Dead printer

Jean Adams
👍

Wed 3 Feb 2021, 14:28

My Father and Grandfather had cars in 1946. My Father took me to Boarding School at Brentwood in 1947.  We had a television not long after 47.

Wendy Bailey
👍 2

Wed 3 Feb 2021, 10:50

Marmite & Spam! (unless you have tried it don't knock it) Sorry if it against advertising policies. :)

Leah Fowler
👍 1

Wed 3 Feb 2021, 10:13

There weren't bananas available in the war Jean, a friend of mine when given his first banana tried to eat it with the skin on, yes we had an Anderson shelter 

Hannen Beith
👍

Wed 3 Feb 2021, 10:12

Good point about the recycling Colin.

Most fruit and veg was sold in brown paper bags.  Old prams would be grabbed for turning into go-carts.  Bicycles were patched up.  There were no computers/printers/mobile phones.

I grew up in the 1950s and things seemed to be made to last.  Hardly anyone in our town owned a TV, or car, and a lot of our toys were made out of wood.

Those were the days!

Jean Adams
👍 3

Wed 3 Feb 2021, 09:56

He obviously does not come from Essex. Marmite or jam sufficed.

Helen Chapman
👍

Wed 3 Feb 2021, 08:39

I'll have a banana and caraway seed on artisanal rye please, with a russian salad on the side.

Colin Critch
(site admin)
👍 1

Wed 3 Feb 2021, 08:13

I remember as a boy in the early seventies that we had metal bins too, people used to reuse them to burn garden greenery in. I suspect that reuse and recycling was a lot better then as it was possible to make a trip to the local scrap pile at the council garages and come back with enough stuff to make a whole go-cart.  All your old toys went to the next jumble sale or got lost in the garden.

Hannen Beith
👍 1

Tue 2 Feb 2021, 20:47

We had banana and caraway seed sandwiches, or ones with Russian Salad or Shippam's fish paste in.  

Sometimes we had a treat to follow - pink blancmange.  Really special if the glace cherry was on the top.

Jean Adams
👍 2

Tue 2 Feb 2021, 20:11

Olden days? How far back do you wish to go? Marmite sandwiches? 

Were  you evacuated during the war? rationing? Anderson shelters?I think we had metal dustbins then.

Hannen Beith
👍

Tue 2 Feb 2021, 18:27

Thanks again Christine and Colin.

I'll check the cartridges but I reckon you are right Colin.

How I long for the olden days when one just threw everything in the metal dustbin!

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Tue 2 Feb 2021, 13:41

You can hand printers in at Curry's and other stores even if you are not buying a new one -- but probably not until the stores open again.  

What I would like to know is whether there is anywhere to take or send dead laser cartridges at the moment. The last one I bought online is from a firm that does not offer recycling by mail (a mistake!), and other shops are of course still closed. I don't think these can go in the black box because of the hazardous nature of the toner. 

Colin Critch
(site admin)
👍 1

Tue 2 Feb 2021, 13:25

Hi Hannen, It looks like an inkjet printer to me so most probably not worth repairing ( with regards to getting covered in ink ). I know a lot of Epsons get blocked if the head is separate from the ink cartridge. 

Hannen Beith
👍

Tue 2 Feb 2021, 10:54

Thanks Christine and Colin.

We have bought an identical model (refurbished) from eBay.  That's now installed and working fine.  It's my Wife's.  So this one is now surplus to requirements.

Epson WF5110.  L: 46cm. D: 42 cm  H: 30 cm.

I shall measure the black box.  It's about 6 years old.

Christine Battersby
👍

Tue 2 Feb 2021, 10:41

Or if Colin can't fix it & it won't fit in your black box, places like Curry's/PC World take printers to recycle for free. 

If you are buying a new printer from them via Click & Collect, ask if they will take the old one.

Colin Critch
(site admin)
👍

Tue 2 Feb 2021, 08:27

Hi Hannen,

Is the printer too big to put in the black box, which you can e-waste electrical items for free?

How did it die or stop working as I could possibly fix it? What model number is it?

Hannen Beith
👍

Mon 1 Feb 2021, 13:40

I have a dead Epson laser printer I need to dispose of.

Also have a dead dishwasher.

Me next, I expect.

I can see from the WODC site that I can pay £27 to have the dishwasher taken away, and, I think, 2 other things.

So I was thinking of the printer but they don't seem to want them.  

Any ideas?  I think they take 3 items for the £27.  Anyone got anything to get rid of, and we can share the cost?

Printer is my main concern.  It's pretty bulky but it would be nice to recycle it.

Thanks!

Hannen.  

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.