Invite for Vaccine for 65-69 year olds?

Helen Wilkinson
👍 1

Tue 23 Feb 2021, 08:06

The NHS website is now open for people aged over 64 to book a vaccine (delivered at the Kassam for us locally)

It was over 65’s until yesterday 

Steve Jones
👍 4

Mon 22 Feb 2021, 15:44 (last edited on Mon 22 Feb 2021, 15:46)

For those that have, like me, recently had the Oxford/AstraZeneca jab, then a new study carried out using statistics from NHS Scotland has shown that it to be very effective at preventing serious illness and hospitalisation. After week four (that is from 28-34 days after vaccination) it is reported to have prevented an estimated 94% of hospitalisations 95% (CI 73%-99%). In the same period if was 84% for the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine. 

However, be a little careful about comparing the results as due to the schedule that was adopted in Scotland for rolling out to health care workers many of those who got the Pfizer vaccine were in the younger age group. I should also add that the effectiveness at preventing hospitalisation of those in older age groups appears to hold up well.

Also, this has not yet been peer-reviewed, but it's still very promising. It also might help counter some of the negative stories there have been about the effectiveness of the AZ vaccine. In the EU it appears to have lead to the AZ vaccine being refused by large numbers of people, not helped by inaccurate statements made by some senior politicians.

For those inclined to such things, here's a link to a pre-print version of the report.

Hannen Beith
👍 1

Fri 19 Feb 2021, 02:04

So can we "re-open" Charlbury, shops and pubs please?

Steve Jones
👍 3

Thu 18 Feb 2021, 20:01

That site has just been updated to show 0 cases for Charlbury (and some surrounding areas). I assuming that they are taking the data feeds off the government site and anything below 3 deaths counts as zero. The good news is that there's now an extensive area in this part of Oxfordshire with low rates.

Christine Battersby
👍 2

Thu 18 Feb 2021, 17:16

The postcode checker for Covid that I use, http://ukcovid19.nw.r.appspot.com , says 3 new cases for Charlbury in the last 7 days. There are several zeroes, including Chipping Norton, Enstone and Bampton, and Witney is down a lot -- but still at 24 adding together the 3 areas. 

It looks as if the vaccines, which got to Chipping Norton before us, are having an effect ... Very good! 

Steve Jones
👍

Thu 18 Feb 2021, 16:54

I also booked my appointment before the letter came through and just read the instructions on the booking confirmation which I would have thought fair enough. It's not a big thing, just a strange oversight.

On a slightly different point, I see on the interactive map that Charlbury and the surrounding district have gone into "white" status. That is fewer than three infections (for some reason knowing if the number is 0, 1 or 2 threatens privacy so it is supressed).

In any event, just three weeks ago we'd gone "blue" with a 7 day infection rate fractionally above the national average. It just shows how wildly things can fluctuate with a relatively few cases in a modest sized population. Good news I guess. Even parts of Oxford are now "white" and all the red (or is it maroon) blotches have gone.

Robin Taylor
👍

Thu 18 Feb 2021, 12:26 (last edited on Thu 18 Feb 2021, 12:27)

If you’ve had the letter inviting you to make an appointment, it has your NHS number on the front, but only in the middle of quite a lot of print on the back does it say 'bring this letter with you to your appointment'. (And having said that, I made my appointment at the Kassam before the letter arrived, because the NHS booking system said you didn’t have to wait for your letter if you were over 65.)

Steve Jones
👍 1

Thu 18 Feb 2021, 11:40 (last edited on Thu 18 Feb 2021, 11:41)

I took a print of the booking confirmation with me but didn't notice there was no NHS number on it which is extremely strange given that I used that to book it in the first place. Fortunately the chap on the second check-in desk wrote my NHS number on the form for me.

Incidentally, the booking confirmation doesn't mention knowing your NHS number at all :-

You will need to bring:

• your booking reference numbers
  • a face covering, unless you cannot wear one for a health or disability reason
susan king
👍 1

Thu 18 Feb 2021, 09:49

Don't forget your NHS number as well as booking ref. You'll be asked for it 3 times. 

