Hermes delivery - missing!

Julia Webb
👍 3

Thu 28 Jan 2021, 12:46 (last edited on Thu 28 Jan 2021, 12:48)

My main gripe is the lack of customer service. I work for the NHS and am fully aware we are in the middle of a pandemic and things are different, however Covid should not be an excuse for poor customer service or behaviour on anyone's part. 

Hannen Beith
👍

Thu 28 Jan 2021, 11:34

Ah!

Just found the HRG on the Community page.

Hannen Beith
👍

Thu 28 Jan 2021, 10:29

Yes, all very interesting.  Does the Historical Research Group still exist?

Looking back through the thread my comment about house names doesn't make sense (!) as Julia (who started the post) lives in a numbered house!

Like Michele we have never had a problem with Hermes but I think we are easy to find.

Also Emily's house number didn't seem to help!

Good idea re: Google maps Vicky, but not sure how to do it or even if it's worth the bother (for me)!

Perhaps things will get better when the Covid passes and the delivery people are able to check with us again rather than hurling the package at any front door and running away!

My postie round was along the Cowley Road so relatively easy, but I have time and respect for the posties as there are so many different types of letterboxes. All different heights, some with wicked springs which can pinch your fingers, and others with draught excluders which make it very hard(sic) to shove the letters through. And don't get me started about dogs... 

Andrew Chapman
👍 1

Thu 28 Jan 2021, 09:55 (last edited on Thu 28 Jan 2021, 10:05)

Great stuff, Hannen! Though the Mary Wellington referred to gave her name to what is now Fiveways House, it seems, and the cottages date to c.1820, according to the Neighbourhood Plan at https://www.westoxon.gov.uk/media/adwmfpo3/submission-draft-charlbury-neighbourhood-plan.pdf - so I suppose one could perhaps argue a case for either etymology (or both, even, as a fortuitous confluence)! (Blenheim's archivist lives in Charlbury so perhaps we should ask her.)

Edit: I've gone further down the rabbit hole and just found Mary Wellington's will online, though I confess I can't read the writing! She died in 1821.

(Stephen, before you subject me to a scourging from Leah, I live in a quirky little lane too!)

Hannen Beith
👍

Thu 28 Jan 2021, 09:15 (last edited on Thu 28 Jan 2021, 09:16)

Amazing work done by the Historical Research Group here:

https://www.charlbury.info/community/86

Which led me here and to the Pride Map of 1761!

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/oxon/vol10/pp127-157

Charlie M
👍

Thu 28 Jan 2021, 08:07 (last edited on Thu 28 Jan 2021, 08:07)

(insert joke here) ... and giving him the Boot 

(and us)

Yes ... it's early ...

stephen cavell
👍

Thu 28 Jan 2021, 08:00

'Quirky little lanes'  Over to you Leah!

Andrew Chapman
👍 1

Thu 28 Jan 2021, 07:13 (last edited on Thu 28 Jan 2021, 07:19)

While we're quibbling, surely the clue to the age of Hannen's cottage is in the name of the row... which would presumably make it just over 200 years old at most, in honour of an old Etonian leader defeating a European overlord (insert joke here). Many houses in Charlbury have names and not numbers, which is usually for historic reasons as well as council ruling, and is typical in rural places. Presumably your postie beat was somewhere more urban, Hannen? (Which isn't to deny it must be very hard sometimes for delivery people to track us all down in our quirky little lanes.)

Hannen Beith
👍 1

Wed 27 Jan 2021, 19:41 (last edited on Wed 27 Jan 2021, 19:44)

Lol!  

I stand corrected, again. 

No, our cottage is several hundred years old, not Victorian.  Built by the Blenheim Estate for estate workers.

Lord knows when someone decided to number them.

Anyway, my point is the same.  How on earth do you expect posties and delivery people to find a house/cottage when it's down a lane and has no number?  

Agree with Brian, "what3words" is the solution.

I think that some companies have "collection points" e.g. the Co-op, or Londis, so perhaps that may be the answer?

Sorry for saying vanity.   Didn't intend to insult.

Robin Taylor
👍 2

Wed 27 Jan 2021, 19:23

It’s not vanity, Hannen, it’s what the council have decreed. I rang up West Oxon when my parents bought a newly built house in Market Street, to find out what number it should be, and was told, 'There aren’t numbers on that side of Market Street, you’ll have to think up a name.'

