Scam phone calls Beware

Hannen Beith
👍 1

Fri 15 Jan 2021, 18:02

You're right Christine but I delete them as fast as I can and then I don't think I can block them!

They've stopped now anyway.

Christine Battersby
👍 2

Fri 15 Jan 2021, 10:34 (last edited on Fri 15 Jan 2021, 10:35)

I don't understand why Hannen does not immediately block texts from a scammer. It's far too easy to click on texts by mistake.  Hannen, if your texting app does not allow you to do this, change to one that allows you to do this easily (e.g. Textra, a free SMS app for android phones that can be downloaded from Google Play Store).

On landlines, the current advice is : never use the Call Back button in responding to a potential scam. If you do so, having a dialling tone won't help.

In addition, on landline phones the line stays open for a short period unless both callers replace their respective handsets (and the initiating caller might stay on the line longer than you suppose). A few years ago BT reduced the clearing time in an attempt to block this kind of scam, but one should always wait several minutes before phoning back, and ideally also call from a different phone. Or try phoning 1471 to check the line has cleared.

Andrew Greenfield
👍 1

Fri 15 Jan 2021, 08:41

Not on our handsets of a cordless system Kris.

We hear nothing until we dial and then press the green button to call.  This may vary with the phone make but I haven't  heard a dialing tone for years.

K Harper
👍

Thu 14 Jan 2021, 23:33

But surely when you go to make a call on your landline you listen for the dialling tone first? Kris

Hannen Beith
👍

Thu 14 Jan 2021, 19:50

Thanks Andrew.  Appreciated.

Andrew Greenfield
👍 1

Thu 14 Jan 2021, 19:35 (last edited on Thu 14 Jan 2021, 19:41)

Hannen, whilst you might be concerned about a text from (supposedly) your own bank, you should never click on any link included in that text.

That would be the same as, and carry the same risk, as clicking on a link in an email from someone who says they are from your own bank but could be anyone at all. Also you should never call straight back on any number a caller such as that gave you.

You should immediately contact your bank using your normal means, and if that is by phone, use another system, eg use a mobile if a call came by landline or vice-versa, as the line they rang can be held open by the caller so that any call you try make on the same handset goes straight back to them, not the number you dial.

Colin Critch
(site admin)
👍

Thu 14 Jan 2021, 16:17 (last edited on Thu 14 Jan 2021, 16:26)

You can report Phishing email attempts to report@phishing.gov.uk see

https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/information/report-suspicious-emails

report calls at https://www.bt.com/consumer/edw/scams

and here https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/nuisance-calls-and-messages/spam-texts-and-nuisance-calls/report-spam-texts-and-nuisance-sales-calls/

I have had some Amazon Phishing calls on the land line and have blacklisted the numbers ( you can do blacklist on Gigaset phones and I have also made a custom system that screeches fax sounds down the line using a modem ). The scamers use internet assigned phone numbers so blacklisting them may not do much good. They just need a few profitable hits to make it worth while ( normally banking details/ passwords).

Hannen Beith
👍 1

Wed 13 Jan 2021, 12:24 (last edited on Wed 13 Jan 2021, 12:25)

There are scam texts now as well!

I have received two two days in succession. 

Purportedly from TSB (with whom I do not, and never have, banked).  The messages are sent in the wee small hours and advise that a Mr "X" (the name is different each day) has withdrawn funds from my TSB account.  "If you did not authorise this please click on the following link..."

Of course, I don't, and I delete the message. I think I will try and block the sender if it continues.  

A little perturbing as, if it was from my own bank, I might unwittingly click on the link, and then who knows?

One to watch.

stephen cavell
👍 2

Wed 13 Jan 2021, 09:26

Just received one myself. Luckily I had read the warnings on this thread earlier so was not caught out.

Brigid Sturdy
👍 2

Tue 12 Jan 2021, 17:20

There's an Amazon scam going around, as we discovered this morning. Beware of calls claiming that an expensive order has been made by someone overseas using your account and bank card number.  After a lot of determined talk involving a fake Amazon security web page, the punchline is a demand for your bank details, supposedly in order to refund you the money. (The card in question, of course, had not been used.)

Richard Broughton
(site admin)
👍

Sat 9 Jan 2021, 12:23

I have learned privately that Jean does not have an account with Lloyds, which raises the worrying issue that the scammer has managed to get both a landline and a mobile number. That can happen through a compromised database from some other source.

Like Tim I have had calls to both my landline and my mobile regarding suspicious activity on my card, and in both cases it did involve stopping fraudulent charges on the card.

Ever vigilant one must be in the digital world.

Tim Gosling
👍

Sat 9 Jan 2021, 12:14

Richard is probably right. I have had calls from the Bank to the home and mobile number as well due to odd usage of my card. How do you know it is a scam (unless you dont actually have an account with Lloyds of course)? The instant reaction is now for us to hang up when anyone from a Bank calls. I would be inclined to give the Bank a call on the number that is listed on their website. 

Richard Broughton
(site admin)
👍 1

Sat 9 Jan 2021, 11:40

I may be wrong, but I don't think it is common for scammers to try two separate phone numbers like that. If you do have banking with Lloyds you may wish to give them a call on the number you have for them just to check.

Jean Adams
👍

Sat 9 Jan 2021, 10:53

Several times today on mobile and house phone from Lloyds Bank supposedly anti fraud .

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.