Ancient Oak Tree in Ticknell Field

Hamish Nichol
👍 2

Sat 23 Jan 2021, 21:49

Great to see the Town Council commissioning work on this magnificent oak - there have been dead limbs on this tree for a while and with its proximity to play area, football pitch and footpath it was an accident waiting to happen.

John Kearsey
👍 5

Sat 23 Jan 2021, 19:47

I spoke to the guys doing the work. Apparently the tree is hollow but has a good 100 years or so left. The lopping of the branches is more of a safety measure.

Hannen Beith
👍

Fri 22 Jan 2021, 16:55

Thanks Steve.

Very helpful, as usual.

Amanda
👍

Fri 22 Jan 2021, 16:03

Thanks I would just hate to see such a beautiful tree be felled. 

Steve Jones
👍 1

Fri 22 Jan 2021, 14:47 (last edited on Fri 22 Jan 2021, 14:53)

Generally speaking a laurel won't have a main stem that thick. Most large bushes and hedges won't fall within the act. Mostly contractors won't care as the legal liability won't be with them.

In practice, a bit of a common sense has to be applied as I doubt very much anybody will take much notice. The spirit of the law is to maintain the amenity and environment. Unfortunately, if the strict letter of the law doesn't allow for that. Apart from emergency safety work then notice is meant to be given.

However, if you want to stick to the fine detail, then you have to give at least 6 weeks notice of any impending work via a notification of works to trees in a Conservation Area and the good news is that it's free. There's a link on this page.

This is a useful guide.

Hannen Beith
👍 1

Fri 22 Jan 2021, 14:31

Thanks Steve,

Helpful, as always.

But now I have a dilemma.  We have potentially large bushes (e.g. laurel) and a crab apple, which I am enjoined to prune as otherwise they can overhang the pavements around our cottage and I should not like to be responsible for any injuries to pedestrians.  We have a fair few dog walkers around here - apart from others.

I used to do the pruning myself but don't really have the proper tools and 3 years ago had a nasty fall from the top of the wobbly aluminium ladder, but managed to miss the shears, stone wall, and pavement(I fell the "right" side of the wall).

Since then I've engaged a contractor to prune in the Spring and Autumn, and it actually works quite well because he takes all the cuttings away which is another benefit.

So now I'm wondering if I need to get permission, and also, if anyone cares.  I think they'd care more if they lost an eye. 

Steve Jones
👍 1

Fri 22 Jan 2021, 13:43 (last edited on Fri 22 Jan 2021, 13:46)

All qualifying trees in the Charlbury Conservation Area have protection equivalent to a TPO. That means any tree with a stem diameter of more than 75 mm at a height of 1.5 metres above the ground; roughly the diameter of a tin of beaked beans at head height.

Theoretically that means you need to apply for planning permission to prune an established apple tree in your garden.

Phil Morgan
👍

Fri 22 Jan 2021, 12:07

This was planned safety work carried out by the Town Council. The WODC tree officer gave permission for the work.

Hannen Beith
👍

Fri 22 Jan 2021, 11:32

Does it have a TPO on it?

Amanda
👍

Fri 22 Jan 2021, 06:49

Hi can anyone please confirm that the aincent Oak Tree in Ticknell Field has just had a trim and that there is no way that this beautiful tree is going to be felled? 

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.