football club but by the whole town---especially important at the moment for people to have family picnics and children and parents to play games etc and people like me who are rather disabled to get some exercise. One understands the football club's need to look after the ground but they need to be aware of how important it is to others.

Mary Heckman
👍 3

Fri 23 Apr 2021, 18:45

The fence posts go so far into the corner by the wall that it will be impossible to walk the perimeter by the wall and certainly that does not seem part of the football area. Perhaps that one post could be moved in just a little to allow access around to the steps and/or the footpath going down to the tarmac path to the Coop.

martin
👍

Fri 23 Apr 2021, 17:37 (last edited on Fri 23 Apr 2021, 17:37)

There will be a barrier around the pitch to protect the grass seed. Both the men’s and boys football club invest money to treat the pitch due to the amount of games played. So it will need protecting to maintain a decent playing surface. 

Russell Ingham
👍 2

Fri 23 Apr 2021, 17:29

I'm intrigued - can anybody explain why about a third of the Nine Acres recreation area has been ringed with fence posts? If it is fenced off then it seems unfortunate to reduce our public space when both lockdown is easing and summer approaches.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.