missed bin collection

Chris Tatton
👍 1

Sun 24 Jan 2021, 19:48

Just had a message from Councillor Andy Graham to say “ the bins will be collected on Tuesday. It would have been Monday but because of the snow” 

John Munro
👍 5

Sun 24 Jan 2021, 19:34

Liz, thanks for your update yesterday.  Que sera sera comes to mind. If we do have to wait another week, then so be it, hardly going to cause Park Street to turn into a ghetto. A number of us used the WODC website to report the problem and if it isn't actually practical for an additional collection to be arranged, I am sure most of us can wait a further 7 days.

Chris Tatton
👍 1

Sun 24 Jan 2021, 18:09

Hannen Beith is totally wrong to suggest that I shouldn’t be “ taking up councillors time when it is really unnecessary, and unfair to them”. I was District Councillor for Charlbury from 1994 to 2002, and was often contacted by Charlbury residents if their bins were not collected as normal. It is bread and butter stuff for a councillor and I was more than happy to help Charlbury residents with this and it was really appreciated by them, as WODC then normally collected them that day or the day after. However now the bins remain out littering Park Street five days later, despite me and others  contacting Environmental Services. It’s a shame really as Environmental Services have been excellent normally, even through out the pandemic.

I messaged our District Councillor Andy Graham  yesterday regarding the bins still being out in the street and received an empathetic and supportive message back within the hour, saying that “I have in the last 10 minutes got onto our officer at WODC reminding them of the need to get a collection done ASAP”. So fingers crossed they will now be collected soon. 

As for any  suggestion  that the refuse lorry cannot access Park Street because of the Gigaclear works, I have in the last week witnessed the Council gritting lorry go through at least twice and perhaps the worlds largest tar lorry go up and down Park Street many times from the Witney direction. WODC also has smaller bin lorries to access the street, that I regularly see out when I am out cycling in West Oxfordshire. I have also moved my car twice this week, so a large builders merchants and skip lorry could come up Park Street and access a house renovation on Priory Lane. 

Liz Leffman
👍 3

Sat 23 Jan 2021, 14:53 (last edited on Sat 23 Jan 2021, 14:55)

Apologies that it has not been possible to get the bins in Park St emptied this week. I had hoped that by now the road would be open, as the closure permit was only valid until Friday, but the road at the top is still closed and the bin lorries therefore can't get through. I have asked the officer at WODC responsible for the schedule to let me know if they will be collected next week and if so when. But it may be that they will have to be delayed till the next scheduled grey bin collection. I will keep people posted here with any further news.

Alex Flynn
👍 2

Sat 23 Jan 2021, 09:16 (last edited on Sat 23 Jan 2021, 09:18)

In other news, Council Tax is set to rise again. Can’t wait! Goody!

Liz Leffman
👍 1

Fri 22 Jan 2021, 10:32

Thank you

Tony Morgan
👍 7

Fri 22 Jan 2021, 09:26 (last edited on Fri 22 Jan 2021, 09:27)

I'd like to second Father Dytor's thanks to Liz for all the work she does for Charlbury, but not all problems need to be referred to her. I have had a couple of problems with my bins and like Gareth I found WODC responded well when I contacted them directly.

Liz Leffman
👍 9

Thu 21 Jan 2021, 23:31 (last edited on Thu 21 Jan 2021, 23:32)

Chris, I was in touch with WODC on Wednesday when I recognised the bins had not been emptied.  I contacted them again today to let them know the road is now accessible which is why I am able to report as I have done. Your email on Wednesday  asked me to "get it sorted later today please". I am flattered that you think I have the power  to sort everything instantly. I realise that it is very annoying that the bins have not been emptied, but sometimes stuff just happens. I am sure that it will be sorted as soon as it can be done

Father Clive Dytor
👍 8

Thu 21 Jan 2021, 21:24

Thank you to Liz for being such a diligent servant of our community.

Gareth Epps
👍 3

Thu 21 Jan 2021, 21:12

The only couple of times I have had to report missed bin collections (only one in Charlbury) WODC has dealt with it the next day.  Not all local authorities are as efficient...

Chris Tatton
👍 2

Thu 21 Jan 2021, 20:47 (last edited on Thu 21 Jan 2021, 21:00)

Thanks Hannen. Yes I now realise that Liz Leffman is too busy to deal with such issues, so contacted WODC Environmental Dept via Council web site, as you suggested. 

Hannen Beith
👍 2

Thu 21 Jan 2021, 20:33

Well it's the "curse of MKJ" again!

But please don't harangue Liz who has enough on her plate and does so much to help us all.

Instead go over to https://www.westoxon.gov.uk/contact-us/ and that site is where you will find everything you need.  It really is very good, as are Ubico.

So, from the WODC site you can download or check dates of collections.  And, like me (ahem) you can sign up for weekly email alerts to advise you of changes to "normal" collection dates.  It's excellent.

You can also use the site to request additional or replacement bins of whatever sort.

Easy peasy, but I accept that if you don't have a computer it is a little harder.  You have to use the telephone!  Shock horror!  

The structure is in place and works.  Please don't take up Councillors' time when it really is unnecessary, and unfair to them.

Chris Tatton
👍

Thu 21 Jan 2021, 20:20

Also Contacted  WODC Environmental Dept earlier today, so fingers crossed. 

Liz Leffman
👍 4

Thu 21 Jan 2021, 19:58 (last edited on Thu 21 Jan 2021, 20:13)

I am of course well aware of the problem as I live in Park St. The lorry was not able to access the street due to it being completely closed at the top end, as they would have had to reverse to get out, unlike last week when it was accessible at both ends. Food waste is collected by a smaller vehicle which is why that was able to be done. I have asked WODC if the lorry can come tomorrow now that the road is open. The officer concerned will come back to me in the morning to let me know if this is possible and if not when the bins will be collected so please leave them out for the time being..  They are however 15 operatives short due to Covid this week so they may struggle to come back to Charlbury as well as do their usual rounds

Chris Tatton
👍

Thu 21 Jan 2021, 19:52

yeah the whole of Park street was missed. I e mailed Cllr Leffman about it  yesterday, but have received no reply to date. 

Suzy M-H
👍

Thu 21 Jan 2021, 19:32

Think the whole of Park Street has been missed. Could it be due to the roadworks (although fine last week)?

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍

Thu 21 Jan 2021, 19:32

Bins collected today in market st, you got missed probably due to the road being closed, was anyone else in park st missed ? 

Liz Puttick
👍 1

Thu 21 Jan 2021, 19:13

Anyone else? Ours was due on Wedn for this week (Park St) but not collected. We left bin out again today in hope but no luck. Reported on wodc website, hoping not to have to wait for another 2 weeks or haul it out to Stanton Harcourt...

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.