Has anyone got any molehills in their garden or nearby field

Liz Reason
👍

Sun 24 Jan 2021, 11:04

Thanks Sarah.  I shall sow my tomato seeds into baked molehill!

Sarah Geeson Brown
👍 2

Sat 23 Jan 2021, 22:17

Liz, your 1/3 each mix is perfect for potting on seedlings (make sure it's seived). But more mature plants and especially tomatoes - which are heavy flowering and fruiting plants - need a slightly richer mix when grown within the constraints of a pot. I would give them 50:50 loam and compost. When flowering, feed them with your own comfrey 'tea' which gives them the right proportion of N, P and K. https://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/comfrey. Dont use nettle tea - it's rich in nitrogen and will only encourage too much leafy growth. You need the potassium and phosphate to help root and flower development. 

It's brilliant that you're making your own potting mix. And thereby avoiding grow bags, which often contain peat and are stuffed with fertilisers.

Btw, I only bake the loam in small quantities to give enough for a seed tray or two! It's such a good seed sowing medium. 

Liz Reason
👍

Sat 23 Jan 2021, 15:24

Thanks Sarah.  Unfortunately that page is missing.  But I've seen a recipe that says one-third soil, one-third leaf mould and one-third home compost.  The molehills are nicely sifted soil which is why I was after them. (I've just collected a barrow-load from near home fortunately).  I can't quite imagine putting that much soil in the oven!  Though I understand the benefit of sterilisation.  I've got the leaf mould and the home compost.  I'm not sure what the fertility is of this combination.  Can I grow tomatoes in it?

Sarah Geeson Brown
👍 3

Mon 18 Jan 2021, 21:44 (last edited on Sat 23 Jan 2021, 17:29)

Have a look at this from Garden Organic on how to make your own potting mixes.

https://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/peat-free-growing

Molehills provide lovely loam. But for seed sowing I usually sterilise it by baking in a hot oven for 20 mins. Kills the grass and weed seeds so they dont compete with your own seeds.

Brigid Avison
👍

Mon 18 Jan 2021, 16:47

Could you share the recipe, Liz?

Liz Reason
👍

Sun 17 Jan 2021, 14:19

Thank you! Walked there yesterday but wasn't looking for them then.

Liz Leffman
👍

Sun 17 Jan 2021, 12:29

There are masses on the Mill Field!

Liz Reason
👍

Sun 17 Jan 2021, 11:58

I'm making my own potting compost as an experiment and molehill soil is a recommended ingredient.  I'll come and dig it out....

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.