Pond life

Gareth Davies
👍 1

Sat 17 Apr 2021, 16:20 (last edited on Sat 17 Apr 2021, 16:22)

Hi, I have horsetail and bullrush which i need to thin out considerably, you are welcome to take it. Both are excellent pond plants oxygenation and cleaning the water. Low maintenance just thinning out once in a while. Just need a bucket or two, contact me through the mail if interested.

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Sat 17 Apr 2021, 15:12 (last edited on Sat 17 Apr 2021, 15:14)

Chris, A pool and tadpoles are exciting, but I think you should avoid moving plants from others' ponds. 

Frogs are dying because of Ranavirus, including in Oxfordshire, and Ranavirus is spread through moving infected tadpoles, plants, spawn and mud. 

Here's Stephen Fry on the topic: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/2019/jun/whats-killing-british-frogs-stephen-fry-explains-new-animation

I have a pond with a large leak and which is awaiting re-lining. I will therefore have some plants, but I will probably not share them. And I decided to leave the frogspawn to the wildlife to dispose of, rather give it away. 

There are some decent garden centres for water-plants not too far away. I generally prefer the one in Lechlade, but Yarnton and Bicester also do aquatics. You will, in any case, need some aquatic plant pots/holders to house your plants, so I really think you should treat yourselves -- and also the frogs!

Chris Gowing
👍 1

Sat 17 Apr 2021, 11:28

We've recently moved into the town and have inherited a garden pool and, with great excitement, discover that we have tadpoles. However, there are few plants and I wonder if anyone could spare any to keep the tadpoles going until we can buy some? 

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.