Upcoming Gigaclear road closures

John Kearsey
👍 1

Fri 5 Feb 2021, 12:10

The only ray of hope I can offer is that these companies usually give a longer estimate for the closure to allow for problems, so at least this should be the maximum - hopefully!

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍 7

Tue 2 Feb 2021, 12:08 (last edited on Tue 2 Feb 2021, 13:36)

Thanks for the replies to my post, I have no problem with Gigaclear actually doing the job but I do have a problem with the timing of the road closures and the fact there has been absolutely no thought or consultation with the businesses in the affected areas and the fact that while January has been and gone the town centre could of been sorted, whilst the country is lockdown the non essential shops can't open and there is less traffic on the road is the perfect time, but no the guys in charge of making the road closures obviously thought lets do all the little back roads and streets first and lets wait until the country "might" just be emerging out of another lock down and then let's close the main through routes in the town centres and screw the local businesses by not allowing traffic through and so they present their road closures to the council chiefs who say yes that sounds like a really good idea, sod the local business we don't need to consult with them let's just pass these road closures.

That is what I have a problem with the lack of thought and consideration to when the road closures should be and in what order they should take place.

There is no helping some people, what's the saying ah yes " You can't fix stupid "    

Graeme Hall
👍 7

Tue 2 Feb 2021, 08:43

Three weeks for a complete closure of one street does seem a very long time. What are they digging with? Tea spoons?

Rosemary Bennett
👍 3

Mon 1 Feb 2021, 21:03

This was a gov’t decision to bring all the hi-tech comms to us country bumpkins, whether we wanted it or not. The town council isn’t responsible for it, Jean. 😟

Jean Adams
👍 3

Mon 1 Feb 2021, 20:44

Tim, can our Town Council get involved to keep the Town centre open?  This is absurd situation. 

Hannen Beith
👍 2

Mon 1 Feb 2021, 18:31

I empathise Tim.

I think all know what I think about MKJ.

In a democracy who on earth allowed this to be visited on us?  Mind you since they've moved their "dump" from Fiveways it's a bit easier, but I pity the people who now have it outside their homes.  

We still have the occasional van parking outside with engine on and doing nothing for 30 mins to an hour.  Easy money I suppose.  No social distancing or masks.  Buses disrupted, people subjected to nuisance.  I suspect that there's money somewhere, but what would I know?

The supervision is lamentable.  To put it mildly.  

Actually I might apply to be an operative.  Money for old rope. 

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍 10

Mon 1 Feb 2021, 18:00

So here we go again !

Closing down Market St from 30th March until 22nd April Really !!!

What is with these guys why can't they do the bl**dy work while the town centre is in Lockdown, there was talk of shops possibly opening again in April ( yes I know it's only talk ) 

So with the possibility of the shops opening in April, then market St. gets closed down !! what are the council and county council people thinking !! Was it not brought up in the consultations with Gigaclear to keep the town centre open  ! 

I know it was talked about in the previous thread !

For gods sake does it not make better sense to do the town centre while in Lockdown and do all the back small streets at a later date ?

Banging my head against a brick wall  

Can't write what I really think but I reckon you have a good idea !!!!!!!

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.