Finstock Station Bridge reopening?

Anna Cherry
👍 1

Thu 22 Apr 2021, 18:52

The road was open today but be warned: preparations for resurfacing - which means temporary closure - are now in place viz the 20 mph 'risk of skid' signs [same as those on the Chippy Spelsbury Road just before and after resurfacing]. If anyone has an update tomorrow, please post here as there doesn't appear to be any information on the relevant authority website.

Brian Murray
👍

Thu 22 Apr 2021, 18:21

But have the 'road closed' signs been removed yet Michele? 

michele marietta
👍

Thu 22 Apr 2021, 17:39

Road to Witney open today -- clear as a bell.

Brian Murray
👍

Thu 22 Apr 2021, 16:28

Pleased to hear it Liz. That's exactly what I asked for and also put to Mr Reeves.

Liz Leffman
👍 1

Thu 22 Apr 2021, 16:22 (last edited on Thu 22 Apr 2021, 16:23)

One of the Highways officers is taking charge of getting the signs up on the B4437 next week, so that traffic coming towards Charlbury from Burford and Chadlington is warned about the road closure well before they get to the station and there will be a sign at the station telling drivers not to turn right. 

Brian Murray
👍

Thu 22 Apr 2021, 16:09

I wrote this morning to Eddie Reeves, the county council cabinet member who holds the portfolio for 'highways', asking him to ensure the road closure signs relating to the bridge closure are removed quickly. I also told him that I believe signage relating to the closure of Thames Street is far too important to be left to MKJ/Gigaclear. I've received an acknowledgement and will post the reply when received.

Sue Way
👍

Thu 22 Apr 2021, 13:49

It’s definitely open. More than that I cannot say!

Jean Adams
👍

Thu 22 Apr 2021, 08:58

Is the road definitely open now? For ever?

Nikki Rycroft
👍 2

Wed 21 Apr 2021, 21:08

Despite the Road Closed signs, it was completely open all morning with no sign of any workmen or vehicles. 

Anna Cherry
👍

Wed 21 Apr 2021, 19:29

Tomorrow [Thursday] I need to drive towards Witney. Does anyone know if the road is actually closed for resurfacing in Finstock?

Helen Wilkinson
👍

Tue 20 Apr 2021, 20:55

Yes - the route the bus takes

Susan Terry
👍

Tue 20 Apr 2021, 20:03

Helen, could you just clarify, can you turn left in Finstock towards the shop/school/Plough? 

Helen Wilkinson
👍

Tue 20 Apr 2021, 10:50

You can get over the bridge but the road round Finstock is closed and the road through Finstock is open - please take care as there are lots of parked cars.  

vicky burton
👍 1

Tue 20 Apr 2021, 10:09

I have just returned to Charlbury over Finstock bridge. It is fully accessible now (apart from a UBICO van parked up). Yippy!

Rita Steffens
👍 2

Tue 20 Apr 2021, 07:46

Road works

Finstock  road is closed between 9-30 until 3-30 for two days 

Nikki Rycroft
👍 3

Mon 19 Apr 2021, 20:54

The bridge was open this evening and the signs have been removed. 

However resurfacing is taking place at Finstock , although perfectly passable at the moment. 

Sue Normand
👍

Mon 19 Apr 2021, 18:19

How annoying - I took a diversion as signs still out.... 

Helen Wilkinson
👍

Mon 19 Apr 2021, 16:50

Just returned from Witney - almost the normal way.  

I decided to chance it and as there appeared to be plenty of traffic flowing back towards Witney  - including the bus - I reckoned it must be open.  Got as far as the crossroads in Finstock (leafield rd/ Finstock High St) where there was a barrier across the Charlbury direction - so I went down the High St, past the Plough and back up to the Charlbury road where I saw traffic approaching me from the Charlbury direction, despite plenty of road closed notices. There is a bit of a chicane round the signs - but the road was passable.  Whether that remains during working hours tomorrow we shall just have to see!

christopher edeson
👍

Mon 19 Apr 2021, 14:58

i got through at 7am to witney, leaving shortly, god knows if i will get back through ! we will see..... 

Rachel Ramsay
👍

Mon 19 Apr 2021, 14:25

So is the road to Witney open or isn’t it?

vicky burton
👍 1

Mon 19 Apr 2021, 13:53

This is chaos! You couldn't make it up!

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Mon 19 Apr 2021, 09:59

Are they doing the resurfacing ahead of schedule? The Chad/Spelsbury rd has already been done.

John Munro
👍

Mon 19 Apr 2021, 09:43

May have spoken too soon!

My wife has just driven to Witney but phoned to say that the contractors are already coning off the road further along at the Finstock crossroads in preparation for the resurfacing work.  She said the she only just got through....

John Munro
👍 3

Mon 19 Apr 2021, 08:51

Excellent -  at least for a couple of days!

Thanks.

christopher edeson
👍 2

Mon 19 Apr 2021, 08:44

the signs are up saying closed but you can get through - I did this morning as did many others coming the other way. there is no road work equipment there any more, all clear, they just haven't taken down the closed signs. 

Alan Cobb
👍

Mon 19 Apr 2021, 08:29

Shown as still closed on one.network - should be open 20th April.

Jackie Hague
👍

Mon 19 Apr 2021, 08:28 (last edited on Mon 19 Apr 2021, 08:29)

I’ve just received a message telling me the road is open. 

John Munro
👍

Mon 19 Apr 2021, 07:32

Can anyone confirm that the road is actually open again this morning?

Liz Leffman
👍 3

Fri 16 Apr 2021, 22:15 (last edited on Fri 16 Apr 2021, 22:22)

As far as anyone knows the bridge is open from Monday - that is up to Network Rail, but that is what they have said.  The road will be closed again for a few days from the 22nd for resurfacing.  The permit says that will be until the 26th but it is likely to be less than that.  From the 26th the road will be completely open again and we will all breathe a sigh of relief.

Anna Cherry
👍 1

Fri 16 Apr 2021, 19:26

Please can anyone confirm that as of 19 April we will be able to drive to Witney without encountering total road closure as opposed to road work controlled traffic lights at other points on the route? I'm confused!

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.