Mystery noise

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Thu 4 Sep 2008, 13:17

Fingers crossed!

And, with that, I'll close this thread for now.

roger short
👍

Thu 4 Sep 2008, 12:49

Richard ,believe me when i say i would like nothing more than for this to stop right now.But as you will observe it is not i that wants to carry this on .Whlst i agree that i have been as tenacious as Igor, you must agree that i have asked for this to cease on more than one occasion to no avail .I do enjoy the website and people have spoken to me in the street saying that they look out for my postings on the website .Hopefully from this moment on things will return to how they have been for at least two weeks or so ,I HOPE SO.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Thu 4 Sep 2008, 11:17

Can we let this drop, please?

roger short
👍

Thu 4 Sep 2008, 11:12

Igor thanks for thinking of me that is kind of you ,perhaps you would care to explain to an ignorant person like me exactly what you are implying .

Igor Goldkind
👍

Thu 4 Sep 2008, 09:05

Roger, here's another dictionary definition that might prove helpful to your arguments:

www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/caricature

John Biggs
👍

Thu 28 Aug 2008, 19:35

(Janet Biggs) First of all - thanks, Roger. Thank you for your ideas, Graham, Brigid, Katie and William. However I don't think it can be either combines or trains, as 1) I have heard the hum, less loudly, during the winter, so not combines, and 2)0 not trains, as when the wind is in the direction when I can hear the trains, the hum is not so noticeable, so I think it may come from the other direction (N, NE or NW. Also this hum is continuous - I can hear it faintly now, at 19.36, as there is not much wind or other noise, and certainly goes on all night. Brigid's is the closest so far to what I am experiencing, but she is lucky that it only lasts half an hour!

William Crossley
👍

Wed 27 Aug 2008, 23:34

The noise from the railway in the early hours this week is track maintenance, mainly tamping, which is repacking the stone ballast under and between the sleepers. The last trains in each direction in the evenings are being replaced by buses. Tomorrow night (Thursday-Friday) is the last night for this work.

Katie Ewer
👍

Wed 27 Aug 2008, 21:47

With regard to hums early in the morning, I have noticed very noisy engines on the railway over the last week or so. I thought they might be doing track inspections or maintenance? I have noticed it several times from about 4 am onwards (teething baby- arrgh!), and certainly not at the usual times that we hear the early train. This is definitely a much deeper and louder noise than the train. It might be what you can hear if you are a bit further from the track?
As an aside, would it be possible to have a single thread on this forum that isn't hijacked by people sniping and bickering, and just generally turning this forum into a nasty, snide and pedantic vent for their personal disagreement. I'm actually getting so sick of it that I can't really be arsed to read new threads because I know that sooner or later, it will descend......
Could we maybe just try to stick to the subject at hand for once and for the relief of the rest of us? PLEASE!

John D
👍

Wed 27 Aug 2008, 19:29

At around 5.15 a train runs through Charlbury without stopping, to get to Moreton in Marsh to form the first London bound train of the morning. At about 9.35PM the 20.22 from Paddington calls at Charlbury. Over the past year the trains have been re-engined with quieter engines (the old ones had a characteristic high-pitch turbine noise). It's not these newly re-engined trains perchance?

John

brigid allen
👍

Wed 27 Aug 2008, 18:29

Combines at 4.45 a.m.? That was when I woke this morning hearing a hum much as Janet has described it; I think it went on until about 5.15, but can't be sure. I've occasionally heard it before, earlier in the night, and gone round the house looking for the cause, but failed to find it. My house backs on to a small substation just off Dancer's Hill, but the hum from that is very low and never bothers me. I'd be interested to know if anyone else had the same experience early this morning.

roger short
👍

Tue 26 Aug 2008, 22:20

Please accept my apologies janet as i did not intend to trivialise what is obviously something of a concern to you .It was remiss of me.It is just the fact that this man from the city does not know or seem to care about this enviroment and he uses every excuse to mock in some way the way that people think about things that happen in the country.But that said it does not excuse me from making light of it either and in future i will refrain from doing so.

graham W
👍

Tue 26 Aug 2008, 21:39

It may be the sound of combine harvesters in the distance, as we all aware the weather has been bad so Farmer Giles is busy at night, Just a thought

John Biggs
👍

Tue 26 Aug 2008, 19:21

(Janet Biggs) Whilst Roger and Igor are obviously enjoying themselves, I was hoping for some useful information.

roger
👍

Mon 25 Aug 2008, 23:10

Could this be Igor humming before he gets on his bike,maybe he is just winding himself up for the daily grind of life in this dull dreary place most of us call home.

John Biggs
👍

Mon 25 Aug 2008, 17:52

(Janet Biggs) Thanks for the DEFRA website, Harryd - very interesting. I did know that hums are a global phenomenon, but still they have a huge range of sources, which is what I am trying to find. Also, this cannot be called 'low frequency', as the research is all about frequencies of less than 100Hz, whereas this one is 350Hz - relatively high.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Mon 25 Aug 2008, 14:26

www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/parochialism

Igor Goldkind
👍

Mon 25 Aug 2008, 14:24

Is it the background drone of conformist parochialism?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/parochialism"parochialism/a

Harryd
👍

Mon 25 Aug 2008, 12:04

References to the 'Hum' – it's a worldwide phenomenon.

www.defra.gov.uk/environment/noise/research/lowfrequency/pdf/lowfreqnoise.pdf

http://homepages.tesco.net/~John.Dawes2/

John Biggs
👍

Mon 25 Aug 2008, 10:41

Mystery noise continued: should have said the PM report is from Sudbury in Suffolk.

John Biggs
👍

Mon 25 Aug 2008, 10:38

(From Janet Biggs, not John). I have been disturbed for several months now by a humming sound at night (not particularly high or low: about E above middle C. It is probably there in the daytime too, but is masked by other sounds. I begin to hear it clearly at about 9.30 p.m. It frequently wakes me up. It is an external sound (not in the house) but I can't work out which direction it comes from. Other people in the Stonesfield Lane area have heard it too, but are not as bothered by it as I am. I don't hear it if I am away from home, so definitely not tinnitus. Orange mast, electric sub-station, railway lines, little green men? I would very much like to know if other people can hear this, and over what area. This posting has been sparked because I heard an item on Tuesday 19th Aug on PM (Radio 4), and their comments fit in with mine. Apparently their District Council are looking into it.

This thread has been locked. You cannot add any further replies.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.