TAX REBATE

Christine Battersby
👍

Tue 26 Jan 2021, 19:17

Although the text from HMRC is almost certainly a scam, it is not true that you might not be due a tax rebate if you do not pay income tax. 

I'm currently doing my tax return (ugh) and just realised that I will be probably be due a refund on PPI payments which are taxed at source at 20%, even though the first £1000 of interest (for basic rate tax payers) or £500 for higher rate tax payers will be tax free. 

Non-tax payers will also have been taxed on any such payments. Martin Lewis (moneysavingexpert.com) has advice on how to get a refund if you don't fill in a self-assessment form. (HMRC doesn't tell you this, however, let alone send out texts, so the advice to avoid any links in a text message is surely correct.)

Simon Walker
👍 3

Tue 26 Jan 2021, 17:58

Just remember as well that the genuine Hector the Inspector (remember him?) only refunds real rebates direct to your bank account, and never your credit credit.  So, if anyone calls, texts or e-mails claiming to be from HMRC and wants your credit card details for a 'refund', its a scam.

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Tue 26 Jan 2021, 16:28 (last edited on Tue 26 Jan 2021, 17:23)

A friend has received a text from the tax office saying she is due a rebate. It’s a scam, she doesn’t pay tax so won’t be due a rebate. Don’t fall for anything like this, folks.

Additionally, this was posted by a friend of hers: 

I've had the "HMRC" phone me twice to tell me the police would be at my door any minute, if I didn't immediately pay a fine for filing a fraudulent return. It was the same guy who had phoned me a few weeks earlier telling me my credit card had been cloned and asking me to confirm my card number, CVV and postal code. I've told him off and hung up on him 3 times now. The last time, I told him he could at least disguise his voice, if he intended to make repeated scam calls to the same person.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.