Gigaclear (Debate)

stephen cavell
👍

Thu 18 Mar 2021, 07:17

Thanks Geoff that explains it.  I did not realise that I was the only one seeing the word Edit on my posts.  I did wonder if it was open to use by others. Clearly I'm a bit slow on the uptake  again thanks.

Geoff Holmberg
👍 4

Wed 17 Mar 2021, 19:21

Hi Stephen - The word "edit "appears under your name  when you post something so that you can change it if you want. You are the only person who can see it. Or of course use it.

Very useful facility I find to correct my missed typos.

stephen cavell
👍

Sun 14 Mar 2021, 21:58

Tim I lived in a tiny hamlet on the Lizard Peninsula. We had our own private well and sewage system. My father refused to have mains water and sewage installed when the suddenly appeared one day, because of the costs. He was then furious when council men came round and condemned the well and the sewage system and we had to go on the mains for both.

Great banter Hannen as usual - love it. Keep it coming. 

The word dinosaur .comes to mind.

Does any one else wonder why the word 'edit' always appears under my name

Hannen Beith
👍 1

Sun 14 Mar 2021, 18:57

Completely agree Tim.  Thank you.

I too might well sign up.  But I would rather it was my decision.  

Lucky enough to be close to the BT box, but understand that it's going to be closed down.  Our broadband is brilliant (BT) but we shall see.

MKJ?  They are my mates now.  I take them tea and home baked cakes.  Lovely people.  We have great chats.  

Tim Gosling
👍 2

Sun 14 Mar 2021, 18:28

Just for balance I will announce that i signed up for gigaclear. Absolutely brilliant. Night and day improvement from vodaphone and BT before that. Excellent service from the installers. They came when they said they would, cleaned up the mess afterwards and now i have superb superfast broadband which with the assistance of one booster works all over the house. I cannot recommend them highly enough. 

Now this will no doubt be an opposite experience from some other commentators who will not have signed up for Gigaclear on the basis of the inconvenience that they have suffered at the hands of those digging up the roads. I do sympathise with them, however, I believe the benefits for my family outweigh the inconvenience we have suffered (but perhaps not the inconvenience of others). I wonder if there were as many complaints when the roads were dug up to bring running water to each house, or sewerage, or gas. Some will no doubt say that those things are essentials. If you have teenage daughters i must confirm that not having good broadband for all is indeed a matter which is far worse than a matter of life or death. 

Blue touch paper has now been well and truly lit, so i await the fallout.     

Hannen Beith
👍 3

Sun 14 Mar 2021, 16:29

Sorry Stephen, but we are not at home to Mr Grumpy today.

stephen cavell
👍 4

Sun 14 Mar 2021, 07:30

I am still surprised that so many are confusing their personal animosity against MKJ and Gigaclear with the overall objective of introducing improved internet connectivity to Charlbury. Whether or not YOU want it why interfere with the chances of others to enjoy the benefit?

Charlie M
👍 6

Tue 9 Mar 2021, 16:05

Surely the doorstep hasslers are NOT "IT and data infrastructure workers" ... they are purely salesmen and women, and as such they are not "key workers".

Christine Battersby
👍 3

Tue 9 Mar 2021, 13:54

I think Gigaclear callers do count as "key workers", judging by the definition that includes "IT and data infrastructure workers": https://www.betterteam.com/uk/what-is-a-key-worker

Although I probably won't go with Gigaclear, I found their visit useful in terms of answering various questions that I had: length of front garden, thickness of walls & standard installation; length of time that free installation is on offer for; what happens if Gigaclear have sited their connection point at an unsuitable place in the street, etc. etc.

It would have been harder to answer these questions on the phone, and in fact I would probably not have bothered to take the call. 

Chris Tatton
👍 3

Tue 9 Mar 2021, 13:23

Presumably they could write or ring residents, rather than hassling them on the doorstep. 

Gareth Epps
👍 3

Tue 9 Mar 2021, 09:38

They are certainly not 'key workers' as indicated on the hi viz.

Amanda Epps
👍 3

Mon 8 Mar 2021, 21:39

Yes, Tim it is unless you have requested the visit and I certainly didn’t respond to the letter which went straight into the recycling.

Harriet, at the time of the incident, the government had prohibited election candidates from canvassing in the run up to the May elections.  As both activities involve cold calling, I cannot see why Gigaclear could be permitted to carry out unsolicited visits, particularly when we were in lockdown.

Tim Gosling
👍

Mon 8 Mar 2021, 15:30

Just curious, but is it still cold calling if they sent you a letter in advance?

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Mon 8 Mar 2021, 13:42

Amanda it's not a breach of the rules. If you can't work from home, you can go out to work. So that's what they're doing. nothing about essential workers in the current lockdown regulations. 

Amanda Epps
👍 4

Fri 5 Mar 2021, 22:40

Yes, I am too, Hansen.  I was also approached despite having the TVP notice.  
I have complained to TVP via their website.  Candidates in May’s elections are banned from canvassing yet these people who claim to be essential workers are getting away with an obvious breach of the rules.

Perhaps everyone else who objects to this intrusion should contact the police.

Hannen Beith
👍 1

Fri 5 Mar 2021, 12:16

Is anyone else getting fed up with the doorstep callers?

This despite my TVP sticker warning cold callers to go away.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.