Council Tax

Charlie M
👍 2

Mon 5 Apr 2021, 19:41

Angus, according to my council tax bill, my payment is due on the 1st of the month, even though my payment date is normally the 25th. Maybe the "new computer system" has something to do with it. Anyway, I have absolutely NO intention of paying until the 25th, and if they have the effrontery to send me a late payment letter, they will certainly get to know about it! 

Angus B
👍

Mon 5 Apr 2021, 18:46

I still had had no notification of the new rates last Wednesday. As one of my tax responsibilities is paid on the first of the month I telephoned WODC to find out how much I was to pay. They told me and then said both my notifications had been sent... to our previous address in Surrey! (We moved here in August 2018). However the people who now live at that address have received nothing and my notifications have come via email for the past three years. On Saturday I received two forms to fill - one for each property we own in Charlbury - for all our details so that WODC can start charging us, even though the payment for one property was collected from my bank account on 1st April. I wonder just what is going on.... WODC told me on the phone they'd had a new computer system installed recently.

Has anyone else had similar problems?

Alex Flynn
👍 4

Thu 18 Mar 2021, 20:02 (last edited on Fri 19 Mar 2021, 10:45)

My bill arrived today - I nearly cried! So what are we really getting to justify the significant increase? Bobbies back on the beat (instead of hovering around in choppers)? Waste disposal workers (formerly known in less politically correct times as binmen) that put the bins back tidily? Or are we beginning to pay for COVID?

Carl A Perkins
👍

Wed 17 Mar 2021, 18:08

Sorry Michael! And thanks all.

I was hoping that there might have been some kind of constituency lottery each year that I didn’t know about whereby 10 lucky residents get drawn out and have a council tax free year - oh well.

Perhaps they are still calculating the rise to cover the cost of the excellent new half a million quid a pop bin wagons they are introducing in Oxford?

Alex Flynn
👍

Wed 17 Mar 2021, 13:21

They are not going to forget Michael! And it will just accumulate!

Angus B
👍

Wed 17 Mar 2021, 13:09

We’ve had a letter from the valuation people to say our tax is to be increased as a previous owner extended the house so maybe WODC are waiting until all such letters have been sent out.

Michael Flanagan
👍 2

Wed 17 Mar 2021, 10:47

Why do people do this?

No sooner does Carl post the question than the bills start arriving. Ours has just popped through the door. 

Graham Wisker
👍

Tue 16 Mar 2021, 21:11 (last edited on Tue 16 Mar 2021, 21:12)

Death and taxes are only certain in life according to Franklin 

Alex Flynn
👍 1

Tue 16 Mar 2021, 19:57

If there's one thing we can be certain of is that it will arrive! Even in the 11th hour...

Charlie M
👍 1

Tue 16 Mar 2021, 19:56

I haven't had one either. 

Maybe they've given me time off for good behaviour.

Chris Tatton
👍 7

Tue 16 Mar 2021, 19:19

Happy to send you mine, if you insist. 

Carl A Perkins
👍

Tue 16 Mar 2021, 17:07

I've not received a bill for 2021/22 yet. Surely I should have done by now...?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.