Spendlove Recycling

Carl A Perkins
👍 2

Fri 15 Jan 2021, 23:11

Thanks Hannen, I hadn’t seen that when I looked on WODC. Luckily we have a spare black box so can fit everything in there ready for next collection day. I didn’t realise that our guys collected clothing too, also useful to know!

Hannen Beith
👍 2

Fri 15 Jan 2021, 22:52

Yes it's a great service.  The small electricals need to be put in a black box for collection on recycling day.  They take cables old toasters etc. but not monitors.  See:  https://www.westoxon.gov.uk/bins-and-recycling/what-to-put-in-your-bin/recycling-blue-lidded-bin-and-black-box/

Also:  "Anything that has a plug, batteries or needs charging can be put in your black recycling box."

Carl A Perkins
👍

Fri 15 Jan 2021, 21:16

Agreed John they do an important and thankless job, but I don’t think they’ll take the volume of old computer equipment, sky boxes and telephones - not to mention all the cables of various types I’ve accumulated over the years - and I wouldn’t expect them to. They have enough to collect.

Thanks all but I think I’ll just take a trip up to Alkerton tip

john h
👍 4

Fri 15 Jan 2021, 20:52

I was under the impression small electrical bits had to be put in a separate box,not in the blue bin. I have a black box marked Small Electrcal and since the demise of the pink bin in Spendlove, all my electricals are picked up on normal bin day. PS. These lads do a stirling job. J Harrison 

Hannen Beith
👍

Fri 15 Jan 2021, 18:09

We try to keep small electricals going, but if they are beyond (professional) repair we put them in a spare black box and Ubico always take them.

Liz Leffman
👍 3

Fri 15 Jan 2021, 17:51 (last edited on Fri 15 Jan 2021, 17:52)

Please do not take electrical items to the bring site.  There used to be pink box there for them but this went some time ago as you can recycle these items in your blue recycling bin.

Any cardboard will be collected at the kerbside even if it does not fit into your recycling bin. But if you do take it to the Spendlove please make sure that you break it down as much as possible so others can put stuff in as well. Not only will that mean it is tidier, it means we avoid what is technically fly-tipping when stuff is left on the ground.

Michael Peake
👍 1

Fri 15 Jan 2021, 14:28

Carl, someone may correct me but I think breaking down the boxes is primarily to ensure they take up as little room as possible in the bin.

The obvious benefit is that more people can fit their recycling in the bin (rather than on the floor by it). The less obvious benefit is that it's cheaper for the council (and then, in theory, us). From what I recall, firms charge by the bin (volume), not by the weight of what's being recycled. Any air in the bin is lost money.

Carl A Perkins
👍

Fri 15 Jan 2021, 14:04

Has anyone been there recently? Just wondering if the skips are viable for the addition of (quite a few) flattened cardboard boxes and a box full of small electrical appliances and cables...

Also, how broken down to boxes need to be to recycle them there?

Many thanks!

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.