Loud droning noise outside at 4am?

Brian Murray
👍 2

Sat 27 Mar 2021, 14:30

The train came up from Paddock Wood, Kent to do its track-grinding job between Moreton in Marsh and Oxford. Rob's comment about the fifteen minutes is spot on, with the train taking the usual 35 minutes travelling from Oxford to Moreton but a staggering 3 hrs 20 minutes going back - with the Charlbury to Finstock stretch taking 9 1/2 minutes!

Rosalind Scott
👍 3

Sat 27 Mar 2021, 11:08 (last edited on Sat 27 Mar 2021, 11:10)

I heard the extraordinary noise in the early hours and from an upstairs window could see lights advancing slowly through the trees. Eventually the train appeared passing through the station in the direction of London. It seemed to consist of an engine and three carriages each transporting something bulky lit up with multiple lights as if for Christmas. It was quite a spectacle and I would have liked to see it more clearly. I'm so glad Richard could explain the mystery.

Chris Wastie
👍 1

Sat 27 Mar 2021, 10:13

yes i heard a noise early in the small hrs i even checked my bedside radio to see if it was on half station but then the sleep feeling got the better of me zzzzz...chris wastie

Rob Stringer
👍 1

Sat 27 Mar 2021, 08:07

Ahh that must be it! Was super eery, and the sound really carried! Thank you. Apocalypse averted for now.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 3

Sat 27 Mar 2021, 07:56

Network Rail grinding train, I think:

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/running-the-railway/looking-after-the-railway/our-fleet-machines-and-vehicles/track-treatment-fleet/

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U79906/2021-03-26/detailed

Rob Stringer
👍 1

Sat 27 Mar 2021, 04:37

Anyone able to explain the incredibly loud droning/thrumming noise outside that woke me in the night? Really loud, and gradually passing by into the distance - but didn’t sound like a road-based vehicle or motor, while passing too slow to be a plane? Seemed to take fifteen mins or more to pass.
Unless I can get a good explanation then I’m going to conclude aliens.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.