Lockdown anniversary

sue holiday
👍 1

Wed 24 Mar 2021, 10:00

If you're the same Nick I think you are, I live next door to where your parents-in-law used to live. We lived for some years under their shadow, enjoying them being there as lovely neighbours, and indeed, under the shadow of a large ash tree in their garden, which still exists. Recently pollarded, it has now lost huge boughs that wonderfully shaded the back of our house and garden (though now with ash die-back disease, perhaps it all should have come down). We now find the rear of our house amazingly warm and light without its shade, a poignant daily reminder of the differences between living in shadow or in the light. 

I do like your inspired poetic words. They reminded me of these:

And I have put my words in your mouth and hidden you safely in my hand.

I stretched out the sky like a canopy and laid the foundations of the earth.

I am the one who says to Israel,‘You are my people!’” Isaiah 51:16 

[can we include Charlbury in that thought?]

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalm 23: 4

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91: 1

Some sat in darkness and deepest gloom,
imprisoned in iron chains of misery.
He brought them out of darkness and the shadow of death,
And broke their chains in pieces.
 Psalm 107: 10 and 14

As the apple tree among the trees of the wood, so is my beloved among the sons.

I sat down under his shadow with great delight, and his fruit was sweet to my taste.

Song of Songs 2:3

Perhaps light can shine again on all our Charlbury folk, especially if living in shadows, unable to see the expanse of sunrise and sunset as we, like Rachel, do have the privilege of seeing each day.

Rachel Gallagher
👍 6

Tue 23 Mar 2021, 17:57

Well ! No poetry from me but I see wonderful sunsets - from my sofa, 180 degree view. I'm in Nine Acres Close and feel very lucky.

Rosemary Bennett
👍 1

Tue 23 Mar 2021, 14:33 (last edited on Tue 23 Mar 2021, 21:15)

Nick Johnson
👍 7

Tue 23 Mar 2021, 13:16

In this town it is difficult see a good sunset.

Something always gets in the way: A glory

Hidden by a hill, a fire behind a filigree of black branches,

A stark, angular chimney pot framed by indigos and pinks.

Power and beauty obscured, our awareness blunted.

A muted light shines from behind the curtains.

Some have not been out for a year.

Light years apart.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.