Leah Fowler
👍 2

Wed 27 Jan 2021, 18:50

Hannen  the oldest streets in Charlbury do not  have numbers your house is only victorian 

Hannen Beith
👍

Wed 27 Jan 2021, 18:38

I think it's a trifle unfair to have a house name without a number.

I admit that there are exceptions - Blenheim Palace, Ditchley and the ilk.

If you are vain  then you will expect all Posties and delivery drivers to find you.  We have a simple number and have never had a problem.

Try delivering to a strange town and you will understand what I mean.  I did when I was a postie.  Just have both - a name (if you are so inclined) and a number, which is clearly visible, even in the dark.  You can buy a fluorescent sicker for less than a £1

We have.

Sorted.

Brian Murray
👍 3

Wed 27 Jan 2021, 18:31 (last edited on Wed 27 Jan 2021, 19:02)

Kris, As you say, what3words is an excellent app and useful for much more than delivery instructions. It is widely used by the country’s emergency services and so can be a life-saver, for example, should you have an accident on the road or while walking in the Lake District. The app on your phone will give you your precise location with the ‘three words’ which you pass to the police/ambulance.

Two points; if anyone is confused by arriving on the Strand when following your link, I suggest they try to get to what3words.com/about-us/ to see what it’s all about. Also the three words refer to a 3 metre square spot, so if you want be able to give help for deliveries, use your app and make a note of the words when at your front gate/front door, rather than at the end of your garden, in the garage or the downstairs loo.

Leah, try 'what3words' at your front door and on Browns Lane and you'll get two very different sets of words.

Leah Fowler
👍

Wed 27 Jan 2021, 17:53

Vicky , I think it is because our lane is private and WODC will not recognise it although Richard Fairhurst tells me it is on all the old maps of Charlbury and he has put it on the Walkers map! 

K Harper
👍 1

Wed 27 Jan 2021, 16:54

This is also an excellent site and very useful in many situations not just for deliveries 

Kris

https://what3words.com/daring.lion.raceis

vicky burton
👍

Wed 27 Jan 2021, 16:22

I feel like I may as well live in the co-op right now! I am told you can state and position your entrance on googlemaps no?

Leah Fowler
👍 2

Wed 27 Jan 2021, 15:08

According to Googlemaps I live in the CO-OP!!

vicky burton
👍 1

Wed 27 Jan 2021, 14:09

If your house has a name rather than a number, may I suggest you register its location on googlemaps? Many delivery firms use it. Very easy for visitors too!

Wendy Bailey
👍 1

Wed 27 Jan 2021, 11:14

With so many of us having home deliveries and giving different instructions as to where to leave a parcel perhaps it is understandable some are not delivered correctly. At least we are still able to shop on a lock down and most of the time we do get or order delivered. I do like having a photo sent when a parcel is left for me. Perhaps I am just very lucky? 

Emily Algar
👍

Wed 27 Jan 2021, 10:17

We received a notification to say Hermes had delivered our parcel. No parcel to be found. Photo showed the parcel outside number 42 despite our address being 45. Luckily our neighbour held onto it. 

Philip Ambrose
👍 1

Tue 26 Jan 2021, 22:29

My daughter queried the non-delivery of my birthday present. Hermes said they had delivered it. Turns out that they not only put the parcel in her recycling bin, but the notification postcard as well, despite the front door having a letter box! 

Julia Webb
👍 1

Tue 26 Jan 2021, 16:00

The parcel has just turned up. According to the tracking it was delivered Saturday and the driver could not find the address Monday.

Hermes are a shambles as is their tracking system.

At least it is here now. 

Phil Morgan
👍 1

Tue 26 Jan 2021, 14:45

Could it just possibly be because of the recent snow and ice?

michele marietta
👍 3

Tue 26 Jan 2021, 13:54

We’ve had great service from our Hermes driver. Just to offer the other side of the coin. 

Lee Belcher
👍

Tue 26 Jan 2021, 12:09

Hermes at it again!  I'm sorry to say I've had numerous bad experiences with their delivery system.  The worst was when I queried a non-delivery and was sent a photo of a parcel (too small to be mine) outside a front door (not mine) as "proof " that it had been delivered.  The door in the photo was not to be found anywhere near me.  I did eventeually receive my correct parcel ten days later.

Julia Webb
👍

Sat 23 Jan 2021, 18:50

Hello, if anyone has received a parcel for 23 Little Lees, OX7 3HB please call on 07739380613. It supposedly was delivered to my neighbour at 5.19pm. Thanks Julia

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.