It's back! Only a small house on the way to Witney

Charlie M
👍 2

Wed 24 Feb 2021, 23:49

For a design that is "reasonable" for such a site, I would point you towards Kingswood Farm (on the left as you drive towards Woodstock). Extravagant? Yes. Tacky? No.

Deborah Longshaw
👍

Wed 24 Feb 2021, 22:53

Two words  - hideous carbuncle! 

No doubt will be snapped up by some Arab oil magnate. 

Rod Evans
👍 2

Wed 24 Feb 2021, 21:38 (last edited on Wed 24 Feb 2021, 21:42)

I know nothing of the specifics here but my guess is that the permission stems from a perception some years ago (15? 20? I lose track these days) that "no-one is building any large country 'hices' / stately homes any more".  We can make an educated guess about who (plural) might have had such a perception and why they might have thought that a 'bad thing' - but it led to a change in national planning guidance which allowed for - if memory serves - large houses of an 'exceptional design' to be approved in rural areas where normally housing would not be permitted.  Whether that's still the case I'm not sure but no doubt ascertainable.  Whether this one is of an 'exceptional design', dear reader I leave you to judge.  'Exceptional' of course does not necessarily mean 'excellent.'  Personally I'm with Claire - and fancy the original Robert Adam would be too...

Hans Eriksson
👍

Wed 24 Feb 2021, 20:09

I do wonder that Philip. Massive planning history on that site, you can search on WODC using St Johns House Akeman Street. Meanwhile for us mortals, who just would like a little extension at the back of the house, and not visible to anyone have trouble from the same planning office. The logic is baffling!

Philip Ambrose
👍

Wed 24 Feb 2021, 19:35

How did that Akeman Street project get approved by WODC planners? 

Christine Battersby
👍

Wed 24 Feb 2021, 11:38 (last edited on Wed 24 Feb 2021, 11:38)

Well, it might do for Rupert Murdoch.

I am told by friends in the Tews that Rupert Murdoch and Jerry Hall have not, in fact, bought Great Tew Manor, despite this having been reported by the Banbury Guardian, The Mail Online, plus various property and Australian news sites (also discussed in the Debate section here).

It looks as if all reports came from The Mail, and if they were wrong so was everyone else.

Not sure if this was just fantasy or an offer to buy the Manor that did not finally go through. If the latter, this monster (designed by Robert Adam -- no, not the original one, but by an architect with a conveniently similar name) will be just the job.

Hans Eriksson
👍

Wed 24 Feb 2021, 10:09

It's no good. Travolta has a runway for is 707 at his house in Florida. Neither does it have underfloor heating for the driveway.

Wendy Bailey
👍

Wed 24 Feb 2021, 06:53 (last edited on Wed 24 Feb 2021, 06:55)

Nice one John, or a lottery win....... and quite a few would afford it. 

John Kearsey
👍 1

Wed 24 Feb 2021, 00:19

Trump's retirement gaff?

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Tue 23 Feb 2021, 20:46

Don’t know, Rod, but he has an estimated net worth of $100m so could probably afford it…

Rod Evans
👍

Tue 23 Feb 2021, 20:45 (last edited on Tue 23 Feb 2021, 20:46)

I seem to have turned all John McEnroe! 

Claire Wilding
👍 4

Tue 23 Feb 2021, 17:02

Wow that's a monstrosity, it reminds me of Caesar's Palace in Vegas. 

Michael Peake
👍 3

Tue 23 Feb 2021, 16:09

£10? That money would be better spent on the virtual beer tasting this Friday!

Charlie M
👍 1

Tue 23 Feb 2021, 16:06

I bid a tenner. Any higher, anyone?

Hans Eriksson
👍

Tue 23 Feb 2021, 14:38

It's POA now, but in earlier years he has been asking some £ 4 million plus.

Helen Chapman
👍 4

Tue 23 Feb 2021, 14:19

I wonder how much the land is selling for? Maybe we could club together and buy it and turn it into allotments or woodland instead...

stephen cavell
👍 1

Tue 23 Feb 2021, 11:00

Think I'll wait 'til I need to downsize!

K Harper
👍 1

Tue 23 Feb 2021, 10:09 (last edited on Tue 23 Feb 2021, 10:10)

POA! Guess the agents will be inundated . . . !    Kris 

vicky burton
👍 1

Tue 23 Feb 2021, 09:22

Perfect Hans? I'm not even willing to consider it unless the plans include an indoor swimming pool!

Hans Eriksson
👍 3

Mon 22 Feb 2021, 22:45

I am quoting from the estate agent details "We spend years acquiring exquisite pieces, whether our passion is for art, fine wines, classic automobiles, thoroughbred horses or private jets. it boasts a viewing room that opens onto your private museum beneath the entrance courtyard. This climate-controlled exibition area is protected from direct sunlight, and is a safe and secure sanctuary for the display of priceless art, classic cars (up to 50 can be displayed), sculpture and antiquities, making this a once in a lifetime opportunity for the true connoisseur. With a ballroom inspired by The Great Gatsby"

Now this is perfect, I already have private jets and nowhere to store my 50 cars. The site is on the east side of the Witney road between the 1st turn off to Ramsden and Akeman St. We have discussed it on this forum before. Nb. The spelling mistakes aren't mine. 

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/89204194#/

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.