Philip Ambrose
👍

Wed 17 Feb 2021, 22:02

Steve, I concur. The staffing level did seem disproportionate to the number of people attending to receive vaccinations.

Steve Jones
👍

Wed 17 Feb 2021, 18:33 (last edited on Thu 18 Feb 2021, 09:27)

I've just had my first jab at the Kassam vaccination centre. It all worked well, but it did seem to me that there was an unnecessarily large number of people involved, which surely increases the risks. There's a huge car park, and even the subsection being use had lots of space yet there were several parking attendants. Then I think I joined (in theory) five different queues and had details taken down on computer at three points (in the entrance vestibule, a second at some desks on the first floor and a final set of clinical checks before the final queue for the injection (but as there were lots of empty stations, each with two staff that was non-existent).

In between there were marshals.

It's a bit of a contrast to the CMC process which is very streamlined in comparison. I know there's the extra bureaucracy of the booking system at Kassam to deal with, but it still seems to be it could be streamlined in order to reduce the number of people indoors at any time as that surely increases risks. At CMC people came with pre-filled forms, and I think that could be used with effect at Kassam for those that have printers.

Note, I'm not ungrateful and I'm sure that many of the people there were volunteers but it seemed to be on an epic scale for the number of people being vaccinated. Perhaps it's not yet got the number of vaccine doses to run at full capacity.

Stephen Andrews
👍 1

Tue 16 Feb 2021, 19:29 (last edited on Wed 17 Feb 2021, 08:59)

Thanks Philip, I know that it is legally permitted to attend a medical appointment. I was questioning the general medical risk, waste of time and resources in continuing to follow this strategy for the future. Any CMC policy change would of course need more vaccines and resources directed locally. This issue is not going away - second vaccines appointments in next few weeks, probably this Autumn and next spring (both double doses?) as modified vaccines to combat COVID variants are brought into play. 

Philip Ambrose
👍 1

Tue 16 Feb 2021, 19:17 (last edited on Tue 16 Feb 2021, 19:34)

Stephen Andrews - Going to the Kassam on one's own for a pre-arranged medical appointment is entirely within the rules. I did not meet up with anyone other than the people staffing the vaccination centre. Also, if it helps relieve pressure on CMC and make "my" jab available asap to someone of lesser mobility, surely that's a bonus?

Stephen Andrews
👍 3

Tue 16 Feb 2021, 18:37

I would have thought that there is a medical argument for somewhere like CMC vaccinating all their patients even if takes longer than directing them to mass vaccination centres? Surely the strict COVID rules to stay at home and not meet up counts for something?

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Tue 16 Feb 2021, 15:19 (last edited on Tue 16 Feb 2021, 15:35)

The newspaper for GPs, Pulse, states: "PCN sites ‘may still vaccinate patients in [cohort five] should a patient request an appointment for reasons including preference and accessibility," and that is what Nikki's posted news item also suggests.

In addition, "GP sites may have to make offers to some in cohort 5 this week – whilst the focus remains on priority groups 1-4 – ‘to ensure all Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines are used without wastage'".

I have just seen Nikki's last post below, however, and recognise that CMC will not be able to satisfy all requests, and will hope that those who have transport would travel to the Kassam -- especially because the BBC reports that an extra 1.7 million people are expected to be added to the 2.3 million on the shielding list, and this is likely to expand the Cohort 6 group by quite a lot. Factors like ethnicity, deprivation will now be added into the calculation as to who should be advised to be shielding.

Rather than wait for the letter of invitation, those aged 65 - 69 who are intending to go to the Kassam for their vaccination would probably do better to telephone 119 or book online at https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/  I imagine there might be quite a rush ...

Nikki Rycroft
👍 3

Tue 16 Feb 2021, 15:12

Just to be absolutely clear, it is not a decision that the CMC are able to take.  They do not offer to vaccinate various groups.  They are clearly told which group they are responsible for vaccinating and there has been widespread press coverage about this emphasising that across the country, the ‘at risk’  cohort will be offered local clinics, and the healthy 65-69 year olds expected to go to the larger centres. 

