Clothes bank

Father Clive Dytor
👍 5

Fri 19 Feb 2021, 18:49

Thank you. That is so helpful. I have an embarrassing number of suits from my previous secular occupation( Head Master) and they are hanging in my wardrobe just waiting for Mr and Mrs Moth again..I would much rather they went to someone who needs  them. I think the Fire station sounds excellent.

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Fri 19 Feb 2021, 10:02 (last edited on Fri 19 Feb 2021, 10:06)

Richard's (useful) reply was for the Spendlove clothes bank.

The Fire Station Clothes Bank sends its profits to the Fire Fighters Charity; https://www.firefighterscharity.org.uk/get-involved/recycle-your-clothing

Clicking on the various links on that page shows that all clothing is recycled in the UK, ours in Northamptonshire; that the scheme has been running since 2008; and that all profits go to the Charity, with clothing banks on Fire Station sites being particularly profitable. 

"The donated clothing, shoes, handbags and textiles are collected by our recycling partners and wearable clothing is re-used, usually sold in under-developed countries. Any textiles that are un-wearable are recycled into such items as industrial wipers and car upholstery and also re-used in the production of many other items. The income generated for The Fire Fighters Charity from textile recycling helps fund the physical, psychological and community support which we provide for those in the firefighting community who are in need."

They are a bit more fussy than the Spendlove clothes bank about what they will take.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Fri 19 Feb 2021, 08:48 (last edited on Fri 19 Feb 2021, 09:48)

The clothes bank operators say what they do with it at https://soex.uk/resource-centre/ , I think. 

Father Clive Dytor
👍

Thu 18 Feb 2021, 19:10

Do you know where they go from there?

Christine Battersby
👍 6

Thu 18 Feb 2021, 17:18

Don't forget the clothing bin outside Charlbury Fire Station -- always neat and tidy, and what happens to the clothes is easier to trace. 

Liz Leffman
👍

Thu 18 Feb 2021, 14:26

The bin is managed by a charity, not by WODC, so not sure.

Father Clive Dytor
👍

Thu 18 Feb 2021, 14:13

What happens to clothes and shoes put into the Spendlove clothes recycling? Thanks.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.