Boiler cover - is this a scam?

K Harper
👍

Mon 26 Apr 2021, 10:54

Hello and thank you for this very comprehensive information.  "Who called me" is useful but as I generally don't answer unrecognised numbers I am unable to complete the requested information ie. nature of the call - silent, scam, HMRC, insulation, car accident etc.  And as 07 (mobile) numbers are now increasingly being used I have to rely on genuine callers to leave a message that I can return call if appropriate!

Christine Battersby
👍 2

Fri 23 Apr 2021, 11:30 (last edited on Fri 23 Apr 2021, 11:32)

Kris, The different landline, phone equipment and mobile phone and text providers all do things in different ways, so there is no easy answer to your question.

Personally I use BT 1572 (call protect), although as John h says it is of limited value as the scammers tend to use fake and disposable telephone numbers. It also only gives you 100 blocked numbers, and after that you need to delete one or many to add more (best done online). 

I also have some Panasonic handsets which give the option of blocking 50 phone calls. You would need to clear and start again after that. (BT also has some very fancy handsets that screen all calls and ask if you want to receive them. Some people really like these, but I opted for the simpler Panasonic handsets).

On my Samsung Galaxy (android) phone, the easiest way to block calls is to start the phone app, Tap the 3 dots at the top right of the screen , then tap settings, Tap Block numbers, then select either the individual call or the group of calls that you wish to block.

I also have a couple of other diallers that I use, including True Phone (find on Play Store) that allows easy number blocking.

There are also specific blocking apps that you can find on Play Store: "Should I answer?" seems to have the best reviews.

For texts I use Textra (again available on Play Store) which also offers a fairly easy way to blocklist SMS texts (again via the 3 dots, then settings). Other messaging services also allow this, I think.

If you have an iPhone I can't help for mobiles or SMS messages, but I expect others can.

NB it's always worth checking the suspect in https://who-called.co.uk/. This allows you to see how many other people have reported similar phone calls from that number and any comments that were made: safe; neutral or dangerous. 

Hope this helps. 

Charlie M
👍 1

Fri 23 Apr 2021, 09:58

I was plagued by calls from 0843 numbers on my mobile; they would ring for maybe 2 rings, then stop. I decided to look for a free call blocker program to download, and found something called "Simple Call Blocker", which can block *ranges* of numbers. I installed it, set it to block a range of 400,000 (!) 0843 numbers. Even though it told me it did not install correctly, since I did that I have had no more of those calls. 

Happy me! :-) 

john h
👍 2

Fri 23 Apr 2021, 08:47

The BT 1572 is a waste of time! . The scammers alter one digit of their call number and this defeats the object of call blocking. This can be seen if you have caller display on your system,this is a better method of detecting unwanted calls.  John H

Angus B
👍 1

Thu 22 Apr 2021, 22:59 (last edited on Fri 23 Apr 2021, 23:22)

If you’re with BT it’s 1572 to block numbers.

K Harper
👍

Thu 22 Apr 2021, 17:02

Christine, please can you advise how to block these "nuisance" numbers? Thanks Kris

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Wed 21 Apr 2021, 15:53

Yes. Had quite a few of these -- at least 30 I would think. The last one was from a 01926 number, but fairly sure this was a fake number, and not from Leamington Spa.

I generally block these numbers.

Tony H Merry
👍

Wed 21 Apr 2021, 15:38

We have just had a phone call offering a reduced price on our boiler cover but we suspicious as it was not clear who they were calling from.  Think this might be a scam and wonder if anyone else has had a similar call. 

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.