mystery noise

roger
👍

Mon 15 Sep 2008, 22:19

John ,i do not know for sure but i believe that oats are combined in early summer and wheat is combined in august .As i say i am not certain on this but thinking back to my youth which was a long time ago, that was the case then .

John Biggs
👍

Mon 15 Sep 2008, 21:35

Roger - I am not sure whether to be pleased that you have heard the noise or sorry that you have been disturbed by it - on the whole it's good to know that I am not alone. If the grain dryers are used in the early summer as well - do farmers use then for processing hay? - then it may well be this. I will investigate Wilcote if I can, Ken, but not at 2.30 a.m.! Last night, for the first time for a long time, was totally silent - maybe the season for whatever it is is ending.

ken jones
👍

Sun 14 Sep 2008, 13:50

the source of the noise is from the wilcot area of finstock.next time you hear it and it keeps you awake jump in your car and head for wilcot. good hunting

roger short
👍

Sat 13 Sep 2008, 23:20

I heard the noise for the first time this morning at 2-30am and it is quite a loud noise in the still of the night .It does seem to be the sort of time that farmers use grain driers and there is still wheat being cut as we saw the other week albeit it is late for there to still be some to cut mysterious.Also Ken ,you say you live in sturt close for eighty five years ,how can this be when sturt close was only built in the early to mid fifties.

John Biggs
👍

Sat 13 Sep 2008, 17:48

(Janet Biggs) Interesting idea Ken, and we do hear various sounds from Finstock here, but grain dryers in June, when it suddenly became much noisier? I don't think so. I can't claim eighty-five years in the countryside, but I have lived in it for over fifty. so I am not unused to the general rural racket.

ken jones
👍

Fri 12 Sep 2008, 19:22

i lived in sturt close for eighty five years man and boy. the noise you are hearing is grain dryers.from finstock walcot.and surounding areas.welcome to the countryside.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.