A small practice will not have capacity to vaccinate their whole population of patients. 

If however anyone finds it difficult to get to Kassam , they can apply to be vaccinated locally. 

Stephen Andrews
👍 4

Tue 16 Feb 2021, 14:11 (last edited on Tue 16 Feb 2021, 14:40)

Just read Nikki's posting on News. It is a shame that CMC could not offer Vaccine's to Group 5 cohort. Driving to Kassam is a waste of time and resources and I would have liked to have supported our local centre.

Nikki Rycroft
👍

Tue 16 Feb 2021, 14:10

I have just posted the latest information we have on News.

The local clinics are only for all patients with underlying health conditions, below age 69, and they will be contacted this week.

All other patients age 65-69 should book on line for Kassam 

susan king
👍 3

Tue 16 Feb 2021, 13:56

Apparently all group 5 have to go to Kassam for their vaccine, (unless they have a good reason not to). Group 6 will start to get their vaccines next week. I don't see why more supplies cannot be sent to local health centres - a lot of unnecessary travelling!!

Philip Ambrose
👍 4

Mon 15 Feb 2021, 14:28

I went to the Kassam yesterday morning for my jab. Plenty of parking and very well run. If you stay in your car until close to your due time, you are then ushered through almost immediately, without queuing. I did wonder about staying local and loyal to CMC, but if vaccine supplies to CMC are limited, "my" jab can now be used for someone else with lesser mobility. 

Robin Taylor
👍 3

Sun 14 Feb 2021, 19:19

I think these are two separate stories. The people turned away yesterday were nursery workers who had been erroneously told they counted as social care workers, and had booked appointments. https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/19089502.covid-vaccine-patients-turned-away-kassam-stadium-oxford/ ;

Today’s evacuation because of the floodlight fire seems to have caused a minor hiccup.https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55959753

Rita Steffens
👍

Sun 14 Feb 2021, 18:34

Oxford are playing football at home the flood lights went out and caused a fire so they had to evacuate the stadium 

Leah Fowler
👍 1

Sun 14 Feb 2021, 17:55

Hundreds turned away from Kassam Stadium vaccination reported as "Utter chaos" 

Stephen Andrews
👍 6

Sat 13 Feb 2021, 14:08 (last edited on Sat 13 Feb 2021, 16:26)

Thanks for all the information. On a personal basis, I shall be a patient patient and wait to get a local CMC call rather than undertake a 40 mile round trip to Kassam 

Nikki Rycroft
👍 4

Sat 13 Feb 2021, 11:19

We understand from CMC that there will be two further clinics run by them in the next two weeks , the numbers offered dependant, of course, on delivery of vaccine. 

The first at the Sports centre may be next Monday. At the moment we have not been informed which categories these will be for,  but we shall post on News as soon as we are told  

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Sat 13 Feb 2021, 10:02 (last edited on Sat 13 Feb 2021, 10:24)

There's a link for the Kassam on this site which is open to the over 65s and the extremely vulnerable: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/

I think CMC would benefit in terms of finances if they did the vaccination, rather than having it done at the Kassam. But there is a cancellation button on this website if a date for local vaccinations was subsequently announced, and I can certainly understand if people would choose not to wait until CMC is granted more vaccine.

There are extra buses from Oxford station to the Kassam, but trains are disrupted on Sundays over the next few weekends because of the Finstock bridge closure.

Joanne Fox
👍 1

Fri 12 Feb 2021, 18:15

You are directed to park next to the entrance. Plenty of parking. You will get a letter with the website or can call 119 to book. 

Liz Puttick
👍

Fri 12 Feb 2021, 17:40

How is the parking at Kassam?

Joanne Fox
👍

Fri 12 Feb 2021, 16:34

I booked Kassam and was very pleased I did. 

No waiting and wondering with online booking of both first and second doses. 

Stephen Andrews
👍

Fri 12 Feb 2021, 16:01

When might we know when the next cohort can be offered a local jab? The previous advice was to wait to be invited by the CMC, but if there are spare appointments at Kassam, wouldn't it make sense to book one of those next week?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.